Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Is the Scottish War Prisoners group defunct?

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 25, 2010
      great! let me know what happens
      -Ericka

      "I went crazy. Not stupid."-House M.D.

      --- On Thu, 11/25/10, todd.d.robbins@... <todd.d.robbins@...> wrote:

      From: todd.d.robbins@... <todd.d.robbins@...>
      Subject: Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Is the Scottish War Prisoners group defunct?
      To: ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, November 25, 2010, 5:38 PM

      Well if we can contact the administrator, we can fix the spam problem, or
      I'd be happy to start a new group.

      Tod

    • Rita Robins
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
        I also would be interested in a non spam site.
        Rita

      • todd.d.robbins@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
          I just found out members of this group who couldn't get the admin to stop
          the spam created a new group (same name):

          I've joined the group and have already had a great experience. Come on over!

          Tod

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
            Hello, Descendents and Friends of Scottish War Prisoners,

            Thanks for publicizing the group, Tod.

            Since the old list was overrun by spam and the old moderator wasn't doing
            anything to block it, I started a new list. Its e-mail address
            is scottish_war_prisoners@yahoogroups.com (same as the old address but with
            underscores between scottish, war and prisoners).. Some of the people on the old
            list didn't join the new list so it is much smaller (only 33 members) and has
            not been as active as the old list.

            Send your e-mail address to me at eleahall@... and I'll send you an
            invitation to join the new list.

            To avoid getting spam from the old list, set up your e-mail to block the old
            group (scottishwarprisoners@yahoogroups. com -- no underscores) . I don't know
            what happened to the moderator of the old group. The new list will not have
            spam, since as moderator I approve of every e-mail before it is sent to the
            group.

            There is a lot of group information available for the new list,
            at http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/scottish_ war_prisoners. Under Files, there
            are several useful files from NEHGR (New England Historical and Genealogical
            Research), including, on p. 378, the list of passengers on the John and Sarah,
            one of the main ships that brought Scottish War Prisoners. On Links, most of the
            links don't work (do you know what they should be?), but the link to Scottish
            Research does work and has a lot of useful links.

            Most of this information was provided by Teresa Rust, who has done more for the
            group than I have.

            After you have joined the list, would you like to provide information on your
            SWP ancestor and maybe get additional information from others? Please send an
            e-mail to scottish_war_prisoners@yahoogroups.com, and tell us about your
            interests (who was your Scottish war prisoners ancestor, etc.). Any info you
            have to share with the group would be welcome.

            Best,

            Eleanor Ross Hall (Ellie), Group Moderator

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
              Hello, All,

              To go to the group web site,
              http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/scottish_war_prisoners -- Copy the url into your
              browser and make sure there are no blank spaces in it. Blank spaces have a way
              of creeping in.

              I corrected most of the links, but I don't know the link to "Passenger Lists on
              the Internet." Does anyone know it?

              Happy hunting,

              Ellie Hall

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010