1696RE: Public Education On Ham Radio Re: [ScoutRadio] New Member

  • J. Gordon Beattie, Jr.
    Dec 4, 2005
      Fred,
      Your points about folks who can educate Scouts, or anyone else about Ham
      Radio are well taken. However, a bunch of local Hams trained our Boy Scout
      Troop 139 in Bergenfield, NJ for 3 out of four weeks for about three months.
      Each session was just over an hour and it yielded two new Scout/Hams, one
      Scouter/Ham with a few more being mentored by these new ones plus a few
      others. They should have their tickets in the next couple of months. Also,
      we ended up with 24 Scouts with the Electricity/Electronics/Radio MBs.
      Somewhere I have one page document describing why Troops should want to do
      what we did.
      Two final points:
      1. It does take a lot of time to do this.
      2. We have thirty-year old police officers who don't know what Amateur Radio
      is, let alone how it can be used. WE NEED TO KEEP UP THE PROMOS AND
      EDUCATE!

      73,
      Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
      201.314.6964