Re: [Scoutradio] Philmont HQ Coordinates

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 12, 2004
      On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Chris Kelly wrote:

      > The central part of Philmont is the Headquarters, which is
      > WGS84 36 degrees, 27.19 minutes North, 104 degrees, 57.49 minutes West.
      > APRS would be cool, but it would have to be extremely light weight
      > to get used in the field.

      I just zoomed in and see terrific APRS coverage in the area. SO anyone
      with a D7 HT can send and receive APRSmessages and Email and be tracked.
      Here is a link to the north east corner of New Mexico showing the area:

      http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/dmap.cgi?zoom=1&offsetx=275&offsety=266
      &map=usawest.mp&scale=0.6&last=24&width=640
      &height=480&click.x=322&click.y=248

      The link is too long for a single cut and paste but just paste all 3 lines
      above into your browser and you can see the map. Ill work on getting a
      better MAP background. The view above covers all the way down to Santa Fe

      > It may be a really good idea for the rangers when they need to get to
      > an emergency, to be able to send coordinates of the Actual site after
      > they locate the lost crew, but I bet most crews would not be wild about
      > carrying any extra gear (12 days, high altitude, heavy packs).
      > Maybe the Kenwood handheld (D7??).

      Yes, the D7 by itself does perfect. And a scout should be able to get his
      LAT/LONG from the map, so nothing else at all is needed. (no reason to lug
      along a GPS)...

      Ill work on a much shorter link. We need to be able to zoom in to
      Philmont for MOMs and Dads that want to watch what is going on there (on
      APRS, that is)...

      de WB4APR, Bob
    • Scott Sarah
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 12, 2004
        The only drawback I see is the scout has to be a HAM by FCC law. But
        getting the tech license isnt that tough if they study for a month or
        2. unless Philmont gets the ok someway to use them w/o the scout being
        licenced...... I would guess they would need to carry about 2-3 extra
        battery packs too. I have been on a Trek once and been to the Rocky
        Mountain Scout camp (summer camp for the scouts while their parents are
        doing their stuff) 2 times.

        Another problem I see are trees.....it takes longer for GPS's to lock on
        through trees. and if they are down in one of the "valleys" getting out
        with it might be tough.

        Scott KA8S
      • Bob Bruninga
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 12, 2004
          On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Bob Bruninga wrote:

          > I just zoomed in and see terrific APRS coverage (of Philmont). SO
          > anyone with a D7 HT can send and receive APRSmessages and Email and be
          > tracked. Here is a link to the north east corner of New Mexico showing
          > the area: <snip>

          Here is a better map:
          http://www.jfindu.net/near.asp?Latitude=36.45&Longitude=-104.95&Metric=0

          It looks plain, but it shows more detail as you right click. Also, I will
          downgrade my use of the word "terrific" above, to "good" depending on
          terrain of which I have no personal experience. But it looks like the
          digi on topof WBALDY is the nearest.

          This is a live map, so if there was someone there on APRS, you would see
          him...

          But even this map has no Scout detail on it.

          I will volulnteer to digitize a custom map for Philmont if someone will
          send me a paper map that has lat/long on it.

          de WB4APR, Bob