Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] The new Scottish War Prisoners group

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
      Hello, Descendents and Friends of Scottish War Prisoners,

      Thanks for publicizing the group, Tod.

      Since the old list was overrun by spam and the old moderator wasn't doing
      anything to block it, I started a new list. Its e-mail address
      is scottish_war_prisoners@yahoogroups.com (same as the old address but with
      underscores between scottish, war and prisoners).. Some of the people on the old
      list didn't join the new list so it is much smaller (only 33 members) and has
      not been as active as the old list.

      Send your e-mail address to me at eleahall@... and I'll send you an
      invitation to join the new list.

      To avoid getting spam from the old list, set up your e-mail to block the old
      group (scottishwarprisoners@yahoogroups. com -- no underscores) . I don't know
      what happened to the moderator of the old group. The new list will not have
      spam, since as moderator I approve of every e-mail before it is sent to the
      group.

      There is a lot of group information available for the new list,
      at http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/scottish_ war_prisoners. Under Files, there
      are several useful files from NEHGR (New England Historical and Genealogical
      Research), including, on p. 378, the list of passengers on the John and Sarah,
      one of the main ships that brought Scottish War Prisoners. On Links, most of the
      links don't work (do you know what they should be?), but the link to Scottish
      Research does work and has a lot of useful links.

      Most of this information was provided by Teresa Rust, who has done more for the
      group than I have.

      After you have joined the list, would you like to provide information on your
      SWP ancestor and maybe get additional information from others? Please send an
      e-mail to scottish_war_prisoners@yahoogroups.com, and tell us about your
      interests (who was your Scottish war prisoners ancestor, etc.). Any info you
      have to share with the group would be welcome.

      Best,

      Eleanor Ross Hall (Ellie), Group Moderator

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
        Hello, All,

        To go to the group web site,
        http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/scottish_war_prisoners -- Copy the url into your
        browser and make sure there are no blank spaces in it. Blank spaces have a way
        of creeping in.

        I corrected most of the links, but I don't know the link to "Passenger Lists on
        the Internet." Does anyone know it?

        Happy hunting,

        Ellie Hall

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010