Re: FRS Repeaters

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999
      On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Chris wrote:

      > Are repeaters on FRS even legal? I wouldn't think so!

      I wouldnt either, but it is a simplex parrot, and sold by Radio Shacek for
      just that purpose. If it is illegal, I guess we will know soon enough...

      Bob
    • Bob Bruninga
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999
        On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Chris Schwab wrote:

        > Dunno, I think it would depend on how you utilize it.. I guess the simplex
        > repeater would be legal, as long as you didn't connect an external antenna
        > to the radio... But where would you put the radio? I thought all FRS radios
        > were not able to be connected to an external antenna.

        Put the radio and gizmo in a plastic bottle and hang it in a tree. No
        external antenna. I agree, that would be illegal..
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999

          > > Are repeaters on FRS even legal? I wouldn't think so!
          >
          > I wouldnt either, but it is a simplex parrot, and sold by Radio Shacek for
          > just that purpose. If it is illegal, I guess we will know soon enough...
          >
          > Bob

          [Code of Federal Regulations]
          [Title 47, Volume 5, Parts 80 to end]
          [Revised as of October 1, 1998]
          From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
          [CITE: 47CFR95]

          [Page 541-542]

          Sec. 95.194 (FRS Rule 4) FRS units.
          (c) You may not attach any antenna, power amplifier, or other
          apparatus to an FRS unit that has not been FCC certified as part of that
          FRS unit. There are no exceptions to this rule and attaching any such
          apparatus to a FRS unit cancels the FCC certification and voids
          everyone's authority to operate the unit in the FRS.

          ----

          My question would be. Is that RS repeater certified for use as part
          of that FRS unit?

          +------------------------------------------>>>
          | Chris / W4YYZ
          |
          | W4YYZ/R 224.24 - Dunedin, FL
          |
          | W4YYZ@... / w4yyz@... / w4yyz@...
          | ICQ: 1106713
          |
          | Get paid to surf the net! really works and it's how I pay for internet!
          | http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=fmz098

          +------------------------------------------>>>
        • Ray Vaughan
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999
            At 09:02 AM 11/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
            >From: "Chris" <w4yyz@...>
            >

            >> > Are repeaters on FRS even legal? I wouldn't think so!
            >>
            >> I wouldnt either, but it is a simplex parrot, and sold by Radio Shacek for
            >> just that purpose. If it is illegal, I guess we will know soon enough...
            >>
            >> Bob
            >>
            >[Code of Federal Regulations]
            >[Title 47, Volume 5, Parts 80 to end]
            >[Revised as of October 1, 1998]
            >From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
            >[CITE: 47CFR95]
            >
            >[Page 541-542]
            >
            >Sec. 95.194 (FRS Rule 4) FRS units.
            > (c) You may not attach any antenna, power amplifier, or other
            >apparatus to an FRS unit that has not been FCC certified as part of that
            >FRS unit. There are no exceptions to this rule and attaching any such
            >apparatus to a FRS unit cancels the FCC certification and voids
            >everyone's authority to operate the unit in the FRS.

            So... no speaker mics, belt clips, chargers, batteries, you name it.
            'attach' means attach. Even physically.

            And where do you find the FCC certification on a speaker mic?

            Something tells me the lawyers wrote this one without asking an engineer
            for a bit of help on common sense.

            Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
            KD4BBM
            ray@...