RE: [Scoutradio] Radio Camp

  • Wootton William F III CNIN
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 17, 2003
      Folks,

      You might want to consider using Code Quick (series of CD ROMs). Cost is comparable to the ARRL and provides visual aids in associating the code.

      I have been using this to learn code and it seems to be helping more than the tapes/cd from ARRL.

      Bill KC9CL, Scoutmaster Troop 170, Advisor Crew 170

      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 18, 2003
        Hi Cullen and the rest of the group,

        On the WJO (World JOTA Organizer) page there is a small CW DOS program.

        We had this running at our station at XR3J and it attracted more
        scouts than I thought it would.

        You can find it here:
        http://home.zonnet.nl/worldscout/Jota/library.htm

        YIS,
        Sjaak KG4PVX / PA3GVR
      • k5hal
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004
          --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, k5hal@a... wrote:
          > How about a little guidance.
          > We are discussing having a one week Radio Camp at Chester County
          > Council Camp Ware next summer. The goal would be licensing up to
          20
          > scouts. Tech class, no code. But, with some exposure to the
          code.
          Ham Radio Camp progress report:
          We plan for each scout to build a Rock-Mite with special
          crystals for the tech band.
          I have our technical staff lined up. We see strong
          interest in the program. We will also offer Radio and Electronics
          merit badges.
          Is there any point in teaching much CW? We do plan to try to
          infect the scouts with the CW bug. We plan to spend a little time on
          the subject, we will not have the time to do it right. We
          will send them off with a CD with a freeware CW program or two. Part
          of the plan is to give them a list of local Elmers who have
          volunteered to help them. The goal is to leave them infected with the
          ham virus, a working radio, and the tools to keep them interested.
          We are still receptive to ideas and suggestions.
          Regards, cullen K5HAL
        • Robert Bruninga
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004
            Dont forget to tell them to bring their FRS
            walkie Talkie's to camp. Then use them
            for all coordination. Teach them proper
            Radio procedures. Plan games around
            them RADIO CLUE, DFing, etc... during
            their break periods. de WB4APR

            >>> k5hal@... 2/12/04 10:32:01 AM >>>
            --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, k5hal@a... wrote:
            > How about a little guidance.
            > We are discussing having a one week Radio Camp at Chester County
            > Council Camp Ware next summer. The goal would be licensing up to
            20
            > scouts. Tech class, no code. But, with some exposure to the
            code.
            Ham Radio Camp progress report:
            We plan for each scout to build a Rock-Mite with special
            crystals for the tech band.
            I have our technical staff lined up. We see strong
            interest in the program. We will also offer Radio and Electronics
            merit badges.
            Is there any point in teaching much CW? We do plan to try to
            infect the scouts with the CW bug. We plan to spend a little time on
            the subject, we will not have the time to do it right. We
            will send them off with a CD with a freeware CW program or two. Part
            of the plan is to give them a list of local Elmers who have
            volunteered to help them. The goal is to leave them infected with the
            ham virus, a working radio, and the tools to keep them interested.
            We are still receptive to ideas and suggestions.
            Regards, cullen K5HAL

            Now that you've got new licensees in your unit, why not have them
            subscibe to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ScoutRadioYouth

            Visit the "Adventure Radio Society"
            http://www.natworld.com/ars/

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • scouter@fmaynard.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004
              On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, k5hal wrote:

              > We plan for each scout to build a Rock-Mite with special
              > crystals for the tech band.

              What a great idea! At least when they get done they will have a working
              rig and a reason to learn the code.

              > Is there any point in teaching much CW?

              You're right, it would take longer than a week to do it right, but you
              might want to have them learn to send their first name (I know it's
              probably the wrong way to get started since there's a specific order in
              which the letters should be learned). You could also have some code
              playing in the background during some of the sessions, not really to teach
              them the code but to get them exposed to the sound and the rhythm.
              Eventually some of them will start picking out letters.

              Good luck and I look forward to future reports on the project! 73

              --
              YiS,
              Frank Maynard, NF8M
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004
                --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@u...>
                wrote:
                > Dont forget to tell them to bring their FRS
                > walkie Talkie's to camp. Then use them
                > for all coordination. Teach them proper
                > Radio procedures. Plan games around
                > them RADIO CLUE, DFing, etc... during
                > their break periods. de WB4APR

                Robert - I'd be interested in learning about the games you mention
                above. Is there a website that details them? Thanks,
                Joe
                Scoutmaster - Troop 109
                KC2MKS
              • barry griffin
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004
                  Hope everything works very well. I will also be
                  helping with a radio class at Summer Camp at clements
                  Scout Ranch (Cherokee in Athens Texas)with the
                  operators from the Athens Radio Club.We will be
                  demostrating PSK 31 and HF. there will be a 440
                  repeater setup up out there permitley.I believe the
                  call sign for the Athens Radio Club is K5EHP. 73's

                  Barry Griffin
                  KD5PXU
                  Boy Scout Troop 322
                  Greenville,Texas

                  --- k5hal <k5hal@...> wrote:
                  > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, k5hal@a... wrote:
                  > > How about a little guidance.
                  > > We are discussing having a one week Radio Camp at
                  > Chester County
                  > > Council Camp Ware next summer. The goal would be
                  > licensing up to
                  > 20
                  > > scouts. Tech class, no code. But, with some
                  > exposure to the
                  > code.
                  > Ham Radio Camp progress report:
                  > We plan for each scout to build a Rock-Mite
                  > with special
                  > crystals for the tech band.
                  > I have our technical staff lined up. We see
                  > strong
                  > interest in the program. We will also offer Radio
                  > and Electronics
                  > merit badges.
                  > Is there any point in teaching much CW? We do
                  > plan to try to
                  > infect the scouts with the CW bug. We plan to spend
                  > a little time on
                  > the subject, we will not have the time to do it
                  > right. We
                  > will send them off with a CD with a freeware CW
                  > program or two. Part
                  > of the plan is to give them a list of local Elmers
                  > who have
                  > volunteered to help them. The goal is to leave them
                  > infected with the
                  > ham virus, a working radio, and the tools to keep
                  > them interested.
                  > We are still receptive to ideas and
                  > suggestions.
                  > Regards, cullen K5HAL

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                • barry griffin
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 12, 2004

                    --- k5hal <k5hal@...> wrote:
                    > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, k5hal@a... wrote:
                    > > How about a little guidance.
                    > > We are discussing having a one week Radio Camp at
                    > Chester County
                    > > Council Camp Ware next summer. The goal would be
                    > licensing up to
                    > 20
                    > > scouts. Tech class, no code. But, with some
                    > exposure to the
                    > code.
                    > Ham Radio Camp progress report:
                    > We plan for each scout to build a Rock-Mite
                    > with special
                    > crystals for the tech band.
                    > I have our technical staff lined up. We see
                    > strong
                    > interest in the program. We will also offer Radio
                    > and Electronics
                    > merit badges.
                    > Is there any point in teaching much CW? We do
                    > plan to try to
                    > infect the scouts with the CW bug. We plan to spend
                    > a little time on
                    > the subject, we will not have the time to do it
                    > right. We
                    > will send them off with a CD with a freeware CW
                    > program or two. Part
                    > of the plan is to give them a list of local Elmers
                    > who have
                    > volunteered to help them. The goal is to leave them
                    > infected with the
                    > ham virus, a working radio, and the tools to keep
                    > them interested.
                    > We are still receptive to ideas and
                    > suggestions.
                    > Regards, cullen K5HAL

                    http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                  • KB3CVS (Tom)
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
                      Greetings!

                      I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get more
                      scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew in the
                      Baltimore, MD area? We seem to be having a hard time locating scouts
                      who want to learn more about radio and computers, which the Venture Crew
                      specializes in.

                      We've tried to invite the local scouts to Field Day in the past, and
                      this year we're doing so once again - offering up being able to work on
                      the Radio Merit badge as something they can do while visiting, and
                      perhaps camping overnight with us for Field Day.

                      As far as Field Day goes, we've been invited the last several years to
                      join the ARINC Amateur Radio club in an absolutely beautiful park
                      (Thomas Point Park, in Annapolis, MD) which is a beautiful penninsula
                      right across from the Thomas Point Lighthouse in the Chesapeake Bay.
                      Unfortunately, we've only had a few folks join us in years past. (Last
                      year's Press Release from ARINC:
                      http://www.arinc.com/news/2003/06-25-03.html )

                      I was really hoping someone here might have some ideas how to
                      "advertise" or draw attention to it, to increase our audience. We're
                      trying getting our local district and council to put something in the
                      newsletters and web pages. Any other ideas? I'm concentrating on a
                      Field Day experience (we've been to district campouts, and the like
                      before) hoping the equipment and activity will be of interest.

                      Thanks for your time!

                      -Tom-
                      Tom Hendricks
                    • Bill Stewart
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
                        Tom, getting more youth involved in a strictly Amateur Radio Venturing
                        Crew is a difficult proposition. It is difficult in that we are a
                        specific interest group as opposed
                        to a general interest or high adventure crew.
                        We in Venturing Crew 80 have combined Amateur Radio with first aid and
                        until recently we provided first aid support to our district camporees.
                        Our youth nixed providing that support after they provided support to
                        the Red Cross, City of Alexandria, VA and Fairfax County, VA during
                        Hurricane Isabel
                        and felt that they had "out grown" the Boy Scouts.
                        We still do support our district and council, but, in ways that allows
                        the youth to interact more with their peers.
                        We also support such events as the Marine Corps Marathon here in DC and
                        the Make-A-Wish Foundation Triathlon in Bethany Beach, DE. We have been
                        fortunate to have the resources available to us to secure tours of the
                        US. Coast Guard Communications Area Master Station Atlantic (CAMSLANT)
                        in Chesapeke, VA and US Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, NC. This
                        trip included a familiarity flight aboard a US Coast Guard HC-130J
                        Search and Rescue Aircraft. CAMSLANT is the Coast Guard radio station
                        which sent the last morse code transmission on the old 500khz distress
                        frequency.
                        The combination of the two shows the youth the public service uses of
                        Amateur Radio and radio in general. Our primary method of recruiting is
                        through the running
                        of Technician Class license courses. We do it over three weekends using
                        the ARRL material and lecture.

                        Any questions please email me directly at w2bsa@...

                        73,

                        Bill Stewart, W2BSA, Venturing Crew 80, National Capital Area Council,
                        Colonial District

                        KB3CVS (Tom) wrote:

                        >Greetings!
                        >
                        >I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get more
                        >scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew in the
                        >Baltimore, MD area? We seem to be having a hard time locating scouts
                        >who want to learn more about radio and computers, which the Venture Crew
                        >specializes in.
                        >
                        >We've tried to invite the local scouts to Field Day in the past, and
                        >this year we're doing so once again - offering up being able to work on
                        >the Radio Merit badge as something they can do while visiting, and
                        >perhaps camping overnight with us for Field Day.
                        >
                        >As far as Field Day goes, we've been invited the last several years to
                        >join the ARINC Amateur Radio club in an absolutely beautiful park
                        >(Thomas Point Park, in Annapolis, MD) which is a beautiful penninsula
                        >right across from the Thomas Point Lighthouse in the Chesapeake Bay.
                        >Unfortunately, we've only had a few folks join us in years past. (Last
                        >year's Press Release from ARINC:
                        >http://www.arinc.com/news/2003/06-25-03.html )
                        >
                        >I was really hoping someone here might have some ideas how to
                        >"advertise" or draw attention to it, to increase our audience. We're
                        >trying getting our local district and council to put something in the
                        >newsletters and web pages. Any other ideas? I'm concentrating on a
                        >Field Day experience (we've been to district campouts, and the like
                        >before) hoping the equipment and activity will be of interest.
                        >
                        >Thanks for your time!
                        >
                        >-Tom-
                        >Tom Hendricks

                        >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
                        >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

                        >Visit the "Adventure Radio Society" http://www.natworld.com/ars/
                        >
                        >ScoutRadio start page:
                        >
                        >Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Tom Sharp
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
                          Hello from Arizona,

                          Explorer Post 599 has tried different things for Field Day.  We've gone to local clubs FD sites, but found that the youth didn't fit well into the club's intensive FD efforts.  The last few years, we've set up our own FD on the back-porch of a member's cabin in the mountains, and just let the guys have fun.  If they wanted to work hard and go for big scores, great, but if they wanted to sit around and have fun, great.  No pressure.  We had invited others in the past, but now just keep it as a fun weekend for the Post.

                          We get the word out about us in many other ways.  We have an info booth at every hamfest.  We're at the Scout-O-Rama.  We try to get to several camporees in the fall.  It's surprising how many camporees are held on JOTA weekend.  We have flyers at our local Ham Radio Outlet and at the Science Center.  And we try to capture any new youth we find on the air.

                          The one thing that turned the Post around from "iffy...will it make it" to "active..can't wait to go" has been weekly meetings.  Every Tuesday we have a workshop-type meeting, doing projects, taking stuff apart, getting on the air, etc.  Every fourth Tuesday of the month is our business meeting, where we take care of planning coming events, elections, etc.  In addition to the business portion of the meeting, we have a presentation of some sort.  Last month, US Forest Service came in with their fire and radio gear.  This month we will be planning for our comm role at a weekend long bike rally in March.

                          We are currently building a couple of repeaters, making collinear antennas (in Dec we made portable J-poles).  Plus we are helping about five guys get their tech licenses.

                          Also, we have a repeater where the youth hang out and can behave as youth.  And an email reflector where we pass info and have fun.  We're helping those that want to build web-pages off our club page (www.post599.org).

                          Don't worry about numbers.  We've had as few as five youth and are now about 20 strong.  Just be there and have fun and have things for them to do.

                          73

                          ---Tom Sharp  WA9OXY
                          Explorer Post 599    W7BSA
                          Phoenix, AZ

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
                            Tom,
                            Have you considered finding an agency that needs good volunteer help &
                            training to their standards? For example, the USCG Auxiliary has an
                            excellent watch stander program to assist the USCG with comms
                            issues. Steep learning curve involved. Or perhaps FEMA. Again, steep
                            learning curve, but worthwhile. All things that can attract youth in your
                            "market"

                            Another option for field day or JOTA would be to find the local Sea Scout
                            Ship & work maritime mobile, either from their boat, or perhaps a historic
                            vessel docked in the area. If you wanted to persue this, www.seascout.org
                            has a look up function for the nearest Sea Scout Ship.

                            My Sea Scout has a bunch of radio gear aboard or training vessel. We have
                            HF, various data modes, multiple GPS receivers, VHF public safety & UHF
                            public safety radios (with appropriate paperwork), and on board computers
                            (Linux & NT). Even with all of the above toys, we have a hard time
                            finding other Scout units who want to do JOTA, or field day.

                            Martin

                            Martin A. Flynn
                            Sea Scout Ship 243, BSA
                            M/V Seahorse
                            http://ship243.org

                            ==> The preceding message does not necessarily represent the <==
                            ==> position of the Boy Scouts of America. <==

                            At 11:43 AM 2/13/04, KB3CVS (Tom) wrote:
                            >Greetings!
                            >
                            >I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get more
                            >scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew in the
                            >Baltimore, MD area? We seem to be having a hard time locating scouts
                            >who want to learn more about radio and computers, which the Venture Crew
                            >specializes in.
                          • kd5fdw
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 13, 2004
                              I went to the USS Massachusetts with my Tiger cub a few years ago.
                              They had a radio block where they did some Morse code. In less than
                              30 minutes all the scouts were able to send messages with the letters
                              E, I, S, H, T, M & O. It was amazing that almost everyone could send
                              a few words or a sentence and receive with just those letters.

                              I am sure there are better orders to learn the letters..such as the
                              Koch method, but this is a way to get 5 wpm Morse code exposure and
                              success very quickly.

                              David
                              nd4su

                              [snip]
                            • ray@sirois.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 15, 2004
                                > I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get > more scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew
                                > in the Baltimore, MD area?
                                > We seem to be having a hard time locating... ... ...

                                My fundamental approach:

                                1. I don't primarily hold events where I am
                                trying to attract scouts/units/patrols to come to me.
                                Rather, I make it a point to have a station or two set up
                                at every significant scouting event where scouts
                                are already located.

                                eg: Last week, there was a big "Scout Show",
                                1000 scouts + leaders at a big civic center event.
                                We had an HF station, 2m Station, APRS running.
                                It attracted a lot of attention among parents and boys.

                                eg: Fall Camporee... sometimes the fall camporee
                                falls on JOTA weekend, sometimes it does not.
                                Either way, have a station set up. If you can't
                                get into the rotation of the program. Ask to set
                                one up anyway.

                                eg: Summer Camps... have a ham radio night
                                each week... After doing this for 6 years, we
                                finally got a staff member licensed, so now
                                they teach Radio MB during the day... We
                                still show up once a week for HF night.

                                eg: THere is a week of "Winter Camp" this
                                week at Camp Hinds. I'm teaching Radio MB
                                each night there on my way home from work.
                                We get 8-10 Radio MB's this way each year,
                                and it plants the seed.

                                I read of many other Go-To-Scouts examples
                                here on this reflector all the time.

                                2. At each of these scouting events
                                publicize the courses you might teach for
                                actually getting licensed. AND
                                If you hold a Radio MB course,
                                conduct it for Scouts, Parents, and advertise
                                it in papers for the general public as well.
                                Get it co-sponsored by the Red Cross or
                                something so you draw from several
                                community groups. Not just scouts.

                                I have no problem getting 12-20 registrants
                                aged 10-70 years of age coming together
                                to get their license. I hold two classes a
                                year... and perhaps in different towns each
                                time. My fall course usually involves a
                                "Hands-On Saturday" which, by the way,
                                happens on JOTA weekend. <wink>

                                3. Be a familiar face at Roundtables, and perhaps
                                on the District Camping Committees. This
                                way you can influence the inclusion of
                                Ham Radio at events, and with a little luck,
                                you might be able to influence the DATE of
                                Fall Camporees to fall on that infamous
                                3rd full weekend in October.

                                Have a dream. eg If several
                                districts all have their fall camporee on
                                JOTA weekend, you can score a major
                                victory by getting the stations at each
                                camporee to work each other!
                                (In my experience, this is harder to align
                                than the 9 planets of our solar system...
                                but dream about the possibilities, and chip
                                away at making it happen.)

                                4. Sooner or later the community of
                                interested or licensed Scouts, Parents, and
                                Leaders you grow will be organizing their
                                own JOTA events and asking for your help.

                                5. There are tons of Den Leaders, Unit Leaders
                                who are looking for ideas for their meetings. Let
                                them know you can fill one of their vacant spots
                                on their schedule with a Ham Radio Demonstration.
                                How? Roundtables or Council newsletters.

                                In a nutshell: don't ask people to come to us.
                                We need to meet them where ever they are
                                already at.

                                Ray N1RY
                                WJ0TA Maine
                              • KB3CVS (Tom)
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 15, 2004
                                  Thank you everyone for the ideas.

                                  Unfortunately, we've tried most of them, with very little success.

                                  We'll keep plugging away, but thanks again for the ideas.

                                  The radio license classes are just about the only thing we haven't
                                  tried, and there are many radio clubs here in the area, which seem to be
                                  having a hard time filling their classes as well.

                                  So far, the Radio Merit Badge has been the most productive for us, and I
                                  suppose we'll keep working on that as well.

                                  Thanks again!

                                  -Tom-

                                • Robert Bruninga
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 19, 2004
                                    >>> zano_52@... 2/12/04 1:39:00 PM >>>

                                    > Dont forget to tell them to bring their FRS
                                    > walkie Talkie's to camp. Then use them
                                    > for all coordination. Teach them proper
                                    > Radio procedures. Plan games around
                                    > them RADIO CLUE, DFing, etc... during
                                    > their break periods. de WB4APR

                                    Robert - I'd be interested in learning about the games you mention
                                    above. Is there a website that details them? Thanks,
                                    KC2MKS

                                    REPLY: Sure, http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/sitemap.html
                                    slide down till you find KIDS and SCOUTS...

                                    de WB4APR, Bob