4553Re: [ScoutRadio] Blinker Morse App

  • Frank Krizan
    Aug 7, 2014
      Lightwave communications seems to flow like the tide. This web site: http://www.g1ogy.com/www.n1bug.net/tech/laser/alc_wa6ejo.html has some good history and ideas for hardware (electronic and optical) for lightwave transmission.

      I tend to like the idea of using SmartPhones to demonstrate flashing light, sounds and decoding. But, in the outdoors, when you may not have a SmartPhone, or power for one, or a backpack full of gear, consider knowing Morse Code, or having a "cheat-sheet" in your wallet or backpack, and, using Wig-Wag or flashing light. The desire to learn, a demonstration and, perhaps, introductory training could come from an App; but, developing skills that allow communication with minimal resources is what may save lives.

      On the other hand, constructing a lightwave transceiver allows for numerous STEM learning opportunities. Actually, amateur radio can be used for a great deal of STEM exercises. It's unfortunate that the BSA has relegated Radio to such a low level in the current program.

      73, Frank KR1ZAN

      On Aug 7, 2014, at 8:05 PM, Lars Christian Ingerslev ingerslev@... [ScoutRadio] <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Two very intriguing subjects: Morse apps that are instructive and practical, and solar panel chargers for expedition use.
      >
      > These deserve further work.
      >
      > AB2SN Christian
      >
      > To: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      > From: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 11:26:58 -0700
      > Subject: Re: [ScoutRadio] Blinker Morse App
      >

      > Thank you, and all the others for the many replies.
      >

      > If there is some interest in developing a new App that would focus on Scout activities, I would be interested in discussing what features are practical an desirable.
      >

      > Since there seems to be some stand alone Apps that can send Morse by using the touch screen, the focus might be on the receiving end, and/or an App to interface with external hardware for a demonstration over a much longer range than just in a room. Maybe for a tablet rather than a phone: a web cam mounted to a telescope for the receive side, and a "sender" that takes audio tone from the device and sends out a pulsed light beam ( so that visual Morse as well as FSK and PSK can be sent ).
      >

      > A phone App seems like the perfect way to demonstrate the idea in a troop meeting, then build up equipment to use in the field - across a lake or between buildings.
      >

      > Light communication can be used to demonstrate lots of communications technology without the need to have the participants get a license. Even showing the limitations of the light systems can be used as a stepping stone into amateur radio.
      >

      > Thank you all again
      >

      > James
      > n5gui

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic