Re: I need Help

  • kc7cli2
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
      I did JOTA events for several years & only ran them for about 4
      hrs 'cause that was all the help I could get plus the boys interest
      would start to wane after a couple of hours. I'd start at 10 am &
      go till 2 pm (some years we'd go longer if there was strong interest
      by the scouts.) Also, to keep the boys around longer, I'd run on
      foot foxhunts along w/having an HF station, morse code training,
      packet Plus we'd tie the event in with Jamboree on the Internet.
      Usually the folks who offered to help were willing to stick around
      later if the kids were showing more interest & everyone had fun with
      the foxhunts. I don't know whether this helps w/your dilemma or not.

      --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, "aws69" <aws69@p...> wrote:
      > I could really use some guidance on my JOTA plans this year. I am
      the JOTA
      > Organizer for the NHARC for the past 4 years and I feel the club
      has done
      > very well in promoting Ham Radio to Scouts. I also have taught
      Radio MB to
      > 40 or so scouts during that time.
      >
      > A little background on the activities:
      > Runs Sat morning from 8 AM till 5 PM.
      > Approximately 4 radios on the air(2 SSB, 1 CW and 1 FM(2m)).
      > 2 4hr Radio MB classes each with 5 scouts.
      > Majority of visitors ( Cub Scout Packs, non-MB Boy Scouts) come in
      the
      > afternoon.
      > Static displays are used(ISS tracking, CW demo, QSL cards).
      >

      > My dilemma come this year. The gentlemen in the club only want
      JOTA to run
      > for a short time on Saturday, say 4hrs. They get bored in the
      morning when
      > the visitors are few but I have a large class of MB scouts. They
      get tired
      > in the afternoon from being there all day.
      > Now hearing this most of you are thinking well why don't they work
      in
      > shifts........ well I don't know why they can't work in shifts!
      They have to
      > stay there with the club's equipment.
      >
      > To make matters worse I was finally able to talk to a local Girl
      Scout
      > leader and could possibility offer the radio patch mentioned on
      the ARRL
      > website.
      >
      > There I vented and welcome any input on my predicament.
      >
      > 73
      >
      > Alan Stumpf, KB3DHC
      > Greater Pittsburgh Council
      > Assistant Scoutmaster Troop 377
      > aws69@p...
    • Fred Stevens K2FRD
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
        In Otschodela Council (Oneonta, NY), we've had very good success with
        our JOTA by combining it with a District Fall Camporee which is
        planned for the JOTA date every year. We put it on ourselves through
        our Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group (OCARG - see below URL),
        but as a secondary event to the main camporee. We've found that by
        having four or five stations (each station has differing
        capabilities, e.g. one will originate NTS message traffic (via VHF)
        for the Scouts if they want to send a "Hi Mom, I'm fine" or "Dad, I
        need dry socks" messages home; another does APRS; a couple others do
        HF; I do PSK31) positioned almost randomly around the camporee area
        and available for the Scouts to wander into in small groups (we tried
        scheduling by Troop; didn't work - too many at one time) on their own
        time works best for us.

        Importantly, we invite the operators (all former Scouts or presently
        active Scouting Volunteers) to camp out with us, join the camporee
        staff for meetings, and otherwise make them feel like they belong
        rather than being just a visitor. As a result, we had thirteen
        (possibly more; I couldn't keep track of them all) operators last
        year to man the five stations which included two camper trailers
        converted for emergency radio communications (will be three this
        year), an old ambulance converted to emergency radio communications
        use (Troop 73, Voorheesville, NY), and two tent set-ups (I'm the one
        who is caving this year and switching to a camper trailer). With the
        station operators staying for both nights of the camporee, we not
        only had good coverage for all hours for the length of the camporee,
        we all had fun, too (despite the lousy weather). We're presently
        organizing for this year and hoping for better weather. This will be
        our sixth year running JOTA and each year it gets a little bigger and
        better.

        --
        73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Labrador 2004 DXpedition: http://home.stny.rr.com/k2frd/Labrador2004.htm
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2003
          I have the same problem here in Greenville,Texas.One
          of our club do the same way I have asked and they
          reply I can only help for X amount of hours and I am
          stuck with it all day.So don't feel bad.It sounds like
          that you have a really good thing going there.I am an
          Asst. Scout Master in Boys Scout Troop 322 in the
          Tawakoni district in Greenville. I will also be doing
          the Radio MB in a couple of months.Hang in there and
          hope to here ya'll on the air. Can't figure what call
          sign to use yet. Mine KD5PXU or the Majors Field Radio
          Club WD5GSL which I am the President of.73's

          Barry Griffin
          KD5PXU
          Troop 322

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com