Re: [Scoutradio] Philmont area repeaters

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 11, 2004
      So I can see how Philmont fits into the APRS digipeater infrastructure for
      APRS tracking of patrols in and around Philmont, can someone post the
      LAT/LONG of the center of activity on Philmont?

      thanks, WB4APR, Bob
      On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Chris
      Kelly wrote:

      > Howdy:
      > The angel fire repeater is accessible from the west side
      > of Philmont, and in the east, but not as well in the valleys
      > of central Philmont.
      >
      > Last Summer, there were at least 3 hams on the staff. They
      > met on the air every night at 8 or 8:30 and we worked them several
      > times from the back country. One worked at the dining hall,
      > and the other two were at back-country camps. They were a great
      > link to the world in case of emergency.
      >
      > Also, from the higher country, you could hit some of
      > the Mega-link repeaters in the area.
      >
      > Contact KD7TQO, the staffer at the dining hall. He has a big list of
      > active frequencies in and around Philmont and will
      > have good tips from his long experience there.
      >
      > Chris Kelly, K0PF
      > Loveland, CO
      > Trustee of W0BSA

      > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

      > ScoutRadio start page:
      >
      > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      de WB4APR@..., Bob

      PCsat WEB page http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html
      ISS-APRS FAQ: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
      CUBESAT Designs http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/cubesat.html
      APRS LIVE pages http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html
      APRS SATELLITES http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html
      MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite http://ssdl.stanford.edu/mims/
    • Chris Kelly
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 12, 2004
        Howdy:
        The central part of Philmont is the Headquarters, which is
        WGS84 36 degrees, 27.19 minutes North, 104 degrees, 57.49 minutes West.

        APRS would be cool, but it would have to be extremely light weight
        to get used in the field. Most Crews are so weight-conscious that
        we shared everything so not everyone would have to carry mosquito
        repellent (tiny bottle of Jungle juice) and a radio is a serious
        committment when you end up the week joking about carrying all those
        extra unused postcard stamps!

        It may be a really good idea for the rangers when they need to get to
        an emergency, to be able to send coordinates of the Actual site after
        they locate the lost crew, but I bet most crews would not be wild about
        carrying any extra gear (12 days, high altitude, heavy packs).
        Maybe the Kenwood handheld (D3??).

        It would be worth considering what kind of highly integrated solution
        might work (very small).

        73,
        Chris Kelly, K0PF
      • Scott Sarah
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 12, 2004
          Chris Kelly wrote:

          all they need is the kenwood D7A (has a built in TNC) HT (5 watts...at
          high alts and open "space" can get pretty far)and a GPS antenna.

          scott KA8S
        • Bob Bruninga
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 12, 2004
            On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Chris Kelly wrote:

            > The central part of Philmont is the Headquarters, which is
            > WGS84 36 degrees, 27.19 minutes North, 104 degrees, 57.49 minutes West.
            > APRS would be cool, but it would have to be extremely light weight
            > to get used in the field.

            I just zoomed in and see terrific APRS coverage in the area. SO anyone
            with a D7 HT can send and receive APRSmessages and Email and be tracked.
            Here is a link to the north east corner of New Mexico showing the area:

            http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/dmap.cgi?zoom=1&offsetx=275&offsety=266
            &map=usawest.mp&scale=0.6&last=24&width=640
            &height=480&click.x=322&click.y=248

            The link is too long for a single cut and paste but just paste all 3 lines
            above into your browser and you can see the map. Ill work on getting a
            better MAP background. The view above covers all the way down to Santa Fe

            > It may be a really good idea for the rangers when they need to get to
            > an emergency, to be able to send coordinates of the Actual site after
            > they locate the lost crew, but I bet most crews would not be wild about
            > carrying any extra gear (12 days, high altitude, heavy packs).
            > Maybe the Kenwood handheld (D7??).

            Yes, the D7 by itself does perfect. And a scout should be able to get his
            LAT/LONG from the map, so nothing else at all is needed. (no reason to lug
            along a GPS)...

            Ill work on a much shorter link. We need to be able to zoom in to
            Philmont for MOMs and Dads that want to watch what is going on there (on
            APRS, that is)...

            de WB4APR, Bob
          • Scott Sarah
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 12, 2004
              The only drawback I see is the scout has to be a HAM by FCC law. But
              getting the tech license isnt that tough if they study for a month or
              2. unless Philmont gets the ok someway to use them w/o the scout being
              licenced...... I would guess they would need to carry about 2-3 extra
              battery packs too. I have been on a Trek once and been to the Rocky
              Mountain Scout camp (summer camp for the scouts while their parents are
              doing their stuff) 2 times.

              Another problem I see are trees.....it takes longer for GPS's to lock on
              through trees. and if they are down in one of the "valleys" getting out
              with it might be tough.

              Scott KA8S
            • Bob Bruninga
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 12, 2004
                On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Bob Bruninga wrote:

                > I just zoomed in and see terrific APRS coverage (of Philmont). SO
                > anyone with a D7 HT can send and receive APRSmessages and Email and be
                > tracked. Here is a link to the north east corner of New Mexico showing
                > the area: <snip>

                Here is a better map:
                http://www.jfindu.net/near.asp?Latitude=36.45&Longitude=-104.95&Metric=0

                It looks plain, but it shows more detail as you right click. Also, I will
                downgrade my use of the word "terrific" above, to "good" depending on
                terrain of which I have no personal experience. But it looks like the
                digi on topof WBALDY is the nearest.

                This is a live map, so if there was someone there on APRS, you would see
                him...

                But even this map has no Scout detail on it.

                I will volulnteer to digitize a custom map for Philmont if someone will
                send me a paper map that has lat/long on it.

                de WB4APR, Bob