Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Is the Scottish War Prisoners group defunct?

  • todd.d.robbins@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 25, 2010
      Well if we can contact the administrator, we can fix the spam problem, or
      I'd be happy to start a new group.

      Tod

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 25, 2010
        great! let me know what happens
        -Ericka

        "I went crazy. Not stupid."-House M.D.

        Well if we can contact the administrator, we can fix the spam problem, or
        I'd be happy to start a new group.

        Tod

      • Rita Robins
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
          I also would be interested in a non spam site.
          Rita

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
            I just found out members of this group who couldn't get the admin to stop
            the spam created a new group (same name):

            I've joined the group and have already had a great experience. Come on over!

            Tod

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
              Hello, Descendents and Friends of Scottish War Prisoners,

              Thanks for publicizing the group, Tod.

              Since the old list was overrun by spam and the old moderator wasn't doing
              anything to block it, I started a new list. Its e-mail address
              is scottish_war_prisoners@yahoogroups.com (same as the old address but with
              underscores between scottish, war and prisoners).. Some of the people on the old
              list didn't join the new list so it is much smaller (only 33 members) and has
              not been as active as the old list.

              Send your e-mail address to me at eleahall@... and I'll send you an
              invitation to join the new list.

              To avoid getting spam from the old list, set up your e-mail to block the old
              group (scottishwarprisoners@yahoogroups. com -- no underscores) . I don't know
              what happened to the moderator of the old group. The new list will not have
              spam, since as moderator I approve of every e-mail before it is sent to the
              group.

              There is a lot of group information available for the new list,
              at http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/scottish_ war_prisoners. Under Files, there
              are several useful files from NEHGR (New England Historical and Genealogical
              Research), including, on p. 378, the list of passengers on the John and Sarah,
              one of the main ships that brought Scottish War Prisoners. On Links, most of the
              links don't work (do you know what they should be?), but the link to Scottish
              Research does work and has a lot of useful links.

              Most of this information was provided by Teresa Rust, who has done more for the
              group than I have.

              After you have joined the list, would you like to provide information on your
              SWP ancestor and maybe get additional information from others? Please send an
              e-mail to scottish_war_prisoners@yahoogroups.com, and tell us about your
              interests (who was your Scottish war prisoners ancestor, etc.). Any info you
              have to share with the group would be welcome.

              Best,

              Eleanor Ross Hall (Ellie), Group Moderator

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010
                Hello, All,

                To go to the group web site,
                http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/scottish_war_prisoners -- Copy the url into your
                browser and make sure there are no blank spaces in it. Blank spaces have a way
                of creeping in.

                I corrected most of the links, but I don't know the link to "Passenger Lists on
                the Internet." Does anyone know it?

                Happy hunting,

                Ellie Hall

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 28, 2010