Re: [Scoutradio] Philmont HQ Coordinates

  • Scott Sarah
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 12, 2004
      The only drawback I see is the scout has to be a HAM by FCC law. But
      getting the tech license isnt that tough if they study for a month or
      2. unless Philmont gets the ok someway to use them w/o the scout being
      licenced...... I would guess they would need to carry about 2-3 extra
      battery packs too. I have been on a Trek once and been to the Rocky
      Mountain Scout camp (summer camp for the scouts while their parents are
      doing their stuff) 2 times.

      Another problem I see are trees.....it takes longer for GPS's to lock on
      through trees. and if they are down in one of the "valleys" getting out
      with it might be tough.

      Scott KA8S
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 12, 2004
        On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Bob Bruninga wrote:

        > I just zoomed in and see terrific APRS coverage (of Philmont). SO
        > anyone with a D7 HT can send and receive APRSmessages and Email and be
        > tracked. Here is a link to the north east corner of New Mexico showing
        > the area: <snip>

        Here is a better map:
        http://www.jfindu.net/near.asp?Latitude=36.45&Longitude=-104.95&Metric=0

        It looks plain, but it shows more detail as you right click. Also, I will
        downgrade my use of the word "terrific" above, to "good" depending on
        terrain of which I have no personal experience. But it looks like the
        digi on topof WBALDY is the nearest.

        This is a live map, so if there was someone there on APRS, you would see
        him...

        But even this map has no Scout detail on it.

        I will volulnteer to digitize a custom map for Philmont if someone will
        send me a paper map that has lat/long on it.

        de WB4APR, Bob