Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Getting rid of spam messages to this group

    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
      Richard,
      I am looking for information on Robert Abernathy, who
      was in the Battle of Dunbar and the Battle of
      Worcester, and came ot Virginia as an Indentured
      Servant after being taken as a prisoner of war. I
      think he came into Jamestown. Any suggestions?-Thank
      you, and I'm not starting hte new group, but I think
      someone else here is!-Ericka

      http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
    • Teresa R.
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
        Hello Erika,

        The little research I've done on this subject seems to indicate that any Scot that survived the Battle of Dunbar, was marched directly to England and then finally put on a ship to the British Colonies (America) and I think all those ships went to Charlestown. MA, from Gravesend, England. Do you know when your ancestor first arrived in America?

        I have some links to share with everyone, I've just been waiting until the new list is started.

        Teresa (Hamilton-Pepper) Rust
        Redding, CA

      • Teresa R.
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
          Hi Richard,
          Would you mind looking for John Hamilton on either the "Unity," in 1651, or the "John & Sara," in 1652.
          Thanks!
          Teresa (Hamilton) Rust

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
            Teresa,
            I don't have the papers right in front of me. But
            from what I recall, he was held prisoner in a church
            under horrible conditions. I can't remember the name
            ofhte church, but the story was so awful I am guessing
            someone might know! I think he came to America in
            1652. There were several Robert Abernathys (or
            Abernethy). As was the custom, several generations of
            men were named "Robert". -Thanks!-Ericka

            === message truncated ===

            http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
              Teresa and Richard,
              Do either of you have a suggestion for which ship I
              should start looking on?-Ericka

            • Teresa R.
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                I would try the "John and Sara(h)" which made several trips or the "Unity." Both English ships.
                Teresa

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 4, 2007
                  Teresa,
                  Thank you so much! Before I ask anymore questions, I
                  will read the next messages!-Ericka

                  === message truncated ===

                  http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/