Re: [Scoutradio] 2m Scout Frequency

  • Ray Brown
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 6, 2003
      From: "Jeff Burns" <jhburns@...>

      > I suggest that scouts listen to 146.52 MHz when in the field.

      I second this for a silghtly different, but related, reason... y'all need to study
      up on your Wilderness Protocol. The ARRL recommends that licensed hams
      listen on 146.52 for any emergency calls when in big parks.

      _Ray_ KBØSTN
      CC, Pack 77, Joplin, MO
    • Dave Colter
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2003
        Hi all,
        In Europe, they have "standard" 2m and 440 Scout frequencies. I couldn't
        find my old notes on the subject, but I see that the UK Scout radio group
        lists 145.325 and 434.325. I think the Continental 2m frequency may be
        145.425 - at least in the Nordic countries.
        73,
        Dave WA1ZCN

        Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 21:50:56 -0500
        From: "Jeff Burns" <jhburns@...>
        Subject: 2m Scout Frequency

        I suggest that scouts listen to 146.52 MHz when in the field. In all but
        the most populated areas there is unlikely to be any traffic on the channel.
        If there is traffic on the channel you will have a chance for a QSO. This
        will also increase your chanse of hearing any distress messages.

        When my wife and I are on vacation we use 2m HT's to keep in touch with each
        other. If we are in a metropolitan area that is rf noisy we use an obscure
        simplex channel and digital coded squelch. Everywhere else we use 146.52
        and no tones. We very rarely hear anyone else on frequency, but every once
        and awhile we have an interesting QSO.

        Jeff Burns
        AD9T
      • Frank Krizan
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2003
          Howdy,

          I personally like the idea of using US standardized "calling" frequencies and then move off frequency for chatting.  With all the power in most HTs nowadays, it wouldn't be difficult to allow an HT to scan various frequencies, but, set the "Primary" to the standardized calling frequencies for the US.  I'm sorry, but, I think we're going too far overboard to accommodate the relatively few non-US visiting scouts/scouters and not focusing on the 99.9% of US Hams who camp with scout groups in the US.  By knowing the frequencies used by other countries (or International), each of us could optionally program other frequencies into our HTs.  Perhaps a chart of frequencies could be maintained on scoutradio@ya...

          I prefer 146.52 as the 2m calling frequency and 446.00 as the 70cm calling frequency.  At K2BSA located at Camp Wisdom, we use 147.54 as our on site intercom frequency.  This frequency is announced in our local bulletins and posted at the Headquarters building for visiting scout Hams.

          146.52 is also the frequency recommended for the Wilderness Protocal.

          The WOSM frequencies chart shows the HF frequencies for calling frequencies, but, unless I don't see where there's a VHF/UHF chart, there's no mention of 2m and 70cm.  Also, the 20m CW frequency is right on top of the well-recognized PSK-31 20 meter center frequency.  The WOSM is ignoring this.  Fortunately, the ARRL has included a flag on that frequency asking that US Hams avoid 14.070 for CW.  We've had to do that for several years on 40m because the WOSM freq is 7.290, right on top of some major US Nets.

          What I find interesting is that when I work overseas scouting Hams, especially during JOTA, they're calling CQ no where near the calling frequencies, frequently in the less crowded and quieter US Extra Class portion of the band.  Either the calling frequencies are so congested OR they just do their own thing ignoring standardization.

          73, Frank KR1ZAN
          Garland, TX