Re: [Scoutradio] Re: scout 50 miler

  • Bill Stewart
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 31, 2003
      Actually it does. It says that High-Adventure activites are for youth 13 and over. I would classify this as a High-Adventure activity. There is a reason
      that Venturing is for those 14 and over. It primarily does High-Adventure, whether it's backcountry camping and hiking or assisting the Red Cross in shelter operations.
      Look  at the age guidelines in the GSS.

      Bill Stewart, W2BSA

      Steven C. Gallafent wrote:
      I have read all of this and no one has meantioned the BSA
      Guide-to-Safe-Scouting or the age appropriate activities list. Please
      folks, don't just guess these will give you the details.
      Absolutely, positively correct. Guide to Safe Scouting is the definitive
      I've read both of these and neither says "12-13 year old Boy Scouts should
      not go on 50-mile hikes in the Uintas." :)
      It's been a while since I've read the GSS cover-to-cover, but I don't
      remember anything in the book that directly answers the question.
      According to the age-appropriate guidelines list, multi-day hikes are
      appropriate for Boy Scouts. So is "backpacking -- overnight, backcountry,"
      which sounds like exactly what we're talking about.
      The Guide to Safe Scouting provides more detail, since it contains this:
      Anything can happen in the wild outdoors, and you should take measures
      designed to prevent accidents and injuries from occurring. Ask the question:
      "What would happen if ________ occurred?" Once you have identified possible
      problems, devise a plan to minimize the risks and to manage a crisis if one
      occurs. Involve the entire crew in this process so that everyone becomes
      aware of potential dangers and how to avoid them.
      And this:
      All backcountry treks must be supervised by a mature, conscientious adult at
      least 21 years of age who understands the potential risks associated with
      the trek. This person knowingly accepts responsibility for the well-being
      and safety of the youth in his or her care.
      And this:
      Obviously, the best way to stay safe in the wilderness is to not get into
      trouble in the first place. This requires planning, leadership, and good
      My interpretation of the discussion has been that we're discussing these
      very questions so that the original poster can make his own determination
      with the troop as to whether or not this activity is appropriate.
      Having been a unit commissioner for a while, I can say that, for the eight
      units I worked with, this trip would received mixed reviews. For a couple of
      units, I'd have said "have a good time." With those units, I would know that
      the adult leaders would have already had the discussion we're having here
      and would already have asked the "What would happen if ..." questions. They
      would also lead the boys through the process of preparing themselves for the
      trip, including conditioning hikes and everything else that has been
      With some of the other units, I would be concerned that the adults hadn't
      had this discussion and hadn't asked "what if." In those same cases, I would
      be concerned that the preparation wouldn't happen and the trip would be a
      bad experience.
      I guess my point is that I don't read anything in the GSS that answers the
      original question: Is this an appropriate trip? The troop in question is
      going to have to look at the proposed activity and the discussion we have
      had and determine, in their own good judgment, whether this is appropriate
      for their boys.
      Thanks.  I had the name of the mountain range mispelled. I personally can
      see how, in the last story, 4 boys started a trek with out adult
      It might be just me but, our troop would never let sonething like that
      I used to say that very thing.
      There were two separate incidents a few weeks apart in Salt Lake City a
      couple of years ago where scouts riding in the back of a pickup (gasp!) fell
      out and were killed. I mentioned to my wife that the leaders in our units
      wouldn't do that because we constantly harped on those safety rules.
      She took that opportunity to point out to me that, a few weeks earlier, she
      had been at an activity (boys and girls) with some of those leaders. They
      were doing a service project picking up trash along a one-mile stretch of
      dirt road. At the end of the trip, the boys climbed into the back of the
      leader's van and drove back down to the start of the road with the hatchback
      open and their legs hanging out.
      I'll bet you can't guess what I would say if he suggested this 50-miler.
      Steven C. Gallafent - The Computer Guy
      steve@... - http://www.compguy.com/
      "I used to be a Fox"
      Yahoo! Groups Links