Directory of Scots by David Dobson

  • Teresa R.
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2007
      Here are some specific publications that might be helpful for some on this list:

      From: http://www.genealogical.com/products/Directory%20of%20Scots%20in%20the%20Carolinas,%201680-1830/1483.html
      Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830 by David Dobson

      '); //-->

      Format: Hardcover

      Pages: xiv + 322 pp.

      Published: 1986

      Reprinted: 2002

      Out Of Print

      ISBN: 9780806311432

      Item #: GPC1483 On a trip here from Scotland, David Dobson searched the archives of North and South Carolina and found a mass of material proving the presence of a large number of Scots in the Carolinas before and after the Revolution. He located similar records in university libraries and historical societies, and he also found in the 1850 Federal Census more information on persons of Scottish origin.
      The result of this research appears here in Volume 1 of Directory of Scots in the Carolinas (see also Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830, Volume 2). In this work Mr. Dobson presents, for the first time, a comprehensive list of Scottish settlers in the Carolinas from 1680 to 1830. In general, the details provided include age, place and date of birth, and often names of parents, names of spouse and children, occupation, place of residence, and the date of emigration from Scotland. About 6,000 Scots are identified in this book, and a small number are listed in Dobson's Scottish Settlers series, but the majority--90% or so--are listed here for the first time.
      This volume is also available on our Family Archive CD 7268.
      SEE ALSO THESE RELATED TITLES BY DAVID DOBSON:
      Scots in New England
      Scots in Georgia and the Deep South, 1735-1845
      Scots in the Mid-Atlantic States, 1635-1783
      Scots in the Mid-Atlantic States, 1783-1883
      Scots on the Chesapeake, 1607-1830
      Scots in the West Indies, 1707-1857
      Scots in the USA and Canada, 1825-1875
      Scots in the USA and Canada, 1825-1875, Part Two

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11, 2007
        A reminder -- join the new Scottish War Prisoner's
        group, moderated to eliminate spam. People will start
        posting to it on Monday, and you don't want to miss
        anything.

        To join, send an e-mail. In the To box, put:
        scottish_war_prisoners-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        That's scottish_war_prisoners with underscores, then
        -subscribe with a hyphen.

        We now have 11 members. If you've tried to join and
        aren't sure if you have joined, or if you have any
        other questions, e-mail me at eleahall@...

        I will remain a member of the old group, in order to
        hear from people who find it, so I can let them know
        about the new group.

        Eleanor Hall, Moderator
        Scottish War Prisoners Yahoo Group