new here

  • ka8s1
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2003
      I am new to this group, I am an Eagle cout Class of 1992, Extra Class
      Ham Radio Operator, and a member of the Advancement comittee for BSA
      Troop 273 in Stow Ohio, Our radio Club (Cuyahoga Falls ARC) does JOTA
      every year for the past 5+ yrs. Me and a youth in the troop that is
      also a ham have tried year after year to get kids interested in ham
      radio to no avail..... even the councils camporall was in the same
      area as JOTA and the council wanted nothing to do with it.......

      Scott (KA8S)
    • Dan Fisher
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2003
        Scott,

        I'm sorry that there's such a lack of interest there. I don't know what
        to suggest right now; just hang in there. Perhaps if you have an ATV
        demo, or packet or IRLP that might help.

        73 de Dan KG4SDJ

        ka8s1 wrote:

        > I am new to this group, I am an Eagle cout Class of 1992, Extra Class
        > Ham Radio Operator, and a member of the Advancement comittee for BSA
        > Troop 273 in Stow Ohio, Our radio Club (Cuyahoga Falls ARC) does JOTA
        > every year for the past 5+ yrs. Me and a youth in the troop that is
        > also a ham have tried year after year to get kids interested in ham
        > radio to no avail..... even the councils camporall was in the same
        > area as JOTA and the council wanted nothing to do with it.......
        >

        > Scott (KA8S)
        >

        > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705066162:HM/A=1564416/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60164797&partid=3170658>

        > http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

        > ScoutRadio start page:

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
      • Fred Stevens K2FRD
        Message 3 of 4 , May 23, 2003
          Scott--

          I agree with Dan. Forget the Council and march to your own beat:
          Round up as many hams (preferably those in Scouting) in your area as
          possible and run your own JOTA. Possibly make it a Special Event. Run
          a message center at camporees for Scouts to send a radiogram home to
          Mom saying what a good time he's having. Make a big deal about it -
          give it lots of publicity. Council Execs love publicity - give 'em a
          good party and they'll start throwing their own.

          Voice of experience.

          73 de Fred K2FRD
          Otschodela Council (NY) Amateur Radio Group

          --
          73 de Fred Stevens K2FRD
          Otschodela Council (BSA) Amateur Radio Group KZ2BSA:
          Message 4 of 4 , May 23, 2003
            You know another idea might be to take the group of scouts you have and form a Venture Crew.  Many Venture Crews are Amateur Radio and Computer based, and most councils like the idea of expansion and new units being formed.

            -Tom-
            Committee Member, Venture Crew 828 (Amateur Radio and Computers)
            Baltimore, MD