I need Help

  • aws69
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2003
      I could really use some guidance on my JOTA plans this year. I am the JOTA
      Organizer for the NHARC for the past 4 years and I feel the club has done
      very well in promoting Ham Radio to Scouts. I also have taught Radio MB to
      40 or so scouts during that time.

      A little background on the activities:
      Runs Sat morning from 8 AM till 5 PM.
      Approximately 4 radios on the air(2 SSB, 1 CW and 1 FM(2m)).
      2 4hr Radio MB classes each with 5 scouts.
      Majority of visitors ( Cub Scout Packs, non-MB Boy Scouts) come in the
      afternoon.
      Static displays are used(ISS tracking, CW demo, QSL cards).

      My dilemma come this year. The gentlemen in the club only want JOTA to run
      for a short time on Saturday, say 4hrs. They get bored in the morning when
      the visitors are few but I have a large class of MB scouts. They get tired
      in the afternoon from being there all day.
      Now hearing this most of you are thinking well why don't they work in
      shifts........ well I don't know why they can't work in shifts! They have to
      stay there with the club's equipment.

      To make matters worse I was finally able to talk to a local Girl Scout
      leader and could possibility offer the radio patch mentioned on the ARRL
      website.

      There I vented and welcome any input on my predicament.

      73

      Alan Stumpf, KB3DHC
      Greater Pittsburgh Council
      Assistant Scoutmaster Troop 377
      aws69@...
    • kc7cli2
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
        I did JOTA events for several years & only ran them for about 4
        hrs 'cause that was all the help I could get plus the boys interest
        would start to wane after a couple of hours. I'd start at 10 am &
        go till 2 pm (some years we'd go longer if there was strong interest
        by the scouts.) Also, to keep the boys around longer, I'd run on
        foot foxhunts along w/having an HF station, morse code training,
        packet Plus we'd tie the event in with Jamboree on the Internet.
        Usually the folks who offered to help were willing to stick around
        later if the kids were showing more interest & everyone had fun with
        the foxhunts. I don't know whether this helps w/your dilemma or not.

        --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, "aws69" <aws69@p...> wrote:
        > I could really use some guidance on my JOTA plans this year. I am
        the JOTA
        > Organizer for the NHARC for the past 4 years and I feel the club
        has done
        > very well in promoting Ham Radio to Scouts. I also have taught
        Radio MB to
        > 40 or so scouts during that time.
        >
        > A little background on the activities:
        > Runs Sat morning from 8 AM till 5 PM.
        > Approximately 4 radios on the air(2 SSB, 1 CW and 1 FM(2m)).
        > 2 4hr Radio MB classes each with 5 scouts.
        > Majority of visitors ( Cub Scout Packs, non-MB Boy Scouts) come in
        the
        > afternoon.
        > Static displays are used(ISS tracking, CW demo, QSL cards).
        >

        > My dilemma come this year. The gentlemen in the club only want
        JOTA to run
        > for a short time on Saturday, say 4hrs. They get bored in the
        morning when
        > the visitors are few but I have a large class of MB scouts. They
        get tired
        > in the afternoon from being there all day.
        > Now hearing this most of you are thinking well why don't they work
        in
        > shifts........ well I don't know why they can't work in shifts!
        They have to
        > stay there with the club's equipment.
        >
        > To make matters worse I was finally able to talk to a local Girl
        Scout
        > leader and could possibility offer the radio patch mentioned on
        the ARRL
        > website.
        >
        > There I vented and welcome any input on my predicament.
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Alan Stumpf, KB3DHC
        > Greater Pittsburgh Council
        > Assistant Scoutmaster Troop 377
        > aws69@p...
      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
          In Otschodela Council (Oneonta, NY), we've had very good success with
          our JOTA by combining it with a District Fall Camporee which is
          planned for the JOTA date every year. We put it on ourselves through
          our Otschodela Council Amateur Radio Group (OCARG - see below URL),
          but as a secondary event to the main camporee. We've found that by
          having four or five stations (each station has differing
          capabilities, e.g. one will originate NTS message traffic (via VHF)
          for the Scouts if they want to send a "Hi Mom, I'm fine" or "Dad, I
          need dry socks" messages home; another does APRS; a couple others do
          HF; I do PSK31) positioned almost randomly around the camporee area
          and available for the Scouts to wander into in small groups (we tried
          scheduling by Troop; didn't work - too many at one time) on their own
          time works best for us.

          Importantly, we invite the operators (all former Scouts or presently
          active Scouting Volunteers) to camp out with us, join the camporee
          staff for meetings, and otherwise make them feel like they belong
          rather than being just a visitor. As a result, we had thirteen
          (possibly more; I couldn't keep track of them all) operators last
          year to man the five stations which included two camper trailers
          converted for emergency radio communications (will be three this
          year), an old ambulance converted to emergency radio communications
          use (Troop 73, Voorheesville, NY), and two tent set-ups (I'm the one
          who is caving this year and switching to a camper trailer). With the
          station operators staying for both nights of the camporee, we not
          only had good coverage for all hours for the length of the camporee,
          we all had fun, too (despite the lousy weather). We're presently
          organizing for this year and hoping for better weather. This will be
          our sixth year running JOTA and each year it gets a little bigger and
          better.

          --
          73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
          Labrador 2004 DXpedition: http://home.stny.rr.com/k2frd/Labrador2004.htm
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2003
            I have the same problem here in Greenville,Texas.One
            of our club do the same way I have asked and they
            reply I can only help for X amount of hours and I am
            stuck with it all day.So don't feel bad.It sounds like
            that you have a really good thing going there.I am an
            Asst. Scout Master in Boys Scout Troop 322 in the
            Tawakoni district in Greenville. I will also be doing
            the Radio MB in a couple of months.Hang in there and
            hope to here ya'll on the air. Can't figure what call
            sign to use yet. Mine KD5PXU or the Majors Field Radio
            Club WD5GSL which I am the President of.73's

            Barry Griffin
            KD5PXU
            Troop 322

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com