Re: Radio Camp

  • murray_428
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@u...>
      wrote:
      > Dont forget to tell them to bring their FRS
      > walkie Talkie's to camp. Then use them
      > for all coordination. Teach them proper
      > Radio procedures. Plan games around
      > them RADIO CLUE, DFing, etc... during
      > their break periods. de WB4APR

      Robert - I'd be interested in learning about the games you mention
      above. Is there a website that details them? Thanks,
      Joe
      Scoutmaster - Troop 109
      KC2MKS
    • KB3CVS (Tom)
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
        Greetings!

        I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get more
        scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew in the
        Baltimore, MD area? We seem to be having a hard time locating scouts
        who want to learn more about radio and computers, which the Venture Crew
        specializes in.

        We've tried to invite the local scouts to Field Day in the past, and
        this year we're doing so once again - offering up being able to work on
        the Radio Merit badge as something they can do while visiting, and
        perhaps camping overnight with us for Field Day.

        As far as Field Day goes, we've been invited the last several years to
        join the ARINC Amateur Radio club in an absolutely beautiful park
        (Thomas Point Park, in Annapolis, MD) which is a beautiful penninsula
        right across from the Thomas Point Lighthouse in the Chesapeake Bay.
        Unfortunately, we've only had a few folks join us in years past. (Last
        year's Press Release from ARINC:
        http://www.arinc.com/news/2003/06-25-03.html )

        I was really hoping someone here might have some ideas how to
        "advertise" or draw attention to it, to increase our audience. We're
        trying getting our local district and council to put something in the
        newsletters and web pages. Any other ideas? I'm concentrating on a
        Field Day experience (we've been to district campouts, and the like
        before) hoping the equipment and activity will be of interest.

        Thanks for your time!

        -Tom-
        Tom Hendricks
      • Bill Stewart
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
          Tom, getting more youth involved in a strictly Amateur Radio Venturing
          Crew is a difficult proposition. It is difficult in that we are a
          specific interest group as opposed
          to a general interest or high adventure crew.
          We in Venturing Crew 80 have combined Amateur Radio with first aid and
          until recently we provided first aid support to our district camporees.
          Our youth nixed providing that support after they provided support to
          the Red Cross, City of Alexandria, VA and Fairfax County, VA during
          Hurricane Isabel
          and felt that they had "out grown" the Boy Scouts.
          We still do support our district and council, but, in ways that allows
          the youth to interact more with their peers.
          We also support such events as the Marine Corps Marathon here in DC and
          the Make-A-Wish Foundation Triathlon in Bethany Beach, DE. We have been
          fortunate to have the resources available to us to secure tours of the
          US. Coast Guard Communications Area Master Station Atlantic (CAMSLANT)
          in Chesapeke, VA and US Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, NC. This
          trip included a familiarity flight aboard a US Coast Guard HC-130J
          Search and Rescue Aircraft. CAMSLANT is the Coast Guard radio station
          which sent the last morse code transmission on the old 500khz distress
          frequency.
          The combination of the two shows the youth the public service uses of
          Amateur Radio and radio in general. Our primary method of recruiting is
          through the running
          of Technician Class license courses. We do it over three weekends using
          the ARRL material and lecture.

          Any questions please email me directly at w2bsa@...

          73,

          Bill Stewart, W2BSA, Venturing Crew 80, National Capital Area Council,
          Colonial District

          KB3CVS (Tom) wrote:

          >Greetings!
          >
          >I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get more
          >scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew in the
          >Baltimore, MD area? We seem to be having a hard time locating scouts
          >who want to learn more about radio and computers, which the Venture Crew
          >specializes in.
          >
          >We've tried to invite the local scouts to Field Day in the past, and
          >this year we're doing so once again - offering up being able to work on
          >the Radio Merit badge as something they can do while visiting, and
          >perhaps camping overnight with us for Field Day.
          >
          >As far as Field Day goes, we've been invited the last several years to
          >join the ARINC Amateur Radio club in an absolutely beautiful park
          >(Thomas Point Park, in Annapolis, MD) which is a beautiful penninsula
          >right across from the Thomas Point Lighthouse in the Chesapeake Bay.
          >Unfortunately, we've only had a few folks join us in years past. (Last
          >year's Press Release from ARINC:
          >http://www.arinc.com/news/2003/06-25-03.html )
          >
          >I was really hoping someone here might have some ideas how to
          >"advertise" or draw attention to it, to increase our audience. We're
          >trying getting our local district and council to put something in the
          >newsletters and web pages. Any other ideas? I'm concentrating on a
          >Field Day experience (we've been to district campouts, and the like
          >before) hoping the equipment and activity will be of interest.
          >
          >Thanks for your time!
          >
          >-Tom-
          >Tom Hendricks

          >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
          >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

          >Visit the "Adventure Radio Society" http://www.natworld.com/ars/
          >
          >ScoutRadio start page:
          >
          >Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Tom Sharp
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
            Hello from Arizona,

            Explorer Post 599 has tried different things for Field Day.  We've gone to local clubs FD sites, but found that the youth didn't fit well into the club's intensive FD efforts.  The last few years, we've set up our own FD on the back-porch of a member's cabin in the mountains, and just let the guys have fun.  If they wanted to work hard and go for big scores, great, but if they wanted to sit around and have fun, great.  No pressure.  We had invited others in the past, but now just keep it as a fun weekend for the Post.

            We get the word out about us in many other ways.  We have an info booth at every hamfest.  We're at the Scout-O-Rama.  We try to get to several camporees in the fall.  It's surprising how many camporees are held on JOTA weekend.  We have flyers at our local Ham Radio Outlet and at the Science Center.  And we try to capture any new youth we find on the air.

            The one thing that turned the Post around from "iffy...will it make it" to "active..can't wait to go" has been weekly meetings.  Every Tuesday we have a workshop-type meeting, doing projects, taking stuff apart, getting on the air, etc.  Every fourth Tuesday of the month is our business meeting, where we take care of planning coming events, elections, etc.  In addition to the business portion of the meeting, we have a presentation of some sort.  Last month, US Forest Service came in with their fire and radio gear.  This month we will be planning for our comm role at a weekend long bike rally in March.

            We are currently building a couple of repeaters, making collinear antennas (in Dec we made portable J-poles).  Plus we are helping about five guys get their tech licenses.

            Also, we have a repeater where the youth hang out and can behave as youth.  And an email reflector where we pass info and have fun.  We're helping those that want to build web-pages off our club page (www.post599.org).

            Don't worry about numbers.  We've had as few as five youth and are now about 20 strong.  Just be there and have fun and have things for them to do.

            73

            ---Tom Sharp  WA9OXY
            Explorer Post 599    W7BSA
            Phoenix, AZ

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
              Tom,
              Have you considered finding an agency that needs good volunteer help &
              training to their standards? For example, the USCG Auxiliary has an
              excellent watch stander program to assist the USCG with comms
              issues. Steep learning curve involved. Or perhaps FEMA. Again, steep
              learning curve, but worthwhile. All things that can attract youth in your
              "market"

              Another option for field day or JOTA would be to find the local Sea Scout
              Ship & work maritime mobile, either from their boat, or perhaps a historic
              vessel docked in the area. If you wanted to persue this, www.seascout.org
              has a look up function for the nearest Sea Scout Ship.

              My Sea Scout has a bunch of radio gear aboard or training vessel. We have
              HF, various data modes, multiple GPS receivers, VHF public safety & UHF
              public safety radios (with appropriate paperwork), and on board computers
              (Linux & NT). Even with all of the above toys, we have a hard time
              finding other Scout units who want to do JOTA, or field day.

              Martin

              Martin A. Flynn
              Sea Scout Ship 243, BSA
              M/V Seahorse
              http://ship243.org

              ==> The preceding message does not necessarily represent the <==
              ==> position of the Boy Scouts of America. <==

              At 11:43 AM 2/13/04, KB3CVS (Tom) wrote:
              >Greetings!
              >
              >I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get more
              >scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew in the
              >Baltimore, MD area? We seem to be having a hard time locating scouts
              >who want to learn more about radio and computers, which the Venture Crew
              >specializes in.
            • kd5fdw
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
                I went to the USS Massachusetts with my Tiger cub a few years ago.
                They had a radio block where they did some Morse code. In less than
                30 minutes all the scouts were able to send messages with the letters
                E, I, S, H, T, M & O. It was amazing that almost everyone could send
                a few words or a sentence and receive with just those letters.

                I am sure there are better orders to learn the letters..such as the
                Koch method, but this is a way to get 5 wpm Morse code exposure and
                success very quickly.

                David
                nd4su

                --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, k5hal@a... wrote:
                [snip]
                Tech class, no code. But, with some exposure to the code.
                [snip]
                Is there any chance of teaching 5 wpm code during the 20
                > or so classroom hours avaialble? The scouts would leave with
                > Electronics and Radio Merit Badges, a working radio, and some would
                > have their tech license. They would have a list of volunteer
                Elmers,
              • ray@sirois.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 15, 2004
                  > I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get > more scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew
                  > in the Baltimore, MD area?
                  > We seem to be having a hard time locating... ... ...

                  My fundamental approach:

                  1. I don't primarily hold events where I am
                  trying to attract scouts/units/patrols to come to me.
                  Rather, I make it a point to have a station or two set up
                  at every significant scouting event where scouts
                  are already located.

                  eg: Last week, there was a big "Scout Show",
                  1000 scouts + leaders at a big civic center event.
                  We had an HF station, 2m Station, APRS running.
                  It attracted a lot of attention among parents and boys.

                  eg: Fall Camporee... sometimes the fall camporee
                  falls on JOTA weekend, sometimes it does not.
                  Either way, have a station set up. If you can't
                  get into the rotation of the program. Ask to set
                  one up anyway.

                  eg: Summer Camps... have a ham radio night
                  each week... After doing this for 6 years, we
                  finally got a staff member licensed, so now
                  they teach Radio MB during the day... We
                  still show up once a week for HF night.

                  eg: THere is a week of "Winter Camp" this
                  week at Camp Hinds. I'm teaching Radio MB
                  each night there on my way home from work.
                  We get 8-10 Radio MB's this way each year,
                  and it plants the seed.

                  I read of many other Go-To-Scouts examples
                  here on this reflector all the time.

                  2. At each of these scouting events
                  publicize the courses you might teach for
                  actually getting licensed. AND
                  If you hold a Radio MB course,
                  conduct it for Scouts, Parents, and advertise
                  it in papers for the general public as well.
                  Get it co-sponsored by the Red Cross or
                  something so you draw from several
                  community groups. Not just scouts.

                  I have no problem getting 12-20 registrants
                  aged 10-70 years of age coming together
                  to get their license. I hold two classes a
                  year... and perhaps in different towns each
                  time. My fall course usually involves a
                  "Hands-On Saturday" which, by the way,
                  happens on JOTA weekend. <wink>

                  3. Be a familiar face at Roundtables, and perhaps
                  on the District Camping Committees. This
                  way you can influence the inclusion of
                  Ham Radio at events, and with a little luck,
                  you might be able to influence the DATE of
                  Fall Camporees to fall on that infamous
                  3rd full weekend in October.

                  Have a dream. eg If several
                  districts all have their fall camporee on
                  JOTA weekend, you can score a major
                  victory by getting the stations at each
                  camporee to work each other!
                  (In my experience, this is harder to align
                  than the 9 planets of our solar system...
                  but dream about the possibilities, and chip
                  away at making it happen.)

                  4. Sooner or later the community of
                  interested or licensed Scouts, Parents, and
                  Leaders you grow will be organizing their
                  own JOTA events and asking for your help.

                  5. There are tons of Den Leaders, Unit Leaders
                  who are looking for ideas for their meetings. Let
                  them know you can fill one of their vacant spots
                  on their schedule with a Ham Radio Demonstration.
                  How? Roundtables or Council newsletters.

                  In a nutshell: don't ask people to come to us.
                  We need to meet them where ever they are
                  already at.

                  Ray N1RY
                  WJ0TA Maine
                • KB3CVS (Tom)
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 15, 2004
                    Thank you everyone for the ideas.

                    Unfortunately, we've tried most of them, with very little success.

                    We'll keep plugging away, but thanks again for the ideas.

                    The radio license classes are just about the only thing we haven't
                    tried, and there are many radio clubs here in the area, which seem to be
                    having a hard time filling their classes as well.

                    So far, the Radio Merit Badge has been the most productive for us, and I
                    suppose we'll keep working on that as well.

                    Thanks again!

                    -Tom-

                  • Robert Bruninga
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 19, 2004
                      >>> zano_52@... 2/12/04 1:39:00 PM >>>

                      > Dont forget to tell them to bring their FRS
                      > walkie Talkie's to camp. Then use them
                      > for all coordination. Teach them proper
                      > Radio procedures. Plan games around
                      > them RADIO CLUE, DFing, etc... during
                      > their break periods. de WB4APR

                      Robert - I'd be interested in learning about the games you mention
                      above. Is there a website that details them? Thanks,
                      KC2MKS

                      REPLY: Sure, http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/sitemap.html
                      slide down till you find KIDS and SCOUTS...

                      de WB4APR, Bob

                      Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them
                      subscibe to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth