3538Re: [ScoutRadio] Winter camporee station

  • Keith Kaiser
    Jan 6, 2010
      The Scouts respond best to things they can see right up close. For digital I would suggest SSTV, easy setup, and you could collect pictures all day to share with the boys. PSK31 is also real easy to setup but a little less intuitive to the boys perhaps because they can't understand what they are seeing as easily. The waterfall is easy enough to understand so by all means give it a try as well.

      Good luck and 73's

      On Jan 6, 2010, at 10:43 PM, JRK wrote:

      Hi all
      Old Capitol Valley District will be holding a winter
      camporee Jan. 30 & 31 in Coralville Iowa.

      We will be setting up a radio station for our scouts to
      come in and discover ham radio.
      We will have an HF station on 20 meters working around
      14.290. We also hope to have an echolink station running
      and a 2 meter rig scanning the local repeaters.
      Call sign will be KB0GVI

      We will have some code sheets and keys there for the
      scouts to play with, also info on test requirements, and
      inexpensive ways to get on the air.

      We also plan on having a few stories of hams in action, ie
      the Iowa City tornado of a few years ago and the flooding
      in Cedar Rapids. Along with this I am going to have
      contact info for the local clubs.

      I have not done any digital modes on radio and am looking
      for info on the to present to the scouts. Any suggestions
      would be a big help.
      Thanks and '73s
      Jeff KB0GVI

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic