      From: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com]
      Sent: Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:06 PM
      To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com; ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] Blinker Morse App

      I would love to see some Scout radio activities that are not Morse code.
      Every time, we start with code practice oscillators.

      Everybody here, think of three non-Morse fun things that you do with radio.

      wunder
      K6WRU
      CM87wj
      Asst. Scoutmaster, Troop 14, Palo Alto
      District Advancement Committee
      http://observer.wunderwood.org/

      On Aug 7, 2014, at 8:56 PM, Frank Krizan frank.krizan@...
      [ScoutRadio] <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Lightwave communications seems to flow like the tide. This web site:
      http://www.g1ogy.com/www.n1bug.net/tech/laser/alc_wa6ejo.html has some good
      history and ideas for hardware (electronic and optical) for lightwave
      transmission.

      > I tend to like the idea of using SmartPhones to demonstrate flashing
      light, sounds and decoding. But, in the outdoors, when you may not have a
      SmartPhone, or power for one, or a backpack full of gear, consider knowing
      Morse Code, or having a "cheat-sheet" in your wallet or backpack, and, using
      Wig-Wag or flashing light. The desire to learn, a demonstration and,
      perhaps, introductory training could come from an App; but, developing
      skills that allow communication with minimal resources is what may save
      lives.

      > On the other hand, constructing a lightwave transceiver allows for
      numerous STEM learning opportunities. Actually, amateur radio can be used
      for a great deal of STEM exercises. It's unfortunate that the BSA has
      relegated Radio to such a low level in the current program.

      > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
      >

      > On Aug 7, 2014, at 8:05 PM, Lars Christian Ingerslev ingerslev@...
      [ScoutRadio] <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      >> Two very intriguing subjects: Morse apps that are instructive and
      practical, and solar panel chargers for expedition use.

      >> These deserve further work.
      >>
      >> AB2SN Christian
      >>
      >> To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      >> From: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      >> Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 11:26:58 -0700
      >> Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] Blinker Morse App
      >>

      >> Thank you, and all the others for the many replies.
      >>

      >> If there is some interest in developing a new App that would focus on
      Scout activities, I would be interested in discussing what features are
      practical an desirable.

      >> Since there seems to be some stand alone Apps that can send Morse by
      using the touch screen, the focus might be on the receiving end, and/or an
      App to interface with external hardware for a demonstration over a much
      longer range than just in a room. Maybe for a tablet rather than a phone:
      a web cam mounted to a telescope for the receive side, and a "sender" that
      takes audio tone from the device and sends out a pulsed light beam ( so that
      visual Morse as well as FSK and PSK can be sent ).

      >> A phone App seems like the perfect way to demonstrate the idea in a troop
      meeting, then build up equipment to use in the field - across a lake or
      between buildings.

      >> Light communication can be used to demonstrate lots of communications
      technology without the need to have the participants get a license. Even
      showing the limitations of the light systems can be used as a stepping stone
      into amateur radio.

      >> Thank you all again
      >>

      >> James
      >> n5gui