3615RE: [ScoutRadio] Re: National Jamboree Summit on the Air

  • Stephen M. Shearer
    May 8, 2010

    With “about a dozen Hams,” congratulations…

    Two Meters: 145.17 -600KHz shift - monitored 24/7 - Jamboree Net 1900 each evening
    70 cm: 442.90 +5MHz shift
    Note: (both) 100Hz PL tone…

    The above is the K2BSA repeater – in the past it was located at the K2BSA demo site.  I don’t know (for sure) for 2010.  K2BSA (not on many/any maps…)  is near the OA Show (see Google earth attachment)

    All simplex freq’s are fair game.  I had no problem finding a freq in 2005 for me to use with my two boys – to find them when I had a day off.

    You can re-charge at K2BSA – but is more then a mile from sub camp 5…

    I am sure if you talked with the sub camp “people” you may be able to set up a charging station at sub camp HQ.  (see Fred, T501 2nd ASM, as he knows many of the sub camp 5 staff – and push Fred to go to the license classes…  I think he is 2nd ASM?)

    Sub camp 5 also has a bathhouse (adults and youth?) that should also have 115VAC – someone would need to watch the chargers (a good reason for rapid charging).

    My son, KB3LUF, is in Troop 501 and I plan on sending him off with a good supply of AA batteries to use in an AA battery pack for his HT.  He WILL be running APRS from his HT so that I have “at least” one station at Jambo running APRS for the demo tent to show…  The Yeasu VX-8’s are APRS (144.390) ready and K2BSA will have a number of digi’s on site, too.

    I have thought about sending him off with (or bringing it to him) a 10 watt solar panel and gell cell to recharge his HT.  A fully charged gell cell battery could charge a number of HT’s before it (gell cell) needed to be re-charged (at bathhouse?).

    73, Steve

    From: dgaddis@comcast. net
    Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 13:15:01 +0000

    Hi,

    K2BSA will be operating continuously during the upcoming 2010 National Scout Jamboree. Your group in San Gabriel Mountains will be able to make contact on the standard Scout frequencies.

    Please visit www.nsj2010ham. com for all the details on the K2BSA operation at Jamboree.

    David
    --
    2010 National Scout Jamboree
    K2BSA Amateur Radio Staff

    David Q. Gaddis, P.E., KE4KPC
    5600 Green Valley Drive
    Knoxville , TN 37914
    (865) 637-2173

    dgaddis@comcast. net
    k2bsa@comcast. net
    www.nsj2010ham. com

    --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogro ups.com, "Gregory" <more_toys@. ..> wrote:

    > Attn South Western US Hams. I had an idea, but need some help
    making it happen.

    > During the 2010 National BSA Jamboree, Jul 26-Aug4, wouldn't it be cool if
    we could have Jamboree participants in Virginia talk to Hams operating from the peak (or on-the-mountain) of Mt. Baden-Powell in the San Gabriel Mountains ?

    > Prefereably the hams on Mt. BP would be
    scouts. This could be a 2-3 day, or all week, operating event and we could send special QSL cards from there - with special event call sign W6BP or similar.

    > Does anyone have experience doing something like this before? Give me a
    call/email - or answer back to this group - if you think we can make it happen.

    __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

    http://www.eset. com

    __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5096 (20100507) __________

    http://www.eset. com