Ship's Passenger Lists

  • Teresa R.
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2007
      Good Morning!

      It is important to remember that these lists are not complete. I've not found a site online at this point that has a complete list. It is possible that we will never know ALL of the Scottish prisoners that came to MA in 1651 and 1652. If anyone knows of a better site, please let me know. Thanks!

      There does seem to be some confusion about what ship came first and after which battle. One authoritative site, says, that the Unity brought the prisoners from after the Battle of Dunbar, and the John &Sara (Sarah) brought prisoners after the Battle of Worcester. I am still keeping an open mind.

      HTH,
      Teresa (Hamilton-Pepper) Rust
      Emigrant Ancestor:
      John Hamilton, b c1634, Scotland, in Charlestown, MA 1658.

      Ship Passenger List of The "John & Sara" out of London 1651 and bound for New England with Scottish Prisoners. (alphabetized)

      http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/nh/strafford/history/scotchprisonrs.txt

      Scotch Prisoners Sent to Massachusetts in 1652,
      By Order of the English Government
      Extracted from
      New England Historical & Genealogical Register
      Vol 1, p 377 - 380
      October 1847:
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jdevlin/ma/ma_scot_prisoners.htm

      List of Scots prisoners sent to New England around 1651

      http://www.electricscotland.com/history/america/scots_prisoners.htm

      Scottish Regiments at the Battle of Worcester

      http://www.electricscotland.com/history/articles/worcester.htm