Re: [Scoutradio] Digest Number 434

  • Fisher
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 6, 2003
      I've been following this thread and I'm getting some good ideas for Manatee District, Central Florida Council. Keith Schreiber, kc0div and I have been doing JOTA here for a couple years. We've tried it at a campout last year, which was fun, and this year we did it at the Platinum Coast ARS club station which was much easier.  :-)       This year we also did a Radio merit badge class and got 5 boys through.

      Our biggest problem is the fact that Central Florida Council has a humongous training day, University of Scouting, on the third Saturday of October. I have tried to get them to change that date, since the entire Council is focused on U. of S. and consequently, little attention gets paid to JOTA. I suspect that there is something other than "our calendar is full, this is the only day we can do U. of S., and  U. of S. is scheduled for this weekend forever." (I plan to take Wood Badge in the Spring, and I'm going to be doing Amateur Radio related "tickets." One of the "tickets" might have to be to get U. of S. changed to a different weekend.)

      Anyway, what I am wondering is if there is a Scout Leaders Net, either on HF or on IRLP. If not, why don't we do something like that?

      73,
      de KG4SDJ Dan Fisher

      Danny Messano wrote:
      WOW, good one Dann-o!

      http://bsa175.dns2go.com

      DNS2GO, not DSN2GO

      My fiance' tells me I can't type.  That's the one thing we agree on..

      Danny Messano

      --

      Best regards,

      Danny Messano

    • Danny Messano
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 6, 2003
        What about an IRC chat? I am an IRC fanatic.. I could whip up a room, and a java chat or a bundled mIRC in no time.

        I like the IRLP idea too. I am not on HF, so no go there for me.

        Danny Messano

        --

        Best regards,

        Danny Messano
      • Fisher
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 6, 2003
          Danny,

          IRC or ICQ are fine. I'll have to dig up an IRC client for Linux and
          figure out how to install it. (I have Windoze on my desktop at home and
          I put Linux on my personal laptop.) Since we're radio folks, it seems
          appropriate to do something on the radio. :-)

          Dan

          Danny Messano wrote:

          >What about an IRC chat? I am an IRC fanatic.. I could whip up a room, and a java chat or a bundled mIRC in no time.
          >
          >I like the IRLP idea too. I am not on HF, so no go there for me.
          >
          >Danny Messano

        • Frank Krizan
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 6, 2003
            All of these are excellent ideas. For years, an HF Net has been advertised
            for U.S. Scout leaders/members for Sunday afternoons, 2030Z on 14.290 MHz.
            I've listened and called on several occasions and never heard anyone. See
            list at http://www.home.zonnet.nl/worldscout/Special/nets.htm This is a
            difficult day and time for me.

            The "one hour" per week that we were asked to contribute to scouting is
            getting bigger, so I prefer the scoutradio@yahoogroups.com discussion group.
            I can read it when I get a chance and respond if I want to. I spend the
            amount of time "I" want to. I would prefer everyone "snip" out unnecessary
            parts of attached messages to reduce the clutter on the Reply's. Such
            attachments are helpful to see the referenced parts of another's email, but,
            sometimes there's 50K of old messages and 50 bytes of a new comment -- even
            worse, imbedded halfway through the old messages.

            Back to the Scout Net idea: Initially, the Scout Net might get popular,
            but, like so many "meetings" die off when the prime movers lose interest,
            move onto something else or worse.

            The ARRL has a wonderful way to "advertise" your unit's interest, but, it
            too needs some improvement. It's called the YouthSked Database, see
            http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/youthskeds/ This DB needs some enhancements
            IMHO: 1) space to show associated URL if the unit or individual has one; 2)
            a few lines for general comment (i.e., days, times, frequencies of special
            operation, etc); 3) automatic reminder message to person who posted the
            announcement that the posting is about to expire; and, 4) free-form search
            capability (for instance, several Venturing and Exploring units are coded as
            "Other Youth Group" not "Boy Scouts").

            It might be fun to organize annual events for Scouts nationwide which test
            the capability of IRLP, EchoLink, HF, APRS, PSK-31, satellites, HF, CW
            (well, someone had to mention Morse), RTTY, SSTV, etc. This requires some
            discussion so we don't create a "monster" which consumes our energies and
            doesn't contribute to RadioScouting.

            Units who go camping should post their anticipated schedules on this
            discussion group and request skeds. Hopefully some of us will take the
            initiative to make a sked, look around for such groups on the air, etc.
            Maybe a standard format for DX Packet Clusters (including the world-wide
            Internet DX spotting sites) would be a good idea. If I work a Scout group,
            I post to DXSummit (or my local cluster if it forwards to DXSummit) and then
            Radio-Scouters worldwide would have access to such spots. Some suggestions
            about what sort of abbreviation in the comments section or as a preface to a
            callsign would be welcomed.

            I don't see why this couldn't be used for IRLP and EchoLink. We just need
            some thought given to it.

            It's great to see this discussion on this group.

            73, Frank KR1ZAN
            Garland, TX
            Advisor, Venturing Crew 73 - K5BSA - Richardson, TX

            > IRC or ICQ are fine. I'll have to dig up an IRC client for Linux and
            > figure out how to install it. (I have Windoze on my desktop at home and
            > I put Linux on my personal laptop.) Since we're radio folks, it seems
            > appropriate to do something on the radio. :-)
            >
            > Dan
            >
            > Danny Messano wrote:
            >
            > >What about an IRC chat? I am an IRC fanatic.. I could whip up a room,
            and a java chat or a bundled mIRC in no time.

            > >I like the IRLP idea too. I am not on HF, so no go there for me.
            > >
            > >Danny Messano

            Rest of message snipped out
          • Fisher
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 6, 2003
              Frank,

              Yup, you're right. I usually strip extraneous stuff out of my replies, but I had a brain hiccup and didn't for the 1st couple. (You will notice that I did, on the most recent post.)

              I've come to the conclusion that the "one hour" really is the time we have to ouselves after scouting!  :-)        And I fully understand the problem with having a regularly-scheduled meeting. I've been to YouthSked and posted there, and you're right, they need to iron that out just a bit. Perhaps a calendar in Yahoogroups.

              A neat thing would be to set up an IRLP "scouting" reflector. That would be the ideal thing. There's a guy here in Palm Bay FL who has an IRLP node and he might be moving out of town, so if he doesn't take his node with him I might be able to do something there. We'll have to see.

              73,
              Dan Fisher, KG4SDJ
              Ass't Scoutmaster, Troop 734
              Palm Bay FL

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 6, 2003
                Dan,

                That would be great.  An "always on" IRLP reflector would open up lots of possibilities for setting up skeds: either on IRLP, EchoLink, HF, etc.   Keep us informed.  I could see calling on the Reflector, finding a contact and agreeing on who will call on what Node.  Don't use the Reflector for casual QSOs -- just as a Calling Freq.  It could also be used for specific Nets -- as you suggested -- for leaders, Scouts, JOTA coordination, etc.

                If Bob Bruninga is monitoring: Bob you might let us know if the Scout "alias" or path is still up and what the procedures for calling CQ Scout on APRS is.  I seem to remember we had that capability on JOTA a few years back.  This would also enable the posting of IRLP Node numbers that a specific unit (Pack, Troop, Crew) is monitoring.

                73, Frank KR1ZAN
                Garland, TX

                A neat thing would be to set up an IRLP "scouting" reflector. That would be the ideal thing. There's a guy here in Palm Bay FL who has an IRLP node and he might be moving out of town, so if he doesn't take his node with him I might be able to do something there. We'll have to see.

                73,
                Dan Fisher, KG4SDJ
                Ass't Scoutmaster, Troop 734
                Palm Bay FL

                Snip ... snip
              • Danny Messano
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 6, 2003
                  I have set up an IRC Chat for scoutradio

                  The chat page is at:
                  http://bsa175.dns2go.com/radiochat

                  The special mIRC installer is at:
                  http://bsa175.dns2go.com/download/ScoutRadioChat.exe

                  For IRC savvy folks, the IRC specs are:

                  Network: irc.accessirc.net
                  Channel: #scoutradio
                  Channel key (password): letmein

                  I suggest we set a time and have a chat!

                  Also, I made one addition to the FRS channels. I propose using channel 5 for *CUB* scouts. I am sure the older boys will enjoy talking amongst themselves without our newest, untrained operators on channel. Channel 5 can be the training ground until the cubs are mature and trained enough to join the net on 1 or 12.

                  Danny Messano

                  --

                  Best regards,

                  Danny Messano
                • wb3bsa@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 7, 2003
                    Danny,
                    To answer your question, in this area of southeastern Pennsylvania,
                    there are several bbs's, and dx packet clusters, including those
                    of major contest clubs, that operate between 144.91 to 144.99.

                    73,
                    Rick

                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 7, 2003
                      If they absolutely won't budge on changing the training date, remember
                      that JOTA runs the whole weekend, so you could do something on Sunday.
                      There's not as much activity but you should be able to get on the air. In
                      fact, you would be helping to increase Sunday activity.

                      --
                      Frank Maynard, NF8M
                      CM, Pack 54 and MC, Troop 407
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 7, 2003
                        That is true. U. of S. is about 8 hours on Saturday. I could go there
                        and then come home and work JOTA Saturday night and Sunday. Saturday
                        afternoon seems to be our largest gathering for JOTA, though.

                      • scouter@fmaynard.com

                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 8, 2003
                            Frank,

                            That's something that we discussed, also. I think I'll recommend that
                            next year they arrange for some Scouter-Hams in the Orlando area to do a
                            JOTA presentation at U. of S. (Orlando is 70 miles away, and I'm sure
                            that they have plenty of willing Scouter-Hams in the Metro area to help
                            out on that.)

                            73,
                            Dan Fisher, KG4SDJ
                            Ass't Scoutmaster, Troop 734
                            Unit Commissioner, Manatee District, Central Florida Council

                            scouter@... wrote:

                            > You could also set up a station at Univ. of Scouting and show them what
                            > the boys are missing!!
                            >
                            > --
                            > Frank Maynard, NF8M
                            > CM, Pack 54 and MC, Troop 407
                            > Mighty Ottawa District, Clinton Valley Council
                            > Novi, Michigan

                          • Richard A. Blank
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 10, 2003
                              I think the net is a good idea. I would like to see it on Saturday, early afternoon, for camp stations like ours to check in.
                              K3BSA is a permanent Scout camp station. We are on the air every Friday evening and all day Saturday up to about 5:00 p.m.
                              Check out our website where you can see pictures of our station, http://www.k3bsa.org

                              73,
                              Rick, WB3BSA

                            • davifish@bellsouth.net