Re: [Scoutradio] HAM Shacks at Camp.

  • KB3CVS (Tom)
    Message 1 of 15 , May 21, 2003
      Bob - I'm working with a HAM RADIO Venture Crew that used to have a
      repeater at Broadcreek. I may be able to have one once again, I have a
      Maggiore Repeater (Hi Pro Mk II) but it needs a controller, crystals and
      a duplexer. We've been asked if we can get a repeater back up at
      Broadcreek again.

      Let me know if you want the Venture Crew 828 folks to help you anytime -
      I think you can count on their support any way you can use it!

      73,
      -Tom-
      Tom Hendricks

      Bob Bruninga wrote:

      >MAGNET for your HAM shack in camp:
      >
      >We have a central HAM shack (the old trading post)
      >at our huge Scout reservation that supports 3 full
      >size scout camps. Thus, some boys are close, some
      >are quite a hike away.
      >
      >We are planning on having an FRS walike-talkie in
      >the shack at the operating position so that we can
      >chat with boys and invite them in whenever the
      >shack is in operation. We will post the FRS channel
      >in the dining hall so that boys that are interested
      >can tune in and give us a call...
      >
      >Or they can listen-in to the bleeps and squawks that
      >emminate from the shack! The FRS channel for HAMS
      >to meet is of course Channel 7 tone 3. 73!
      >
      >See our Shacks-4-Packs web page:
      >
      > http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/shacks4packs.html
      >
      >de WB4APR, Bob

      >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
      >http://www.ontargetbsa.org/

      >Visit the "Adventure Radio Society" http://www.natworld.com/ars/
      >
      >ScoutRadio start page:
      >
      >Post message: scoutradio@yahoogroups.com

    • Glen Westbroek
      Message 2 of 15 , May 21, 2003
        My boys and I are all licensed. We had the same problem at camps in Oregon
        and Utah. Educating the staff at one camp meant taking it to the camp
        director. Once they understand the difference, I've found there are less
        problems. Bob's pamphlet will be used at yet two more new camps this
        summer.

        As a side note, twice we have used the radios to help the staff at the camps
        later in the week. Once was to contact the outside because nobody could get
        out on a cell phone. The staff was very happy to learn more about Amateur
        Radio that day:) The other time a staff member was injured and my son and I
        communicated to get help in.

        Glen Westbroek
        KD7LLE
      • AsABat
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 23, 2003
          --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, Reid Crowe <bigreidous@s...> wrote:
          > of the trail. What is the repeater coverage like there?

          I'm on the other coast, but there's a web page at
          http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/hamguide.html
          that should answer your questions. It looks like it's been updated in
          the last year.

          Bill Jeffrey AA6J
          www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct
          Pacific Crest Trail Repeater Guide
        • Bill Stewart
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 24, 2003
            As far as the Virginia section of the AT is concerned, the repeater coverage is excellent. There are several repeaters that are very nearby the AT. The reason is that several of the peaks
            along the Blue Ridge Mountain range have microwave towers on top of them usually with repeaters on them. On the Northern Virginia end of the AT I can rcommend the 147.300+
            machine located near Bluemont, Virginia. It enjoys coverage of most of the northern part of Virginia. I would recommend an HT antenna other than the rubber duck (dummy load)
            that comes with your radio. If you can get your hands on a telescoping 2m antenna you will experience some amazing propagation and have a little fun, too.

            73,

            Bill, W2BSA

            AsABat wrote:
            --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, Reid Crowe <bigreidous@s...> wrote:

            of the trail.  What is the repeater coverage like there?

            I'm on the other coast, but there's a web page at
            http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/hamguide.html
            that should answer your questions. It looks like it's been updated in
            the last year.

            Bill Jeffrey AA6J
            www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct
            Pacific Crest Trail Repeater Guide

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/y6TolB/TM

          • Jon Blatman, N3VZG, EMT-B
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 25, 2003
              And just think, if the radio dosen't work, you can still use the collapable antenna in any number of ways:

              Fishing Rod
              Strecher Handle (might want to bring a pair of antennas "just in case")
              Scout Prod

              Jon
              N3VZG

              AsABat wrote:
              --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, Reid Crowe <bigreidous@s...> wrote:

              of the trail.  What is the repeater coverage like there?

              I'm on the other coast, but there's a web page at
              http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/hamguide.html
              that should answer your questions. It looks like it's been updated in
              the last year.

              Bill Jeffrey AA6J
              www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct
              Pacific Crest Trail Repeater Guide