Re: youth scouting/radio web pages

  • kr1zan
    Message 1 of 15 , May 20, 2003
      --- In scoutradio@yahoogroups.com, "Jean" <jwolfgang@a...> wrote:
      > ARRL is planning to create web pages that will appeal to young
      people
      > pertaining to ham radio.

      <<<<<<<<< Snip ... Snip >>>>>>>>

      >Any ideas?
      >
      > Jean

      Jean,

      Comment on the Youth Sked's Database:
      http://www.arrl.org/FandES/ead/youthskeds/

      I like the Youth Sked's Database, but, I'd like to see it expanded:
      1) Add an entry for a URL (especially useful for clubs)
      2) Add a "box" for listing comments about special event, URL, times,
      frequencies, type of activity, special interests.
      3) Expand the search options to search for keywords in the "box"
      4) Notify the posting group via their listed email address about 30
      days prior to expiration that their entry is about to expire. This
      might be an optional button for those postings which are time
      sensitive and for which the poster wants them to die naturally (i.e.,
      JOTA)
      5) Add a button for KID'S DAY. Of course, item 2 (comments box)
      might greatly simplify the proliferation of buttons. For example,
      groups going hiking during JOTT (Jamboree on The Trail), Scouts
      operating Field Day, or Straight Key Night, Guides On The Air (GOTA),
      etc.

      The Search feature would also overcome the problem some of us have
      now if a Scout group (i.e., Cub Scouts or Venturing/Exploring) posts
      in "Other Youth Group" rather than "Boy Scouts".

      73, Frank KR1ZAN
      Advisor, Venturer Crew 73 - K5BSA
      Richardson, TX
    • Dan Fisher
      Message 2 of 15 , May 20, 2003
        Bob,

        That's a neat idea, it's cheap and easy, and no license needed!!!

        Dan KG4SDJ

        Bob Bruninga wrote:

        > I took one of the small single channel FRS radios and put it in a tin-can
        > with a tin lid and rubber band around the PTT. Range was about 100
        > yards....

      • AsABat
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 23, 2003
          > 2) A good on-line self study for the Radio Merit Badge. Text and
          > fill in the blanks, multiple choice, etc. There are a couple of
          > sites, including a link off the ARRL page, for some studies. The
          > site should include various forms to facilitate drawings.
          > Instructions on how to find a Radio MB counselor.

          Interesting... I've been wondering if it might be possible to offer
          merit badges electronically. What problems could there be? Getting
          others to do the work for them? Of course, they'd still have to have
          the QSO and visit a ham shack.

          I have given some Scouts partials at Scout Fair, then mail the last
          requirement to me for sign off. I also talked with one young ham on
          the air to complete some requirements. That was a unique way to earn
          a merit badge!

          Bill Jeffrey AA6J
          www.qsl.net/aa6j/radiomb
          Radio Merit Badge Notes
        • Scott Sarah
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 23, 2003
            AsABat wrote:

            > Interesting... I've been wondering if it might be possible to offer
            > merit badges electronically. What problems could there be? Getting
            > others to do the work for them? Of course, they'd still have to have
            > the QSO and visit a ham shack.

            proving it was done by a registered Radio Merit badge councelor, having
            the partial/merit badge card, and the signature, and as your said not
            knowing if hey did it or their parents did it.

            Scott (Advancement Comittee member of BSA Troop 273 in Stow Ohio)