FRS Repeaters

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 1999
      Scouts,

      By the way, I bought one of those $99 Radio Shack simplex repeaters and it
      works beautifully. SO if you are into FRS radios for scouting and want
      to cover *large* areas, then it will be worth it. Both it and the FRS
      radio run on a couple of AA,s and provide a great range-extender.

      Of course, this should ONLY be used on a radio with PL, because it will
      "consume" a radio channel... It is a PARROT and so it will totally
      interfere with normal communications not intended for it, unless it
      is only activated by one PL tone.

      ALSO, if your mission is to convince scouts to upgrade to AMATEUR RADIO to
      get greater range, then this simplex repeater for FRS is subversive to
      that objective :-(

      ALso, although it has very good audio, it is VOX driven. THis means you
      must turn up the driving volume to mild distortion so that the VOX remains
      keyed on "background" noise. THis is so that it remains in "record" mode
      between the transmitting staton's sylables and sentences... This then
      causes the PARROTED back signal to sound slightly distored too. It would
      be ideal if it could be driven by an external COR, but that takes some
      surgery and I wont get around to that for the forseeable future...

      Anyway, just slide the VOX/RPTR and one of the FRS radios into a 1 foot
      piece of PVC and hang it in a tree on a hill, and enjoy...

      de WB4APR, Bob
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 1999

        > Scouts,
        >
        > By the way, I bought one of those $99 Radio Shack simplex repeaters and it
        > works beautifully. SO if you are into FRS radios for scouting and want
        > to cover *large* areas, then it will be worth it. Both it and the FRS
        > radio run on a couple of AA,s and provide a great range-extender.

        Are repeaters on FRS even legal? I wouldn't think so!

        -Chris

        +------------------------------------------>>>
        | Chris / W4YYZ
        |
        | W4YYZ/R 224.24 - Dunedin, FL
        |
        | W4YYZ@... / w4yyz@... / w4yyz@...
        | ICQ: 1106713
        |
        | Get paid to surf the net! really works and it's how I pay for internet!
        | http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=fmz098

        +------------------------------------------>>>
      • Chris Schwab
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 1999
          Hmm..

          Dunno, I think it would depend on how you utilize it.. I guess the simplex
          repeater would be legal, as long as you didn't connect an external antenna
          to the radio... But where would you put the radio? I thought all FRS radios
          were not able to be connected to an external antenna.

          By the way.. I bought a pair of Motorola FR50s yesterday.. No PL, but seems
          to be a very sturdy radio. $49 at Walmart. I'm going to try to stock up on
          FRS radios to try to use with the scout Troop. I may not be able to get them
          all on Amateur Radio, but I am sure going to try to have each Scout (or at
          least buddy pair) have a FRS radio with them..C

          Chris N4BSA
          Scoutmaster, Troop 488 Largo FL

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999
            On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Chris wrote:

            > Are repeaters on FRS even legal? I wouldn't think so!

            I wouldnt either, but it is a simplex parrot, and sold by Radio Shacek for
            just that purpose. If it is illegal, I guess we will know soon enough...

            Bob
          • Bob Bruninga
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999
              On Sun, 31 Oct 1999, Chris Schwab wrote:

              > Dunno, I think it would depend on how you utilize it.. I guess the simplex
              > repeater would be legal, as long as you didn't connect an external antenna
              > to the radio... But where would you put the radio? I thought all FRS radios
              > were not able to be connected to an external antenna.

              Put the radio and gizmo in a plastic bottle and hang it in a tree. No
              external antenna. I agree, that would be illegal..
            • Chris
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999

                > > Are repeaters on FRS even legal? I wouldn't think so!
                >
                > I wouldnt either, but it is a simplex parrot, and sold by Radio Shacek for
                > just that purpose. If it is illegal, I guess we will know soon enough...
                >
                > Bob

                [Code of Federal Regulations]
                [Title 47, Volume 5, Parts 80 to end]
                [Revised as of October 1, 1998]
                From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
                [CITE: 47CFR95]

                [Page 541-542]

                Sec. 95.194 (FRS Rule 4) FRS units.
                (c) You may not attach any antenna, power amplifier, or other
                apparatus to an FRS unit that has not been FCC certified as part of that
                FRS unit. There are no exceptions to this rule and attaching any such
                apparatus to a FRS unit cancels the FCC certification and voids
                everyone's authority to operate the unit in the FRS.

                ----

                My question would be. Is that RS repeater certified for use as part
                of that FRS unit?

                +------------------------------------------>>>
                | Chris / W4YYZ
                |
                | W4YYZ/R 224.24 - Dunedin, FL
                |
                | W4YYZ@... / w4yyz@... / w4yyz@...
                | ICQ: 1106713
                |
                | Get paid to surf the net! really works and it's how I pay for internet!
                | http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=fmz098

                +------------------------------------------>>>
              • Ray Vaughan
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 1999
                  At 09:02 AM 11/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
                  >From: "Chris" <w4yyz@...>
                  >

                  >> > Are repeaters on FRS even legal? I wouldn't think so!
                  >>
                  >> I wouldnt either, but it is a simplex parrot, and sold by Radio Shacek for
                  >> just that purpose. If it is illegal, I guess we will know soon enough...
                  >>
                  >> Bob
                  >>
                  >[Code of Federal Regulations]
                  >[Title 47, Volume 5, Parts 80 to end]
                  >[Revised as of October 1, 1998]
                  >From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
                  >[CITE: 47CFR95]
                  >
                  >[Page 541-542]
                  >
                  >Sec. 95.194 (FRS Rule 4) FRS units.
                  > (c) You may not attach any antenna, power amplifier, or other
                  >apparatus to an FRS unit that has not been FCC certified as part of that
                  >FRS unit. There are no exceptions to this rule and attaching any such
                  >apparatus to a FRS unit cancels the FCC certification and voids
                  >everyone's authority to operate the unit in the FRS.

                  So... no speaker mics, belt clips, chargers, batteries, you name it.
                  'attach' means attach. Even physically.

                  And where do you find the FCC certification on a speaker mic?

                  Something tells me the lawyers wrote this one without asking an engineer
                  for a bit of help on common sense.

                  Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
                  KD4BBM
                  ray@...