Re: FRS Radios at Scout Camp

  • Bob Bruninga
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
      On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, TJ-wd4nhh wrote:

      > From: "TJ-wd4nhh" <wd4nhh@...>
      >
      > GMRS and FRS channels are not the same . FRS channel's are
      >
      > inbetween the GMRS channels and they are called splinter Freq.'s .

      Sort of. The GMRS had added seven "interstitial" channels.
      These then were converted to "FRS" when the FRS service was enacted. SO
      you are right that they were not part of the ancient GMRS channels, but
      they were part of the GMRS servicve recently... I guess it depends on
      what you call GMRS...?

      Or at least that was the way I understood it. My GMRS radios talk fine on
      the "interstitial" channels with FRS units (except for the difference in
      deviation and frequency stability...

      bob
    • Ray Vaughan
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
        At 12:29 PM 10/26/99 -0000, you wrote:
        >From: "TJ-wd4nhh" <wd4nhh@...>
        >
        >GMRS and FRS channels are not the same . FRS channel's are
        >
        >inbetween the GMRS channels and they are called splinter Freq.'s .
        >
        >T.J. WD4NHH
        >wd4nhh@...

        True, but GMRS licensees are permitted to use the seven 462 MHz splinters
        also. And at more power than the FRS users on the same channels. (but not
        as much as on the regular GMRS channels) There was some question as to
        GMRS <-> FRS traffic being legal, but there's a Opinion and Order from the
        FCC approving it. To see this, go to this page:

        http://www.rayvaughan.com/gmrs.htm

        So, as I read it, GMRS licensees CAN communicate with FRS users, but on
        only 7 channels. The selection of Scout channels might want to take those
        7 into consideration.

        Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
        KD4BBM
        ray@...
        http://www.rayvaughan.com/
      • Ray Vaughan
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
          At 01:47 PM 10/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
          >From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
          >Sort of. The GMRS had added seven "interstitial" channels.
          >These then were converted to "FRS" when the FRS service was enacted. SO
          >you are right that they were not part of the ancient GMRS channels, but
          >they were part of the GMRS servicve recently... I guess it depends on
          >what you call GMRS...?

          To follow up on this a bit more:

          http://www.dougweb.com/gmrsinter.html

          This shows the GMRS Interstitial and FRS channels side by side. It looks
          like FRS users on channels 1-7 get to talk to GMRS licensees, they're on
          their own on channels 8-14. So the 9-9 suggestion for Emergencies might
          need to be reconsidered if you would want to have GMRS as part of your
          camp's plan.

          Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
          KD4BBM
          ray@...
          http://www.rayvaughan.com/
        • Bob Bruninga
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
            2-channel FRS radios on sale this and next week at Best Buy for $49
            a PAIR! Brand name VOX-BOX (do not have VOX circuits).

            No PL. Run on 4 AAA's. 500 mw... (max legal power)

            Not a bad radio for $25 each...

            Not exactly APRS, but still useful at a special event...

            de WB4APR, Bob
          • Bob Bruninga
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 28, 1999
              On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Ray Vaughan wrote:

              > This shows the GMRS Interstitial and FRS channels side by side. It looks
              > like FRS users on channels 1-7 get to talk to GMRS licensees, they're on
              > their own on channels 8-14. So the 9-9 suggestion for Emergencies might
              > need to be reconsidered if you would want to have GMRS as part of your
              > camp's plan.

              Good point. I guess then channel 7? Who cares about "channel-9"
              anyway... it was only a vague reeerence to CB... and I am happy to
              distance ourselves from CB as much as possible.

              ALSO, I find it bad that all the documents in the FRS packages offer
              NOTHING IN THE WAY OF USER EDUCATION about how to use a radio and proper
              radiotelephone technique...

              At the beach, you hear "DADDY", then "DADDY! WHere are you !"
              Ie, no callsigns....

              I think the docs shouls "suggest to users the use of personal callsigns"

              bob