Covenanters

  • Highman
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 1999
      Hello List,
      I found a web page about Covenanters that is pretty thorough. I have not found my way through all of it yet, to see if it covers the prisoners of Dunbar or Worcester.
      http://www.covenanter.org/
      Jan
    • rwrichmond@148ndr.freeserve.co.uk
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2001
        Hi
        I'm new to this group, but would venture to suggest that some of the
        sources being looked at could be usefully augmented.
        "A Cloud of Witnesses" by John H. Thomson, (originally published in
        1714, in Edinburgh) republished by Sprinkle in (I think)1989 covers
        the martyrdom of some 60 Scottish martyrs. It also has appendices
        listing some those banished, though not always by name. An example
        of a fuller list might be the following:
        "Anno 1686, March 30 were banished to Barbadoes, John Stewart, James
        Douglas, John Russel, James Hamilton, William Hannay, George White,
        Gilbert McCulloch, Thomas Brown, John Brown, William Hay, John
        Wright, John Richard, Alexander Bailie, Marion Weir, Bessie Weir,
        Isabel Steel, Isabel Cassils, Agnes Keir."

        "A Cloud of Witnesses" gives an insight into the "killing times" when
        Scots were murdered for mere suspicion of covenanting activity. A
        result of this was the fleeing of many Scots to North America to
        escape persecution - sometimes via Ireland.

        My own curiosity is the fate of the family of John Richmond of
        Galston Ayrshire, who was beheaded at Glasgow Cross on 19th March,
        1684, his head then being fixed on a spike above the Tolbooth, for
        having allegedly been at the Battle of Bothwell and for having
        harboured fugitives.
        In his speech he refers to his wife and baby. What became of them?
        I'd be grateful for any information which may be out there.

        Rod Richmond