Re: [Scoutradio] JOTA 2003 in Dallas

  • kimbare
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2003
      The easiest thing would be to go to the arrl.org site and hook up with
      a club in your area
    • James Olson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2003
        It's not too late!  You can still plan a JOTA activity for your Den, and maybe others in your pack.

        My suggestions:
        1) Order the patches from BSA HQ--They make a great souvenier and advertisement for the next year's JOTA.  Scouts love patches!
        2) (Assuming you are a ham)  Invite your Den, and the others in your pack to come by at a set time on Saturday.  Even just setting up your station for a few qso's will be fun for the kids.
        3)  When the boys arrive, give them a pencil and a one-page script to fill out.  The script can include things like their name, age, grade, favorite game, rank, what they did during the summer etc.  This will give the Scouts something to say and something to ask while on the air.
        4)  Teach the kids the phonetic alphabet.  Have a chart or handout for them to practice spelling their name on the air.  The kids love it!
        4)  Keep it short.  Plan for just 45 min to 1 hour per den.  You can expand your program next year, if you'd like.

        Have fun, and look for us on the air!

        James Olson, W4JO
        Powder Springs, GA
        Cub Scout Pack 702

        We are planning our 3rd year for JOTA, and
        Calvin <clw0017@...> wrote:
        I am a new cub scout leader in Dallas and would like to organize a
        JOTA for my pack. I know its late, but at least I would know what to
        do for next year. Any suggestions??? I just contacted a local amatuer
        radio club and awaiting to hear back from them.