Re: FRS Radios at Scout Camp

  • Ray Vaughan
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
      At 12:29 PM 10/26/99 -0000, you wrote:
      >From: "TJ-wd4nhh" <wd4nhh@...>
      >
      >GMRS and FRS channels are not the same . FRS channel's are
      >
      >inbetween the GMRS channels and they are called splinter Freq.'s .
      >
      >T.J. WD4NHH
      >wd4nhh@...

      True, but GMRS licensees are permitted to use the seven 462 MHz splinters
      also. And at more power than the FRS users on the same channels. (but not
      as much as on the regular GMRS channels) There was some question as to
      GMRS <-> FRS traffic being legal, but there's a Opinion and Order from the
      FCC approving it. To see this, go to this page:

      http://www.rayvaughan.com/gmrs.htm

      So, as I read it, GMRS licensees CAN communicate with FRS users, but on
      only 7 channels. The selection of Scout channels might want to take those
      7 into consideration.

      Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
      KD4BBM
      ray@...
      http://www.rayvaughan.com/
    • Ray Vaughan
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
        At 01:47 PM 10/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
        >From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
        >Sort of. The GMRS had added seven "interstitial" channels.
        >These then were converted to "FRS" when the FRS service was enacted. SO
        >you are right that they were not part of the ancient GMRS channels, but
        >they were part of the GMRS servicve recently... I guess it depends on
        >what you call GMRS...?

        To follow up on this a bit more:

        http://www.dougweb.com/gmrsinter.html

        This shows the GMRS Interstitial and FRS channels side by side. It looks
        like FRS users on channels 1-7 get to talk to GMRS licensees, they're on
        their own on channels 8-14. So the 9-9 suggestion for Emergencies might
        need to be reconsidered if you would want to have GMRS as part of your
        camp's plan.

        Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
        KD4BBM
        ray@...
        http://www.rayvaughan.com/
      • Bob Bruninga
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
          2-channel FRS radios on sale this and next week at Best Buy for $49
          a PAIR! Brand name VOX-BOX (do not have VOX circuits).

          No PL. Run on 4 AAA's. 500 mw... (max legal power)

          Not a bad radio for $25 each...

          Not exactly APRS, but still useful at a special event...

          de WB4APR, Bob
        • Bob Bruninga
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 28, 1999
            On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Ray Vaughan wrote:

            > This shows the GMRS Interstitial and FRS channels side by side. It looks
            > like FRS users on channels 1-7 get to talk to GMRS licensees, they're on
            > their own on channels 8-14. So the 9-9 suggestion for Emergencies might
            > need to be reconsidered if you would want to have GMRS as part of your
            > camp's plan.

            Good point. I guess then channel 7? Who cares about "channel-9"
            anyway... it was only a vague reeerence to CB... and I am happy to
            distance ourselves from CB as much as possible.

            ALSO, I find it bad that all the documents in the FRS packages offer
            NOTHING IN THE WAY OF USER EDUCATION about how to use a radio and proper
            radiotelephone technique...

            At the beach, you hear "DADDY", then "DADDY! WHere are you !"
            Ie, no callsigns....

            I think the docs shouls "suggest to users the use of personal callsigns"

            bob