Re: [Scoutradio] Re: youth scouting/radio web pages

  • Dan Fisher
    Message 1 of 15 , May 20, 2003
      Bob,

      That's a neat idea, it's cheap and easy, and no license needed!!!

      Dan KG4SDJ

      Bob Bruninga wrote:

      > I took one of the small single channel FRS radios and put it in a tin-can
      > with a tin lid and rubber band around the PTT. Range was about 100
      > yards....

    • AsABat
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 23, 2003
        > 2) A good on-line self study for the Radio Merit Badge. Text and
        > fill in the blanks, multiple choice, etc. There are a couple of
        > sites, including a link off the ARRL page, for some studies. The
        > site should include various forms to facilitate drawings.
        > Instructions on how to find a Radio MB counselor.

        Interesting... I've been wondering if it might be possible to offer
        merit badges electronically. What problems could there be? Getting
        others to do the work for them? Of course, they'd still have to have
        the QSO and visit a ham shack.

        I have given some Scouts partials at Scout Fair, then mail the last
        requirement to me for sign off. I also talked with one young ham on
        the air to complete some requirements. That was a unique way to earn
        a merit badge!

        Bill Jeffrey AA6J
        www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb
        Radio Merit Badge Notes
      • Scott Sarah
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 23, 2003
          AsABat wrote:

          > Interesting... I've been wondering if it might be possible to offer
          > merit badges electronically. What problems could there be? Getting
          > others to do the work for them? Of course, they'd still have to have
          > the QSO and visit a ham shack.

          proving it was done by a registered Radio Merit badge councelor, having
          the partial/merit badge card, and the signature, and as your said not
          knowing if hey did it or their parents did it.

          Scott (Advancement Comittee member of BSA Troop 273 in Stow Ohio)