Re: FRS Radios at Scout Camp

  • TJ-wd4nhh
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
      GMRS and FRS channels are not the same . FRS channel's are

      inbetween the GMRS channels and they are called splinter Freq.'s .

      T.J. WD4NHH
      wd4nhh@...
      Pack 301 Den 3 Asst. Den Leader
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
        On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, TJ-wd4nhh wrote:

        > From: "TJ-wd4nhh" <wd4nhh@...>
        >
        > GMRS and FRS channels are not the same . FRS channel's are
        >
        > inbetween the GMRS channels and they are called splinter Freq.'s .

        Sort of. The GMRS had added seven "interstitial" channels.
        These then were converted to "FRS" when the FRS service was enacted. SO
        you are right that they were not part of the ancient GMRS channels, but
        they were part of the GMRS servicve recently... I guess it depends on
        what you call GMRS...?

        Or at least that was the way I understood it. My GMRS radios talk fine on
        the "interstitial" channels with FRS units (except for the difference in
        deviation and frequency stability...

        bob
      • Ray Vaughan
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
          At 12:29 PM 10/26/99 -0000, you wrote:
          >From: "TJ-wd4nhh" <wd4nhh@...>
          >
          >GMRS and FRS channels are not the same . FRS channel's are
          >
          >inbetween the GMRS channels and they are called splinter Freq.'s .
          >
          >T.J. WD4NHH
          >wd4nhh@...

          True, but GMRS licensees are permitted to use the seven 462 MHz splinters
          also. And at more power than the FRS users on the same channels. (but not
          as much as on the regular GMRS channels) There was some question as to
          GMRS <-> FRS traffic being legal, but there's a Opinion and Order from the
          FCC approving it. To see this, go to this page:

          http://www.rayvaughan.com/gmrs.htm

          So, as I read it, GMRS licensees CAN communicate with FRS users, but on
          only 7 channels. The selection of Scout channels might want to take those
          7 into consideration.

          Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
          KD4BBM
          ray@...
          http://www.rayvaughan.com/
        • Ray Vaughan
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
            At 01:47 PM 10/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
            >From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
            >Sort of. The GMRS had added seven "interstitial" channels.
            >These then were converted to "FRS" when the FRS service was enacted. SO
            >you are right that they were not part of the ancient GMRS channels, but
            >they were part of the GMRS servicve recently... I guess it depends on
            >what you call GMRS...?

            To follow up on this a bit more:

            http://www.dougweb.com/gmrsinter.html

            This shows the GMRS Interstitial and FRS channels side by side. It looks
            like FRS users on channels 1-7 get to talk to GMRS licensees, they're on
            their own on channels 8-14. So the 9-9 suggestion for Emergencies might
            need to be reconsidered if you would want to have GMRS as part of your
            camp's plan.

            Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
            KD4BBM
            ray@...
            http://www.rayvaughan.com/
          • Bob Bruninga
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
              2-channel FRS radios on sale this and next week at Best Buy for $49
              a PAIR! Brand name VOX-BOX (do not have VOX circuits).

              No PL. Run on 4 AAA's. 500 mw... (max legal power)

              Not a bad radio for $25 each...

              Not exactly APRS, but still useful at a special event...

              de WB4APR, Bob
            • Bob Bruninga
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 28, 1999
                On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Ray Vaughan wrote:

                > This shows the GMRS Interstitial and FRS channels side by side. It looks
                > like FRS users on channels 1-7 get to talk to GMRS licensees, they're on
                > their own on channels 8-14. So the 9-9 suggestion for Emergencies might
                > need to be reconsidered if you would want to have GMRS as part of your
                > camp's plan.

                Good point. I guess then channel 7? Who cares about "channel-9"
                anyway... it was only a vague reeerence to CB... and I am happy to
                distance ourselves from CB as much as possible.

                ALSO, I find it bad that all the documents in the FRS packages offer
                NOTHING IN THE WAY OF USER EDUCATION about how to use a radio and proper
                radiotelephone technique...

                At the beach, you hear "DADDY", then "DADDY! WHere are you !"
                Ie, no callsigns....

                I think the docs shouls "suggest to users the use of personal callsigns"

                bob