3570Re: [ScoutRadio] Amateur Radio Venture Crew

  • jason
    Mar 8, 2010
      Glad to hear that there are other ham radio based venture crews out there. I am with Venture Crew 47 Peabody, MA. We have done several scouting events and have had an hf station setup. We have used several different antennas. The one that we have found to work quite well is the cushcraft av-5. It may not work for you as you said height is sometimes an issue. Good luck with the crew.
      --
      Thanks,
           Jason- KB1PQB

      On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Dale Lamm <DaleLamm@...> wrote:

      [snip]

      I would love to hear what any of you would recommend and any experiences with portable HF antennas which are demo-worthy.

      [end]

      At first, tried helical-stick dipoles, very poor.

      Get a pole that can lift an inverted-V 25 or 30 feet. Build a 40 M dipole and attach the middle to the pole top. Tie rope to the ends of the dipole so they are not anchored right at ground level. I feed with 300 Ohm TV twinlead to a balanced tuner. A 100 watt rig can be run from a small tractor battery for several hours. Works nice on 15 M too, lousy on 80 & 20.

      My "pole" is 5 or 6 sections of green military fiberglass pipe that are commonly seen in the Dayton hamvention flea market. Guy it up with 3 or 4 guys at about 66% height. Get some Scouts to help with setup, it's better if they are involved with station construction.

      73 de Dale

      --
      Thanks,
           Jason- KB1PQB