Re: [Scoutradio] Scout FRS Guidelines

  • steve boylan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 24, 2003
      Jon, N3VZG, wrote:

      > I like the current numbering system. I would think you could find the
      > FRS / GMRS frequencies online. All you would need is a conversion table
      > on the bottom of the back page. If someone with a GMRS radio had no
      > success, then all they would have to do is check the list to find what
      > the frequency was otherwise.

      Yes, it IS a bit of a mess, isn't it? I don't know if this will increase
      or decrease the overall confusion, but here are the frequencies assigned
      to the General Mobile Radio Service and the Family Radio Service:

      f, MHz GMRS FRS
      ------ ---- ---

      462.550 S, DR
      462.5625 S Ch. 1
      462.575 S, DR
      462.5875 S Ch. 2
      462.600 S, DR
      462.6125 S Ch. 3
      462.625 S, DR
      462.6375 S Ch. 4
      462.650 S, DR
      462.6625 S Ch. 5
      462.675 S, DR
      462.6875 S Ch. 6
      462.700 S, DR
      462.7125 S Ch. 7
      462.725 S, DR

      467.550 DT
      467.5625 Ch. 8
      467.575 DT
      467.5875 Ch. 9
      467.600 DT
      467.6125 Ch. 10
      467.625 DT
      467.6375 Ch. 11
      467.650 DT
      467.6625 Ch. 12
      467.675 DT
      467.6875 Ch. 13
      467.700 DT
      467.7125 Ch. 14
      467.725 DT

      S: Simplex operation
      DR: Mobile receive in duplex or repeater operation
      DT: Mobile transmit in duplex or repeater operation

      FRS radios only operate in simplex mode. GMRS radios may operate in
      either simplex (transmit and receive on the same frequency) or duplex
      (transmit on one frequency, receive on another). (Okay, so it's usually
      half-duplex ...) The frequencies are paired: when operating through a
      repeater, a GMRS radio would transmit on, say, 467.550 and receive on
      462.550 - 5 MHz apart.

      The FRS channels are spelled out in the regulations for that service. In
      contrast, there are no fixed channel assignments for the GMRS frequencies
      and different radios use different channel numbers. For example, the
      MAXON 15-channel GMRS radios use 1-8 for the GMRS channels and 9-15 for
      the shared channels (FRS channels 1-7). Cobra's newer 22-channel units
      use 1-14 for the FRS channels, and 15-22 for the eight GMRS channels.

      GMRS radios with a limited number of channels (2 or 4) either have a fixed
      assignment - for example, channel 1 might be 462.575, channel 2 462.625,
      channel 3 462.675, channel 4 462.7125 (also FRS channel 7) - or the user
      can assign different frequencies to different channels.

      Another thing to keep in mind is that GMRS radios require a license. The
      minimum age for a GMRS license is 18 years. Families of the GMRS licensee
      may operate the system, with permission of the licensee. But you can't
      casually hand out GMRS radios to scouts.

      If you're going to use these radios at scouting events, I would say you're
      probably best off sticking with the FRS channel numbers. Anyone with a
      GMRS-only radio should figure out beforehand how useful your radio is
      going to be and how effectively you can communicate with those using the
      FRS rules.

      - - Steve, KE1KF