3546Re: [ScoutRadio] Boy Scouts reinstate Signaling Merit Badge for anniversary year 2010

  • Kymm Balinth-Regan
    Feb 1, 2010

      I just spoke to national in Irving Texas and they stated that this has been suspended and is not going to be for mow...they will post it on scouting .org if they in the future go through with it

      On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:44:12 -0800 (PST), James Olson wrote

      > For a limited time only:  Signaling Merit Badge is back!  In celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America, four Merit Badges (Carpentry, Pathfinding, Tracking, and Signaling) are being made available during the year 2010.  These badges were retired over the years, but have been brought back to help the boys connect to their Scouting heritage as they look to the future.
      >
      > As mentioned on a Scouting website:
      >
      > "If this is a program you want to bring to your troop, the BSA suggests you track down merit badge counselors soon. For Carpentry, contact a local cabinet-making business. A nearby Homeland Security office could help you with Pathfinding. Signaling would benefit from the help of a local amateur ham radio group.  And for Tracking, try your [UTF-8?]state’s department of natural resources. Those are merely suggestions. Be creative!"
      >
      > Work on the badges is not to commence prior to January 1, 2010 and is to be finished no later than December 31, 2010.

      Requirements:

      1. Make an electric buzzer outfit, wireless, blinker, or other signaling device. Send and receive in the International Morse Code, by buzzer or other sound device, a complete message of not less than 35 words, at a rate of not less than 35 letters per minute.
      2. Demonstrate an ability to send and receive a message in the International Morse Code by wigwag and by blinker or other light signaling device at a rate of not less than 20 letters per minute.
      3. Send and receive by Semaphore Code at the rate of not less than 30 letters per minute.
      4. Know the proper application of the International Morse Code and Semaphore Codes; when, where, and how they can be used to best advantage.
      5. Discuss briefly various other codes and methods of signaling which are in common use.

      > As a special recognition, the badges will have a gold thread around the border of the emblem.
      >
      > http://usscouts. org/mb/signaling .asp
      >
      > http://blog. scoutingmagazine .org/2010/ 01/historical- merit-badges- help-boy- scouts-celebrate -scoutings- past.html
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > James Olson, W4JO