Re: [Scoutradio] Re: New poll for scoutradio

  • Rick Hampton
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 9, 2003
      I second Dan's comments since it also reflects my 30+ years experience.  I've never had a problem sharing the frequency with the extremely few people I've found there.  After all, I didn't get an amateur license to listen to static or quite FM rigs.  (And it's not like I've lived in the sticks.  Nashville, Charlotte, Boston...)

      I like the idea of having one frequency for people to meet and share, and some other frequencies to use if things get too busy.  I think we could probably teach a bunch of scouts the concept of sharing.  (If we can't we'd better stop now while we are ahead.)  With a lot of scouting activities outdoors, I like the idea of having a lot of people listening to one frequency, not a half dozen.  That way, if I'm in trouble, there's a better chance someone will hear my distress call.

      Rick, WD8KEL

      Dan Fisher wrote:

      Dennis,

      I guess I'm one of those FOOLS. In the Palm Bay/Melbourne FL area we believe that a calling frequency is of no use if no one's there to listen. We leave time between transmissions for someone to break in if they need to, and either invite them into the QSO or wait patiently 'til they finish their business. Of all the folks traveling through, I've never heard anyone complain that we were on the frequency. Usually they are grateful that someone finally answered them on the "calling frequency." On a recent trip from Florida to Virginia and back, I called many times on the national "calling frequency," only to find that no one was there listening.

      73,
      Dan Fisher KG4SDJ

      Dennis Zabawa wrote:

      DEFINITELY NOT 146.520.  We have enoungh FOOLS who haven't gotten the
      concept of a "Calling Frequency".  They think it is a Ragchew
      frequency for their own exclusive use.  This would be a great
      negative exposure to courtesy in Amateur Radio operation for Scouts
      who are or are becoming Hams.

      Dennis - KG4RUL

    • scouter@fmaynard.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2003
        I agree with WD8KEL and KG4SDJ. 146.52 is very lightly used in most areas.
        Sure, there are users around here (Metro Detroit), and I often leave one
        of my old base rigs tuned to .52, but when you're at camp you're probably
        at a semi-remote location and won't QRM anyone within earshot. If there is
        traffic, it's easy to QSY, and for a large event like a Camporee, an
        alternate frequency can be established. As hams, we are good at
        communicating these things.

        --
        Frank Maynard
        CM, Pack 54 and MC, Troop 407
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2003
          I updated my radio page to reflect some of the comments seen here. I have 146.52 and 446.000 listed as primary scouting freqs, and 145.550 and 445.550 listed as secondaries.

          http://bsa175.dns2go.com/radio.htm

          Danny

          Sunday, November 9, 2003, 1:58:47 PM, you wrote:

          sfc> I agree with WD8KEL and KG4SDJ. 146.52 is very lightly used in most areas.
          sfc> Sure, there are users around here (Metro Detroit), and I often leave one
          sfc> of my old base rigs tuned to .52, but when you're at camp you're probably
          sfc> at a semi-remote location and won't QRM anyone within earshot. If there is
          sfc> traffic, it's easy to QSY, and for a large event like a Camporee, an
          sfc> alternate frequency can be established. As hams, we are good at
          sfc> communicating these things.

          --

          Best regards,

          Danny Messano