RE: [Scoutradio] Digest Number 436

  • Wilson, Gary [OMP]
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2003
      RE: [Scoutradio] Digest Number 436

      Our biggest problem is the fact that Central Florida Council has a
      humongous training day, University of Scouting, on the third Saturday of
      October. I have tried to get them to change that date, since the entire
      Council is focused on U. of S. and consequently, little attention gets
      paid to JOTA. I suspect that there is something other than "our calendar
      is full, this is the only day we can do U. of S., and  U. of S. is
      scheduled for this weekend forever."

      Tell them that they're conflicting with both an International and BSA National Council scheduled event.  It's been scheduled for that weekend since 1957 and they as a council should try to find some other weekend.  As a practical matter, JOTA is the only nationally scheduled BSA event in most years (except for Jamboree years) so finding one of the other 51 weekends shouldn't be that difficult.

      Also, I suspect the "University of Scouting" is mainly an adult activity, so it seems to be running against everything I've been taught and have taught in Scouting; namely that it's an organization for the boys.  To have the boys miss out on a big event because some adults can't change their training schedule is ridiculous.  Conversely, a unit that can't have it's boys attend one event while some of it's leaders are getting trained obviously also needs a lot of work!

      I don't regard having a camporee that weekend as a conflict because JOTA can easily be combined with it, but an adult training weekend is something else entirely.

      Good luck getting your beads.

      YIS and 73

      Gary Wilson, K2GW
      Troop 63 Committee member
      (and Wood Badge Staffer)

    • Fisher
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2003
        Gary,

        You obviously know you're preaching to the choir.  :-\       I have been working on this and will continue to do so. I'm not sure that the situation is not that a unit, some of whose leaders are getting trained can't attend an event; it's that U. of S. is hyped so much by Council and JOTA is so ignored by Council. I feel like a lone voice in the wilderness. Plus, having U. of S. on that weekend precludes me from attending, since I am working on JOTA. Council's answer that I can do JOTA at U. of S. doesn't really wash because: 1) I still can't participate in U. of S. as a student, and 2) since U. of S. is 75 miles away, I can't provide JOTA in my District.

        But, Keith kc0div and I continue to work on JOTA.

        73,
        Dan KG4SDJ
        Ass't Scoutmaster, Troop 724
        Unit Commissioner, Manatee District