Re: [Scoutradio] First PA5UL/J: need ideas

  • Dan Fisher KG4SDJ
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2003
      Chikai,

      I don't know how Scouting is set up in the Netherlands, but in the U.S.
      every Scout unit is supported by a district, which is supported by a
      Council, which is supported by National. Once a month, the districts
      have a "Roundtable" where representatives (usually Scout leaders) of the
      units meet and discuss issues, upcoming events, and receive some amount
      of training.

      I would recommend you go to the next Roundtable to start talking up
      JOTA. And forget the towers, and all that other expensive stuff. A
      fellow Scout leader and I did our first JOTA this past year with a
      dipole, a Backpacker antenna, a couple of personally-owned HF radios,
      and a couple of 2-Meter radios. One of the biggest thrills the Scouts
      had was talking over an IRLP link. to Scouts in Australia!

      If you want to use the towers, etc., then have JOTA in your home. Just
      remember to have at least one other leader with you at all times.

      If you want to link your Scouts with ours this year over IRLP, let me know.

      Dan Fisher KG4SDJ
      Palm Bay, Florida USA