4544Re: [ScoutRadio] Blinker Morse App

  • Frank Krizan
    Aug 5, 2014
      Hi all,

      I've just heard back from Francis of PacoLabs, the creator of Morse-It. As mentioned previously, Morse-It includes the built-in flashlight feature for sending Morse Code by tapping on the glass or sending from a text file. Francis indicated that the video decode feature using the iPhone camera is a planned feature, but, he has no firm date as to when it will be implemented.

      I'm a Morse-It user ... so, when I see the App update (and, assuming I remember), I'll post to ScoutRadio.

      BTW ... the Morse-It App Tap feature is a great way to show Scouts how to send Morse. As they tap the screen, the App not only 'sounds' and "lights" the signal, but, the App decodes what they've sent. This way, they can get the hang of keeping dots and dashes together to form a character instead of sending "e" and "t". As many iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches as you can accumulate provide that many demo stations for Morse practice.

      The Morse-It App is supported by ICOM, who is a major supporter of Radio Scouting. For more information, see http://www.k2bsa.net/icom/

      BTW ... for Android users ... there's a similar App with lots less features called Morse It!. AND, this would satisfy the request for visual decoding, a new App called Demorse It!, that decodes Morse sent by flashing light. Perhaps someone with an Android has or may want to get these Apps and let us know how well they work. It looks like Morse It! is free, while Demorse It! is $2.03. More info at http://robotechvision.com/?redirect=demorseit

      73, Frank KR1ZAN
      Member, BSA National Radio Scouting Committee

      On Aug 5, 2014, at 12:54 PM, Frank Krizan frank.krizan@... [ScoutRadio] <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > Take a look at Morse-It. This App includes the feature for either sending from text or by tapping on an area on the screen. The App uses the built-in flashlight.
      >
      > I don't find that the App will decode from another iPhone light or a flashlight. I have sent an inquiry to the vendor to see what their plans are.
      >
      > Morse-It has numerous features that are useful for the Scouter. It includes an excellent Decode function that is handy for demonstrating receiving Morse code, or when the signal is a little faster than one's skill.
      >
      > 73, Frank KR1ZAN
      >

      > On Aug 5, 2014, at 12:19 PM, Mark Phillips g7ltt@... [ScoutRadio] <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      >

      >> Just found Blinkgerat in the play store. Kinda like an Aldis lamp but its very slow. I did not see any way to increase the keying speed.
      >>
      >> On Aug 5, 2014 10:39 AM, "n5gui@... [ScoutRadio]" <ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      >>

      >> I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a cell phone App that would send out blinking light Morse code? It would be similar to the flashlight App that is commonly used.
      >>

      >> And on the flip side, I thought that if a cell phone camera App can decode QR codes and product bar codes, could it also translate blinking light Morse?
      >>

      >> I sure this sound like a really weird idea ( Like REALLY WEIRD ), but I just spent a week at Philmont for a STEM conference, and we got to play with some really, really cool stuff. What got me thinking about cell phone Apps were two projects. One was a set of QR codes used at exhibits at a STEM summer camp. And before anybody asks, yes, the Scouts were actually encouraged to bring, and use, their cell phones as part of the program activities.
      >>

      >> The other was not a Scout project at all, but rather an effort to provide low cost microscopes for medical diagnosis of diseases in underdeveloped countries. They are printed onto plastic ( like heavy paper or card stock ), scored to be punched out almost like paper dolls, and folded together ( high tech origami ). We had prototypes of a lower magnification version, used cell phones to illuminate the specimen slides ( glass slides are standard, and are cheap enough to meet the goals of providing low cost, but effective medical equipment ). It was not include in the presentation we were given, but since our group had more than one cell phone per microscope, we managed to take pictures of the specimens through the 'scope as well.
      >>

      >> I thought that since there are already Apps to convert audio Morse and PSK to text, then it should less complex of an App to send blinking light Morse. I am not sure you could blink the light fast enough to generate FSK or PSK, but it would not be a limit of the cell phone processor. Even so, it would be a small modification of the light communication demonstration that I use to convert PSK audio from a cell phone into a modulated light beam.

> [...]
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic