1259Re: [Scoutradio] Scouts on Field Day

  • Bill Stewart
    Feb 13, 2004
      Tom, getting more youth involved in a strictly Amateur Radio Venturing
      Crew is a difficult proposition. It is difficult in that we are a
      specific interest group as opposed
      to a general interest or high adventure crew.
      We in Venturing Crew 80 have combined Amateur Radio with first aid and
      until recently we provided first aid support to our district camporees.
      Our youth nixed providing that support after they provided support to
      the Red Cross, City of Alexandria, VA and Fairfax County, VA during
      Hurricane Isabel
      and felt that they had "out grown" the Boy Scouts.
      We still do support our district and council, but, in ways that allows
      the youth to interact more with their peers.
      We also support such events as the Marine Corps Marathon here in DC and
      the Make-A-Wish Foundation Triathlon in Bethany Beach, DE. We have been
      fortunate to have the resources available to us to secure tours of the
      US. Coast Guard Communications Area Master Station Atlantic (CAMSLANT)
      in Chesapeke, VA and US Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, NC. This
      trip included a familiarity flight aboard a US Coast Guard HC-130J
      Search and Rescue Aircraft. CAMSLANT is the Coast Guard radio station
      which sent the last morse code transmission on the old 500khz distress
      The combination of the two shows the youth the public service uses of
      Amateur Radio and radio in general. Our primary method of recruiting is
      through the running
      of Technician Class license courses. We do it over three weekends using
      the ARRL material and lecture.

      Any questions please email me directly at w2bsa@...

      Bill Stewart, W2BSA, Venturing Crew 80, National Capital Area Council,
      Colonial District

      KB3CVS (Tom) wrote:

      >I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how to get more
      >scout involvement in a local Amateur Radio Venture Crew in the
      >Baltimore, MD area? We seem to be having a hard time locating scouts
      >who want to learn more about radio and computers, which the Venture Crew
      >specializes in.
      >We've tried to invite the local scouts to Field Day in the past, and
      >this year we're doing so once again - offering up being able to work on
      >the Radio Merit badge as something they can do while visiting, and
      >perhaps camping overnight with us for Field Day.
      >As far as Field Day goes, we've been invited the last several years to
      >join the ARINC Amateur Radio club in an absolutely beautiful park
      >(Thomas Point Park, in Annapolis, MD) which is a beautiful penninsula
      >right across from the Thomas Point Lighthouse in the Chesapeake Bay.
      >Unfortunately, we've only had a few folks join us in years past. (Last
      >year's Press Release from ARINC:
      >http://www.arinc.com/news/2003/06-25-03.html )
      >I was really hoping someone here might have some ideas how to
      >"advertise" or draw attention to it, to increase our audience. We're
      >trying getting our local district and council to put something in the
      >newsletters and web pages. Any other ideas? I'm concentrating on a
      >Field Day experience (we've been to district campouts, and the like
      >before) hoping the equipment and activity will be of interest.
      >Thanks for your time!
      >Tom Hendricks
      >Check out the UK Radio-Scouting page here at Yahoo!Groups. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/radio-scouting-uk
      >Visit "Operation On Target BSA" Mountain Top Signaling:
      >Visit the "Adventure Radio Society" http://www.natworld.com/ars/
      >ScoutRadio start page:
      >Post message: ScoutRadio@yahoogroups.com
      >Yahoo! Groups Links