Re: Radio Camp

  • k5hal
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004
      --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, k5hal@a... wrote:
      > How about a little guidance.
      > We are discussing having a one week Radio Camp at Chester County
      > Council Camp Ware next summer. The goal would be licensing up to
      20
      > scouts. Tech class, no code. But, with some exposure to the
      code.
      Ham Radio Camp progress report:
      We plan for each scout to build a Rock-Mite with special
      crystals for the tech band.
      I have our technical staff lined up. We see strong
      interest in the program. We will also offer Radio and Electronics
      merit badges.
      Is there any point in teaching much CW? We do plan to try to
      infect the scouts with the CW bug. We plan to spend a little time on
      the subject, we will not have the time to do it right. We
      will send them off with a CD with a freeware CW program or two. Part
      of the plan is to give them a list of local Elmers who have
      volunteered to help them. The goal is to leave them infected with the
      ham virus, a working radio, and the tools to keep them interested.
      We are still receptive to ideas and suggestions.
      Regards, cullen K5HAL
    • Robert Bruninga
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004
        Dont forget to tell them to bring their FRS
        walkie Talkie's to camp. Then use them
        for all coordination. Teach them proper
        Radio procedures. Plan games around
        them RADIO CLUE, DFing, etc... during
        their break periods. de WB4APR

        >>> k5hal@... 2/12/04 10:32:01 AM >>>
        --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, k5hal@a... wrote:
        > How about a little guidance.
        > We are discussing having a one week Radio Camp at Chester County
        > Council Camp Ware next summer. The goal would be licensing up to
        20
        > scouts. Tech class, no code. But, with some exposure to the
        code.
        Ham Radio Camp progress report:
        We plan for each scout to build a Rock-Mite with special
        crystals for the tech band.
        I have our technical staff lined up. We see strong
        interest in the program. We will also offer Radio and Electronics
        merit badges.
        Is there any point in teaching much CW? We do plan to try to
        infect the scouts with the CW bug. We plan to spend a little time on
        the subject, we will not have the time to do it right. We
        will send them off with a CD with a freeware CW program or two. Part
        of the plan is to give them a list of local Elmers who have
        volunteered to help them. The goal is to leave them infected with the
        ham virus, a working radio, and the tools to keep them interested.
        We are still receptive to ideas and suggestions.
        Regards, cullen K5HAL

        Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them
        subscibe to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth

        Visit the "Adventure Radio Society"
        http://www.natworld.com/ars/

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • scouter@fmaynard.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004
          On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, k5hal wrote:

          > We plan for each scout to build a Rock-Mite with special
          > crystals for the tech band.

          What a great idea! At least when they get done they will have a working
          rig and a reason to learn the code.

          > Is there any point in teaching much CW?

          You're right, it would take longer than a week to do it right, but you
          might want to have them learn to send their first name (I know it's
          probably the wrong way to get started since there's a specific order in
          which the letters should be learned). You could also have some code
          playing in the background during some of the sessions, not really to teach
          them the code but to get them exposed to the sound and the rhythm.
          Eventually some of them will start picking out letters.

          Good luck and I look forward to future reports on the project! 73

          --
          YiS,
          Frank Maynard, NF8M
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@u...>
            wrote:
            > Dont forget to tell them to bring their FRS
            > walkie Talkie's to camp. Then use them
            > for all coordination. Teach them proper
            > Radio procedures. Plan games around
            > them RADIO CLUE, DFing, etc... during
            > their break periods. de WB4APR

            Robert - I'd be interested in learning about the games you mention
            above. Is there a website that details them? Thanks,
            Joe
            Scoutmaster - Troop 109
            KC2MKS
          • barry griffin
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004
              Hope everything works very well. I will also be
              helping with a radio class at Summer Camp at clements
              Scout Ranch (Cherokee in Athens Texas)with the
              operators from the Athens Radio Club.We will be
              demostrating PSK 31 and HF. there will be a 440
              repeater setup up out there permitley.I believe the
              call sign for the Athens Radio Club is K5EHP. 73's

              Barry Griffin
              KD5PXU
              Boy Scout Troop 322
              Greenville,Texas

              --- k5hal <k5hal@...> wrote:
              > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, k5hal@a... wrote:
              > > How about a little guidance.
              > > We are discussing having a one week Radio Camp at
              > Chester County
              > > Council Camp Ware next summer. The goal would be
              > licensing up to
              > 20
              > > scouts. Tech class, no code. But, with some
              > exposure to the
              > code.
              > Ham Radio Camp progress report:
              > We plan for each scout to build a Rock-Mite
              > with special
              > crystals for the tech band.
              > I have our technical staff lined up. We see
              > strong
              > interest in the program. We will also offer Radio
              > and Electronics
              > merit badges.
              > Is there any point in teaching much CW? We do
              > plan to try to
              > infect the scouts with the CW bug. We plan to spend
              > a little time on
              > the subject, we will not have the time to do it
              > right. We
              > will send them off with a CD with a freeware CW
              > program or two. Part
              > of the plan is to give them a list of local Elmers
              > who have
              > volunteered to help them. The goal is to leave them
              > infected with the
              > ham virus, a working radio, and the tools to keep
              > them interested.
              > We are still receptive to ideas and
              > suggestions.
              > Regards, cullen K5HAL

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
            • barry griffin
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004

                --- k5hal <k5hal@...> wrote:
                > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, k5hal@a... wrote:
                > > How about a little guidance.
                > > We are discussing having a one week Radio Camp at
                > Chester County
                > > Council Camp Ware next summer. The goal would be
                > licensing up to
                > 20
                > > scouts. Tech class, no code. But, with some
                > exposure to the
                > code.
                > Ham Radio Camp progress report:
                > We plan for each scout to build a Rock-Mite
                > with special
                > crystals for the tech band.
                > I have our technical staff lined up. We see
                > strong
                > interest in the program. We will also offer Radio
                > and Electronics
                > merit badges.
                > Is there any point in teaching much CW? We do
                > plan to try to
                > infect the scouts with the CW bug. We plan to spend
                > a little time on
                > the subject, we will not have the time to do it
                > right. We
                > will send them off with a CD with a freeware CW
                > program or two. Part
                > of the plan is to give them a list of local Elmers
                > who have
                > volunteered to help them. The goal is to leave them
                > infected with the
                > ham virus, a working radio, and the tools to keep
                > them interested.
                > We are still receptive to ideas and
                > suggestions.
                > Regards, cullen K5HAL

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
              • KB3CVS (Tom)
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
                  Greetings!

                  I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get more
                  scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew in the
                  Baltimore, MD area? We seem to be having a hard time locating scouts
                  who want to learn more about radio and computers, which the Venture Crew
                  specializes in.

                  We've tried to invite the local scouts to Field Day in the past, and
                  this year we're doing so once again - offering up being able to work on
                  the Radio Merit badge as something they can do while visiting, and
                  perhaps camping overnight with us for Field Day.

                  As far as Field Day goes, we've been invited the last several years to
                  join the ARINC Amateur Radio club in an absolutely beautiful park
                  (Thomas Point Park, in Annapolis, MD) which is a beautiful penninsula
                  right across from the Thomas Point Lighthouse in the Chesapeake Bay.
                  Unfortunately, we've only had a few folks join us in years past. (Last
                  year's Press Release from ARINC:
                  http://www.arinc.com/news/2003/06-25-03.html )

                  I was really hoping someone here might have some ideas how to
                  "advertise" or draw attention to it, to increase our audience. We're
                  trying getting our local district and council to put something in the
                  newsletters and web pages. Any other ideas? I'm concentrating on a
                  Field Day experience (we've been to district campouts, and the like
                  before) hoping the equipment and activity will be of interest.

                  Thanks for your time!

                  -Tom-
                  Tom Hendricks
                • Bill Stewart
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
                    Tom, getting more youth involved in a strictly Amateur Radio Venturing
                    Crew is a difficult proposition. It is difficult in that we are a
                    specific interest group as opposed
                    to a general interest or high adventure crew.
                    We in Venturing Crew 80 have combined Amateur Radio with first aid and
                    until recently we provided first aid support to our district camporees.
                    Our youth nixed providing that support after they provided support to
                    the Red Cross, City of Alexandria, VA and Fairfax County, VA during
                    Hurricane Isabel
                    and felt that they had "out grown" the Boy Scouts.
                    We still do support our district and council, but, in ways that allows
                    the youth to interact more with their peers.
                    We also support such events as the Marine Corps Marathon here in DC and
                    the Make-A-Wish Foundation Triathlon in Bethany Beach, DE. We have been
                    fortunate to have the resources available to us to secure tours of the
                    US. Coast Guard Communications Area Master Station Atlantic (CAMSLANT)
                    in Chesapeke, VA and US Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, NC. This
                    trip included a familiarity flight aboard a US Coast Guard HC-130J
                    Search and Rescue Aircraft. CAMSLANT is the Coast Guard radio station
                    which sent the last morse code transmission on the old 500khz distress
                    frequency.
                    The combination of the two shows the youth the public service uses of
                    Amateur Radio and radio in general. Our primary method of recruiting is
                    through the running
                    of Technician Class license courses. We do it over three weekends using
                    the ARRL material and lecture.

                    Any questions please email me directly at w2bsa@...

                    73,

                    Bill Stewart, W2BSA, Venturing Crew 80, National Capital Area Council,
                    Colonial District

                    KB3CVS (Tom) wrote:

                    >Greetings!
                    >
                    >I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get more
                    >scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew in the
                    >Baltimore, MD area? We seem to be having a hard time locating scouts
                    >who want to learn more about radio and computers, which the Venture Crew
                    >specializes in.
                    >
                    >We've tried to invite the local scouts to Field Day in the past, and
                    >this year we're doing so once again - offering up being able to work on
                    >the Radio Merit badge as something they can do while visiting, and
                    >perhaps camping overnight with us for Field Day.
                    >
                    >As far as Field Day goes, we've been invited the last several years to
                    >join the ARINC Amateur Radio club in an absolutely beautiful park
                    >(Thomas Point Park, in Annapolis, MD) which is a beautiful penninsula
                    >right across from the Thomas Point Lighthouse in the Chesapeake Bay.
                    >Unfortunately, we've only had a few folks join us in years past. (Last
                    >year's Press Release from ARINC:
                    >http://www.arinc.com/news/2003/06-25-03.html )
                    >
                    >I was really hoping someone here might have some ideas how to
                    >"advertise" or draw attention to it, to increase our audience. We're
                    >trying getting our local district and council to put something in the
                    >newsletters and web pages. Any other ideas? I'm concentrating on a
                    >Field Day experience (we've been to district campouts, and the like
                    >before) hoping the equipment and activity will be of interest.
                    >
                    >Thanks for your time!
                    >
                    >-Tom-
                    >Tom Hendricks

                    >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
                    >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                    >Visit the "Adventure Radio Society" http://www.natworld.com/ars/
                    >
                    >ScoutRadio start page:
                    >
                    >Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Tom Sharp
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
                      Hello from Arizona,

                      Explorer Post 599 has tried different things for Field Day.  We've gone to local clubs FD sites, but found that the youth didn't fit well into the club's intensive FD efforts.  The last few years, we've set up our own FD on the back-porch of a member's cabin in the mountains, and just let the guys have fun.  If they wanted to work hard and go for big scores, great, but if they wanted to sit around and have fun, great.  No pressure.  We had invited others in the past, but now just keep it as a fun weekend for the Post.

                      We get the word out about us in many other ways.  We have an info booth at every hamfest.  We're at the Scout-O-Rama.  We try to get to several camporees in the fall.  It's surprising how many camporees are held on JOTA weekend.  We have flyers at our local Ham Radio Outlet and at the Science Center.  And we try to capture any new youth we find on the air.

                      The one thing that turned the Post around from "iffy...will it make it" to "active..can't wait to go" has been weekly meetings.  Every Tuesday we have a workshop-type meeting, doing projects, taking stuff apart, getting on the air, etc.  Every fourth Tuesday of the month is our business meeting, where we take care of planning coming events, elections, etc.  In addition to the business portion of the meeting, we have a presentation of some sort.  Last month, US Forest Service came in with their fire and radio gear.  This month we will be planning for our comm role at a weekend long bike rally in March.

                      We are currently building a couple of repeaters, making collinear antennas (in Dec we made portable J-poles).  Plus we are helping about five guys get their tech licenses.

                      Also, we have a repeater where the youth hang out and can behave as youth.  And an email reflector where we pass info and have fun.  We're helping those that want to build web-pages off our club page (www.post599.org).

                      Don't worry about numbers.  We've had as few as five youth and are now about 20 strong.  Just be there and have fun and have things for them to do.

                      73

                      ---Tom Sharp  WA9OXY
                      Explorer Post 599    W7BSA
                      Phoenix, AZ

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
                        Tom,
                        Have you considered finding an agency that needs good volunteer help &
                        training to their standards? For example, the USCG Auxiliary has an
                        excellent watch stander program to assist the USCG with comms
                        issues. Steep learning curve involved. Or perhaps FEMA. Again, steep
                        learning curve, but worthwhile. All things that can attract youth in your
                        "market"

                        Another option for field day or JOTA would be to find the local Sea Scout
                        Ship & work maritime mobile, either from their boat, or perhaps a historic
                        vessel docked in the area. If you wanted to persue this, www.seascout.org
                        has a look up function for the nearest Sea Scout Ship.

                        My Sea Scout has a bunch of radio gear aboard or training vessel. We have
                        HF, various data modes, multiple GPS receivers, VHF public safety & UHF
                        public safety radios (with appropriate paperwork), and on board computers
                        (Linux & NT). Even with all of the above toys, we have a hard time
                        finding other Scout units who want to do JOTA, or field day.

                        Martin

                        Martin A. Flynn
                        Sea Scout Ship 243, BSA
                        M/V Seahorse
                        http://ship243.org

                        ==> The preceding message does not necessarily represent the <==
                        ==> position of the Boy Scouts of America. <==

                        At 11:43 AM 2/13/04, KB3CVS (Tom) wrote:
                        >Greetings!
                        >
                        >I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get more
                        >scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew in the
                        >Baltimore, MD area? We seem to be having a hard time locating scouts
                        >who want to learn more about radio and computers, which the Venture Crew
                        >specializes in.
                      • kd5fdw
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
                          I went to the USS Massachusetts with my Tiger cub a few years ago.
                          They had a radio block where they did some Morse code. In less than
                          30 minutes all the scouts were able to send messages with the letters
                          E, I, S, H, T, M & O. It was amazing that almost everyone could send
                          a few words or a sentence and receive with just those letters.

                          I am sure there are better orders to learn the letters..such as the
                          Koch method, but this is a way to get 5 wpm Morse code exposure and
                          success very quickly.

                          David
                          nd4su

                          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, k5hal@a... wrote:
                          [snip]
                          Tech class, no code. But, with some exposure to the code.
                          [snip]
                          Is there any chance of teaching 5 wpm code during the 20
                          > or so classroom hours avaialble? The scouts would leave with
                          > Electronics and Radio Merit Badges, a working radio, and some would
                          > have their tech license. They would have a list of volunteer
                          Elmers,
                        • ray@sirois.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 15, 2004
                            > I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get > more scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew
                            > in the Baltimore, MD area?
                            > We seem to be having a hard time locating... ... ...

                            My fundamental approach:

                            1. I don't primarily hold events where I am
                            trying to attract scouts/units/patrols to come to me.
                            Rather, I make it a point to have a station or two set up
                            at every significant scouting event where scouts
                            are already located.

                            eg: Last week, there was a big "Scout Show",
                            1000 scouts + leaders at a big civic center event.
                            We had an HF station, 2m Station, APRS running.
                            It attracted a lot of attention among parents and boys.

                            eg: Fall Camporee... sometimes the fall camporee
                            falls on JOTA weekend, sometimes it does not.
                            Either way, have a station set up. If you can't
                            get into the rotation of the program. Ask to set
                            one up anyway.

                            eg: Summer Camps... have a ham radio night
                            each week... After doing this for 6 years, we
                            finally got a staff member licensed, so now
                            they teach Radio MB during the day... We
                            still show up once a week for HF night.

                            eg: THere is a week of "Winter Camp" this
                            week at Camp Hinds. I'm teaching Radio MB
                            each night there on my way home from work.
                            We get 8-10 Radio MB's this way each year,
                            and it plants the seed.

                            I read of many other Go-To-Scouts examples
                            here on this reflector all the time.

                            2. At each of these scouting events
                            publicize the courses you might teach for
                            actually getting licensed. AND
                            If you hold a Radio MB course,
                            conduct it for Scouts, Parents, and advertise
                            it in papers for the general public as well.
                            Get it co-sponsored by the Red Cross or
                            something so you draw from several
                            community groups. Not just scouts.

                            I have no problem getting 12-20 registrants
                            aged 10-70 years of age coming together
                            to get their license. I hold two classes a
                            year... and perhaps in different towns each
                            time. My fall course usually involves a
                            "Hands-On Saturday" which, by the way,
                            happens on JOTA weekend. <wink>

                            3. Be a familiar face at Roundtables, and perhaps
                            on the District Camping Committees. This
                            way you can influence the inclusion of
                            Ham Radio at events, and with a little luck,
                            you might be able to influence the DATE of
                            Fall Camporees to fall on that infamous
                            3rd full weekend in October.

                            Have a dream. eg If several
                            districts all have their fall camporee on
                            JOTA weekend, you can score a major
                            victory by getting the stations at each
                            camporee to work each other!
                            (In my experience, this is harder to align
                            than the 9 planets of our solar system...
                            but dream about the possibilities, and chip
                            away at making it happen.)

                            4. Sooner or later the community of
                            interested or licensed Scouts, Parents, and
                            Leaders you grow will be organizing their
                            own JOTA events and asking for your help.

                            5. There are tons of Den Leaders, Unit Leaders
                            who are looking for ideas for their meetings. Let
                            them know you can fill one of their vacant spots
                            on their schedule with a Ham Radio Demonstration.
                            How? Roundtables or Council newsletters.

                            In a nutshell: don't ask people to come to us.
                            We need to meet them where ever they are
                            already at.

                            Ray N1RY
                            WJ0TA Maine
                          • KB3CVS (Tom)
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 15, 2004
                              Thank you everyone for the ideas.

                              Unfortunately, we've tried most of them, with very little success.

                              We'll keep plugging away, but thanks again for the ideas.

                              The radio license classes are just about the only thing we haven't
                              tried, and there are many radio clubs here in the area, which seem to be
                              having a hard time filling their classes as well.

                              So far, the Radio Merit Badge has been the most productive for us, and I
                              suppose we'll keep working on that as well.

                              Thanks again!

                              -Tom-

                            • Robert Bruninga
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 19, 2004
                                >>> zano_52@... 2/12/04 1:39:00 PM >>>

                                > Dont forget to tell them to bring their FRS
                                > walkie Talkie's to camp. Then use them
                                > for all coordination. Teach them proper
                                > Radio procedures. Plan games around
                                > them RADIO CLUE, DFing, etc... during
                                > their break periods. de WB4APR

                                Robert - I'd be interested in learning about the games you mention
                                above. Is there a website that details them? Thanks,
                                KC2MKS

                                REPLY: Sure, http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/sitemap.html
                                slide down till you find KIDS and SCOUTS...

                                de WB4APR, Bob