3563Re: [ScoutRadio] Re: Boy Scouts reinstate Signaling Merit Badge for anniversary year 2010

  • Kymm Balinth-Regan
    Feb 7, 2010
      As of last Thursday National in Texas stated this was still just a proposal on the table....They will let
      us know when or if they follow through....The person "teaching" and signing off must be a
      registered merit badge councelor with council and this was also another sticking point since this is a
      temp badge reinstatement for the anniversary

      On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 14:39:00 -0000, kd4gcf wrote
      > Hello All,
      >
      > There is a rate reuirement(reference requirement 1) for Morse for
      > send and receive. 35 letters per minute with a sound device.
      >
      > Require 2 has a rate of 20 letter per minute with a light device.
      >
      > Merit Badge passage constitues not only an understanding of a skill
      > but the ability to proform a skill. Actually all requirements in
      > Scouting is "a skill requirement". Yes the second class skill is to
      > a lesses level and the for a merit badge but you still have to
      > product the slill to meet the requirement to have it counted as passed.
      >
      > Watch those toes I step on :-)
      > Lee Price
      > Eagle Scout
      > kd4gcf
      >
      > --- In ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com, Bill Stewart <w2bsa@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Folks,
      > > If it's anything like the old First Class signaling requirement, I think
      > > there was no speed requirement. You just had to know Morse.
      > >
      > > YiS
      > >
      > > Bill Stewart W2BSA
      > > COR and UC Crew 80
      > >
      > > On 2/6/2010 4:34, David Ritchie wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I am just curious - why 35 characters per minute? This translates to 7
      > > > WPM, and most
      > > > practice tapes etc. are geared to the 5 WPM rate formerly used for
      > > > amateur radio testing.
      > > > Computer based programs can easily generate this, but..
      > > >
      > > > also, 35 characters per minute on flag signaling may be pretty quick,
      > > > particularly if
      > > > you are using big flags (over a long distance, where big flags are
      > > > necessary.)
      > > >
      > > > Yours in Scouting,
      > > > Dave Ritchie N4DJS
      > > > ASM, Troop 714