Re: FRS Radios at Scout Camp

  • TJ-wd4nhh
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 25, 1999
      The two channel radio's I've seen have channel's 1 & 8 .

      T.J. WD4NHH
      wd4nhh@...

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 25, 1999
        At 05:15 PM 10/25/99 -0400, you wrote:
        >From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
        >I chose 9/9 simply as a parallel to "CB" channel 9, but if there is any
        >other combination of digits that is "common" in scouting, then I am happy
        >if we choose that instead. Since many "families" and general public may
        >also think in terms of choosing the same CH/TONE combos, then 9/9 may have
        >more QRM from non scouters than if we did something totally off the wall
        >such as 9/15. (dont go above 15 since many radios only offer the first 15
        >tones...)

        Have you thought about an interface to GMRS? If I'm there with my GMRS
        radio, I can legally talk to FRS users (http://www.rayvaughan.com/gmrs.htm)
        on the 462 channels we have in common. Would that be a good choice for the
        camp HQ maybe? Of course, anyone using the radio in the office would need
        to get their own GMRS license. Active Scout masters might also want to
        upgrade. 2 watts of "Come back to camp" on a base antenna would be better
        than milliwatts.

        Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
        KD4BBM PG-7-15266
        http://www.rayvaughan.com/
        ray@...
      • Bob Bruninga
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
          On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Ray J. Vaughan wrote:

          > Have you thought about an interface to GMRS? If I'm there with my GMRS
          > radio, I can legally talk to FRS users (http://www.rayvaughan.com/gmrs.htm)
          > on the 462 channels we have in common. Would that be a good choice for the
          > camp HQ maybe?

          Interesting, yes, I bought eery GMRS radio I could find when Radio Shack
          closed them out... But I was pretty sure that the "rules" prohibit one
          service from talking to the other... even though we know they are
          identical on the 7 interstitial channels. (but the FRS uses 2.5 KHz
          deviatino and the GMRS uses 5. I find that the GMRS are not frequency
          stable enough to remain in the passband of the FRS, and thus, the FRS
          frequently squleches them out...

          bob
        • TJ-wd4nhh
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
            GMRS and FRS channels are not the same . FRS channel's are

            inbetween the GMRS channels and they are called splinter Freq.'s .

            T.J. WD4NHH
            wd4nhh@...
            Pack 301 Den 3 Asst. Den Leader

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
              On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, TJ-wd4nhh wrote:

              > From: "TJ-wd4nhh" <wd4nhh@...>
              >
              > GMRS and FRS channels are not the same . FRS channel's are
              >
              > inbetween the GMRS channels and they are called splinter Freq.'s .

              Sort of. The GMRS had added seven "interstitial" channels.
              These then were converted to "FRS" when the FRS service was enacted. SO
              you are right that they were not part of the ancient GMRS channels, but
              they were part of the GMRS servicve recently... I guess it depends on
              what you call GMRS...?

              Or at least that was the way I understood it. My GMRS radios talk fine on
              the "interstitial" channels with FRS units (except for the difference in
              deviation and frequency stability...

              bob
            • Ray Vaughan
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
                At 12:29 PM 10/26/99 -0000, you wrote:
                >From: "TJ-wd4nhh" <wd4nhh@...>
                >
                >GMRS and FRS channels are not the same . FRS channel's are
                >
                >inbetween the GMRS channels and they are called splinter Freq.'s .
                >
                >T.J. WD4NHH
                >wd4nhh@...

                True, but GMRS licensees are permitted to use the seven 462 MHz splinters
                also. And at more power than the FRS users on the same channels. (but not
                as much as on the regular GMRS channels) There was some question as to
                GMRS <-> FRS traffic being legal, but there's a Opinion and Order from the
                FCC approving it. To see this, go to this page:

                http://www.rayvaughan.com/gmrs.htm

                So, as I read it, GMRS licensees CAN communicate with FRS users, but on
                only 7 channels. The selection of Scout channels might want to take those
                7 into consideration.

                Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
                KD4BBM
                ray@...
                http://www.rayvaughan.com/
              • Ray Vaughan
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
                  At 01:47 PM 10/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
                  >From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@...>
                  >Sort of. The GMRS had added seven "interstitial" channels.
                  >These then were converted to "FRS" when the FRS service was enacted. SO
                  >you are right that they were not part of the ancient GMRS channels, but
                  >they were part of the GMRS servicve recently... I guess it depends on
                  >what you call GMRS...?

                  To follow up on this a bit more:

                  http://www.dougweb.com/gmrsinter.html

                  This shows the GMRS Interstitial and FRS channels side by side. It looks
                  like FRS users on channels 1-7 get to talk to GMRS licensees, they're on
                  their own on channels 8-14. So the 9-9 suggestion for Emergencies might
                  need to be reconsidered if you would want to have GMRS as part of your
                  camp's plan.

                  Ray J. Vaughan, MS, CBTE
                  KD4BBM
                  ray@...
                  http://www.rayvaughan.com/
                • Bob Bruninga
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 26, 1999
                    2-channel FRS radios on sale this and next week at Best Buy for $49
                    a PAIR! Brand name VOX-BOX (do not have VOX circuits).

                    No PL. Run on 4 AAA's. 500 mw... (max legal power)

                    Not a bad radio for $25 each...

                    Not exactly APRS, but still useful at a special event...

                    de WB4APR, Bob
                  • Bob Bruninga
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 28, 1999
                      On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Ray Vaughan wrote:

                      > This shows the GMRS Interstitial and FRS channels side by side. It looks
                      > like FRS users on channels 1-7 get to talk to GMRS licensees, they're on
                      > their own on channels 8-14. So the 9-9 suggestion for Emergencies might
                      > need to be reconsidered if you would want to have GMRS as part of your
                      > camp's plan.

                      Good point. I guess then channel 7? Who cares about "channel-9"
                      anyway... it was only a vague reeerence to CB... and I am happy to
                      distance ourselves from CB as much as possible.

                      ALSO, I find it bad that all the documents in the FRS packages offer
                      NOTHING IN THE WAY OF USER EDUCATION about how to use a radio and proper
                      radiotelephone technique...

                      At the beach, you hear "DADDY", then "DADDY! WHere are you !"
                      Ie, no callsigns....

                      I think the docs shouls "suggest to users the use of personal callsigns"

                      bob