Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Getting rid of spam messages to this group

  • RICHARD MCMICHAEL
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
      Ericka: Any insight as to how to start a research project dealing with the Covenanter Rebellion? (I hope I spelled correctly)

      Ericka Morgan <erickawaymorgan@...> wrote: Thank you for this message! I never read these things
      anymore because all it ever is is spam! If someone
      actually sends real ancestry messages that would be
      great.-Ericka

      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

    • Teresa R.
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
        Erika, Please start a NEW group! Just tell me how to join.
        Teresa

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
          Richard,
          Nice question, but I am sorry, I have no idea. i would
          love to find out more about the ABERNATHY's of
          Scotland. Do you know anything about them? Or how to
          find which ship an indentured servant came over on?

          http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
            Tersa, I don't know how to start a new group, but I
            would participate if someone figures it out.-Ericka

            Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
            http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
              Teresa,

              I am planning to start a new group, hopefully this
              weekend. I will add you to the list; no need for you
              to do anything to join.

              Eleanor

            • Teresa R.
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
                Great! I am looking forward to it.

                --- "Teresa R." <read2befree@...> wrote:

                > Erika, Please start a NEW group! Just tell me how to
                > join.
                > Teresa
                >
                > RICHARD MCMICHAEL <pojorojo@...> wrote:
                > Ericka: Any insight as to how to start a
                > research project dealing with the Covenanter
                > Rebellion? (I hope I spelled correctly)
                >
                > Ericka Morgan <erickawaymorgan@...> wrote:
                > Thank you for this message! I never read these
                > things
                > anymore because all it ever is is spam! If someone
                > actually sends real ancestry messages that would be
                > great.-Ericka
                > --- "Teresa R." <read2befree@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Thank-you Eleanor!
                > >
                > > I'll be happy to go with you to a new group if we
                > > don't hear from the moderator.
                > >
                > > Teresa
                > >
                > > Eleanor Hall <eleahall@...> wrote:
                > > Moderator, if you are there: It is
                > > possible to avoid
                > > spam. You can see the first e-mails posted by new
                > > members and if they are spam, remove the members.
                > > Follow this procedure:
                > >
                > > On the left side of any group page, click on
                > > Management.
                > > Under Group Settings, click Messages.
                > > Next to Postings & Archives, click Edit.
                > > In the Moderation column, choose New Members.
                > > Click Save Changes.
                > >
                > > Also, for those who have already joined and are
                > > sending spam, click on Edit Member. Then, at the
                > > bottom, Remove Member.
                > >
                > > (I'm not sure if the above is correct in every
                > > detail,
                > > but that's the general idea. I have used it with a
                > > group that I manage and have had no more spam.)
                > >
                > > Moderator, if you can't do this (maybe you are
                > sick
                > > or
                > > can't handle the group for some other reason), I
                > > volunteer to set up a new group. I would call it
                > > Scottish_War_Prisoners, easy to remember since
                > it's
                > > the old name with underscores. I've been busy the
                > > last
                > > few weeks, but I will do this if we don't hear
                > from
                > > you.
                > >
                > > Eleanor
                > >
                > > --- Teresa <read2befree@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > > I am very interested in learning more about my
                > > > ancestor's arrival in
                > > > Massachusetts, but I don't want to be inundated
                > > with
                > > > these SPAM
                > > > messages. This site needs a moderator. A
                > moderator
                > > > can put a stop to
                > > > this SPAM. Can someone help?
                > > >
                > > > Teresa (Hamilton-Pepper) Rust

                > > > removed]

                > > removed]

                > Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

                > removed]

                > removed]

              • Teresa R.
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
                  I guess I meant Eleanor. Sorry! I moderate several groups myself and we never get SPAM. It is easy to do.
                  Teresa

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
                    Ditto!-Ericka

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 31, 2007
                      No problem, I do hope you will include me in the new
                      group!-Ericka

                      http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
                    • RICHARD MCMICHAEL
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                        Ericka: No, sorry. I would need the name of the ship. I have a two volume set of all the English ships that set to sea up to the late 1960's. If I can be of any help, Just ask. Also, include on any new group you may establish. This spam is intolerable!

                        Ericka Morgan <erickawaymorgan@...> wrote: Richard,

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                          Richard,
                          I am looking for information on Robert Abernathy, who
                          was in the Battle of Dunbar and the Battle of
                          Worcester, and came ot Virginia as an Indentured
                          Servant after being taken as a prisoner of war. I
                          think he came into Jamestown. Any suggestions?-Thank
                          you, and I'm not starting hte new group, but I think
                          someone else here is!-Ericka

                          http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
                        • Teresa R.
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                            Hello Erika,

                            The little research I've done on this subject seems to indicate that any Scot that survived the Battle of Dunbar, was marched directly to England and then finally put on a ship to the British Colonies (America) and I think all those ships went to Charlestown. MA, from Gravesend, England. Do you know when your ancestor first arrived in America?

                            I have some links to share with everyone, I've just been waiting until the new list is started.

                            Teresa (Hamilton-Pepper) Rust
                            Redding, CA

                          • Teresa R.
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                              Hi Richard,
                              Would you mind looking for John Hamilton on either the "Unity," in 1651, or the "John & Sara," in 1652.
                              Thanks!
                              Teresa (Hamilton) Rust

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                Teresa,
                                I don't have the papers right in front of me. But
                                from what I recall, he was held prisoner in a church
                                under horrible conditions. I can't remember the name
                                ofhte church, but the story was so awful I am guessing
                                someone might know! I think he came to America in
                                1652. There were several Robert Abernathys (or
                                Abernethy). As was the custom, several generations of
                                men were named "Robert". -Thanks!-Ericka

                                === message truncated ===

                                http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                  Teresa and Richard,
                                  Do either of you have a suggestion for which ship I
                                  should start looking on?-Ericka

                                • Teresa R.
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                    I would try the "John and Sara(h)" which made several trips or the "Unity." Both English ships.
                                    Teresa

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 4, 2007
                                      Teresa,
                                      Thank you so much! Before I ask anymore questions, I
                                      will read the next messages!-Ericka

                                      === message truncated ===

                                      http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/