Philmont area repeaters

  • n2cop
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 11, 2004
      Happy New Year to all:

      My Life Scout, Grant (KG4OCD), will be going to Philmont this
      summer. Does anyone know if you can hit any 2 meter or 440 MHz
      repeaters from Philmont? According to ARRL's Repeater Directory,
      there appears to be a 2 meter repeater about 20 miles west of base
      camp in Angel Fire (N5LEM 147.34). Other repeaters listed appear to
      be either too far away or I can't find them on the map I have. Grant
      and I would appreciate any comments. Many thanks.

      73 es Yours In Scouting,

      Bill Morine, N2COP
      Co-Advancement Chair, Troop 215
      Cape Fear Council
      Wilmington, NC
    • Chris Kelly
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 11, 2004
        Howdy:
        The angel fire repeater is accessible from the west side
        of Philmont, and in the east, but not as well in the valleys
        of central Philmont.

        Last Summer, there were at least 3 hams on the staff. They
        met on the air every night at 8 or 8:30 and we worked them several
        times from the back country. One worked at the dining hall,
        and the other two were at back-country camps. They were a great
        link to the world in case of emergency.

        Also, from the higher country, you could hit some of
        the Mega-link repeaters in the area.

        Contact KD7TQO, the staffer at the dining hall. He has a big list of
        active frequencies in and around Philmont and will
        have good tips from his long experience there.

        Chris Kelly, K0PF
        Loveland, CO
        Trustee of W0BSA
      • ClayMayrose@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 11, 2004
          There is a way you can make a 4 element, 2 meter beam out of a plastic drop cloth and alarm tape that can extend the range of a HT in the high country.

          Lay out a plastic drop cloth flat on the ground and apply the alarm tape in the same dimensions and spacing as you would for a conventional 2 meter beam.  You can use alligator clips to the make the coax (RG-174) connections to the driven element.  Tuning is made easy with an antenna analyzer but can be done just a VSWR meter.  This works out to a very lightweight sturdy antenna.

          Clay, WA6LBU
          T-344 Luther Oklahoma
        • Bob Bruninga
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 11, 2004
            So I can see how Philmont fits into the APRS digipeater infrastructure for
            APRS tracking of patrols in and around Philmont, can someone post the
            LAT/LONG of the center of activity on Philmont?

            thanks, WB4APR, Bob
            On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Chris
            Kelly wrote:

            > Howdy:
            > The angel fire repeater is accessible from the west side
            > of Philmont, and in the east, but not as well in the valleys
            > of central Philmont.
            >
            > Last Summer, there were at least 3 hams on the staff. They
            > met on the air every night at 8 or 8:30 and we worked them several
            > times from the back country. One worked at the dining hall,
            > and the other two were at back-country camps. They were a great
            > link to the world in case of emergency.
            >
            > Also, from the higher country, you could hit some of
            > the Mega-link repeaters in the area.
            >
            > Contact KD7TQO, the staffer at the dining hall. He has a big list of
            > active frequencies in and around Philmont and will
            > have good tips from his long experience there.
            >
            > Chris Kelly, K0PF
            > Loveland, CO
            > Trustee of W0BSA

            > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

            > ScoutRadio start page:
            >
            > Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            de WB4APR@..., Bob

            PCsat WEB page http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html
            ISS-APRS FAQ: http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
            CUBESAT Designs http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/cubesat.html
            APRS LIVE pages http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs.html
            APRS SATELLITES http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html
            MIM/Mic-E/Mic-Lite http://ssdl.stanford.edu/mims/
          • Chris Kelly
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 12, 2004
              Howdy:
              The central part of Philmont is the Headquarters, which is
              WGS84 36 degrees, 27.19 minutes North, 104 degrees, 57.49 minutes West.

              APRS would be cool, but it would have to be extremely light weight
              to get used in the field. Most Crews are so weight-conscious that
              we shared everything so not everyone would have to carry mosquito
              repellent (tiny bottle of Jungle juice) and a radio is a serious
              committment when you end up the week joking about carrying all those
              extra unused postcard stamps!

              It may be a really good idea for the rangers when they need to get to
              an emergency, to be able to send coordinates of the Actual site after
              they locate the lost crew, but I bet most crews would not be wild about
              carrying any extra gear (12 days, high altitude, heavy packs).
              Maybe the Kenwood handheld (D3??).

              It would be worth considering what kind of highly integrated solution
              might work (very small).

              73,
              Chris Kelly, K0PF
            • Scott Sarah
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 12, 2004
                Chris Kelly wrote:

                all they need is the kenwood D7A (has a built in TNC) HT (5 watts...at
                high alts and open "space" can get pretty far)and a GPS antenna.

                scott KA8S
              • Bob Bruninga
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 12, 2004
                  On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Chris Kelly wrote:

                  > The central part of Philmont is the Headquarters, which is
                  > WGS84 36 degrees, 27.19 minutes North, 104 degrees, 57.49 minutes West.
                  > APRS would be cool, but it would have to be extremely light weight
                  > to get used in the field.

                  I just zoomed in and see terrific APRS coverage in the area. SO anyone
                  with a D7 HT can send and receive APRSmessages and Email and be tracked.
                  Here is a link to the north east corner of New Mexico showing the area:

                  http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/dmap.cgi?zoom=1&offsetx=275&offsety=266
                  &map=usawest.mp&scale=0.6&last=24&width=640
                  &height=480&click.x=322&click.y=248

                  The link is too long for a single cut and paste but just paste all 3 lines
                  above into your browser and you can see the map. Ill work on getting a
                  better MAP background. The view above covers all the way down to Santa Fe

                  > It may be a really good idea for the rangers when they need to get to
                  > an emergency, to be able to send coordinates of the Actual site after
                  > they locate the lost crew, but I bet most crews would not be wild about
                  > carrying any extra gear (12 days, high altitude, heavy packs).
                  > Maybe the Kenwood handheld (D7??).

                  Yes, the D7 by itself does perfect. And a scout should be able to get his
                  LAT/LONG from the map, so nothing else at all is needed. (no reason to lug
                  along a GPS)...

                  Ill work on a much shorter link. We need to be able to zoom in to
                  Philmont for MOMs and Dads that want to watch what is going on there (on
                  APRS, that is)...

                  de WB4APR, Bob
                • Scott Sarah
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 12, 2004
                    The only drawback I see is the scout has to be a HAM by FCC law. But
                    getting the tech license isnt that tough if they study for a month or
                    2. unless Philmont gets the ok someway to use them w/o the scout being
                    licenced...... I would guess they would need to carry about 2-3 extra
                    battery packs too. I have been on a Trek once and been to the Rocky
                    Mountain Scout camp (summer camp for the scouts while their parents are
                    doing their stuff) 2 times.

                    Another problem I see are trees.....it takes longer for GPS's to lock on
                    through trees. and if they are down in one of the "valleys" getting out
                    with it might be tough.

                    Scott KA8S
                  • Bob Bruninga
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 12, 2004
                      On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Bob Bruninga wrote:

                      > I just zoomed in and see terrific APRS coverage (of Philmont). SO
                      > anyone with a D7 HT can send and receive APRSmessages and Email and be
                      > tracked. Here is a link to the north east corner of New Mexico showing
                      > the area: <snip>

                      Here is a better map:
                      http://www.jfindu.net/near.asp?Latitude=36.45&Longitude=-104.95&Metric=0

                      It looks plain, but it shows more detail as you right click. Also, I will
                      downgrade my use of the word "terrific" above, to "good" depending on
                      terrain of which I have no personal experience. But it looks like the
                      digi on topof WBALDY is the nearest.

                      This is a live map, so if there was someone there on APRS, you would see
                      him...

                      But even this map has no Scout detail on it.

                      I will volulnteer to digitize a custom map for Philmont if someone will
                      send me a paper map that has lat/long on it.

                      de WB4APR, Bob