Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Getting rid of spam messages to this group

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 26 8:37 PM
      Moderator, if you are there: It is possible to avoid
      spam. You can see the first e-mails posted by new
      members and if they are spam, remove the members.
      Follow this procedure:

      On the left side of any group page, click on
      Management.
      Under Group Settings, click Messages.
      Next to Postings & Archives, click Edit.
      In the Moderation column, choose New Members.
      Click Save Changes.

      Also, for those who have already joined and are
      sending spam, click on Edit Member. Then, at the
      bottom, Remove Member.

      (I'm not sure if the above is correct in every detail,
      but that's the general idea. I have used it with a
      group that I manage and have had no more spam.)

      Moderator, if you can't do this (maybe you are sick or
      can't handle the group for some other reason), I
      volunteer to set up a new group. I would call it
      Scottish_War_Prisoners, easy to remember since it's
      the old name with underscores. I've been busy the last
      few weeks, but I will do this if we don't hear from
      you.

      Eleanor

      --- Teresa <read2befree@...> wrote:

      > I am very interested in learning more about my
      > ancestor's arrival in
      > Massachusetts, but I don't want to be inundated with
      > these SPAM
      > messages. This site needs a moderator. A moderator
      > can put a stop to
      > this SPAM. Can someone help?
      >
      > Teresa (Hamilton-Pepper) Rust

      > removed]

    • Teresa R.
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 26 9:28 PM
        Thank-you Eleanor!

        I'll be happy to go with you to a new group if we don't hear from the moderator.

        Teresa

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 27 8:39 AM
          Thank you for this message! I never read these things
          anymore because all it ever is is spam! If someone
          actually sends real ancestry messages that would be
          great.-Ericka

          Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
        • RICHARD MCMICHAEL
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 31 6:25 AM
            Ericka: Any insight as to how to start a research project dealing with the Covenanter Rebellion? (I hope I spelled correctly)

            Ericka Morgan <erickawaymorgan@...> wrote: Thank you for this message! I never read these things
            --- "Teresa R." <read2befree@...> wrote:

            > Thank-you Eleanor!
            >
            > I'll be happy to go with you to a new group if we
            > don't hear from the moderator.
            >
            > Teresa
            >
            > Eleanor Hall <eleahall@...> wrote:
            > Moderator, if you are there: It is
            > possible to avoid
            > spam. You can see the first e-mails posted by new
            > members and if they are spam, remove the members.
            > Follow this procedure:
            >
            > On the left side of any group page, click on
            > Management.
            > Under Group Settings, click Messages.
            > Next to Postings & Archives, click Edit.
            > In the Moderation column, choose New Members.
            > Click Save Changes.
            >
            > Also, for those who have already joined and are
            > sending spam, click on Edit Member. Then, at the
            > bottom, Remove Member.
            >
            > (I'm not sure if the above is correct in every
            > detail,
            > but that's the general idea. I have used it with a
            > group that I manage and have had no more spam.)
            >
            > Moderator, if you can't do this (maybe you are sick
            > or
            > can't handle the group for some other reason), I
            > volunteer to set up a new group. I would call it
            > Scottish_War_Prisoners, easy to remember since it's
            > the old name with underscores. I've been busy the
            > last
            > few weeks, but I will do this if we don't hear from
            > you.
            >
            > Eleanor
            >
            > --- Teresa <read2befree@...> wrote:
            >

            > > I am very interested in learning more about my
            > > ancestor's arrival in
            > > Massachusetts, but I don't want to be inundated
            > with
            > > these SPAM
            > > messages. This site needs a moderator. A moderator
            > > can put a stop to
            > > this SPAM. Can someone help?
            > >
            > > Teresa (Hamilton-Pepper) Rust

            > > removed]

            > removed]

            Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

          • Teresa R.
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 31 7:45 AM
              Erika, Please start a NEW group! Just tell me how to join.
              Teresa

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 31 8:43 AM
                Richard,
                Nice question, but I am sorry, I have no idea. i would
                love to find out more about the ABERNATHY's of
                Scotland. Do you know anything about them? Or how to
                find which ship an indentured servant came over on?

                http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 31 8:43 AM
                  Tersa, I don't know how to start a new group, but I
                  would participate if someone figures it out.-Ericka

                  Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
                  http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 31 9:22 AM
                    Teresa,

                    I am planning to start a new group, hopefully this
                    weekend. I will add you to the list; no need for you
                    to do anything to join.

                    Eleanor

                  • Teresa R.
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 31 9:45 AM
                      Great! I am looking forward to it.

                      --- "Teresa R." <read2befree@...> wrote:

                      > Erika, Please start a NEW group! Just tell me how to
                      > join.
                      > Teresa
                      >
                      > RICHARD MCMICHAEL <pojorojo@...> wrote:
                      > Ericka: Any insight as to how to start a
                      > research project dealing with the Covenanter
                      > Rebellion? (I hope I spelled correctly)
                      >
                      > Ericka Morgan <erickawaymorgan@...> wrote:
                      > Thank you for this message! I never read these
                      > things
                      > anymore because all it ever is is spam! If someone
                      > actually sends real ancestry messages that would be
                      > great.-Ericka
                      > --- "Teresa R." <read2befree@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Thank-you Eleanor!
                      > >
                      > > I'll be happy to go with you to a new group if we
                      > > don't hear from the moderator.
                      > >
                      > > Teresa
                      > >
                      > > Eleanor Hall <eleahall@...> wrote:
                      > > Moderator, if you are there: It is
                      > > possible to avoid
                      > > spam. You can see the first e-mails posted by new
                      > > members and if they are spam, remove the members.
                      > > Follow this procedure:
                      > >
                      > > On the left side of any group page, click on
                      > > Management.
                      > > Under Group Settings, click Messages.
                      > > Next to Postings & Archives, click Edit.
                      > > In the Moderation column, choose New Members.
                      > > Click Save Changes.
                      > >
                      > > Also, for those who have already joined and are
                      > > sending spam, click on Edit Member. Then, at the
                      > > bottom, Remove Member.
                      > >
                      > > (I'm not sure if the above is correct in every
                      > > detail,
                      > > but that's the general idea. I have used it with a
                      > > group that I manage and have had no more spam.)
                      > >
                      > > Moderator, if you can't do this (maybe you are
                      > sick
                      > > or
                      > > can't handle the group for some other reason), I
                      > > volunteer to set up a new group. I would call it
                      > > Scottish_War_Prisoners, easy to remember since
                      > it's
                      > > the old name with underscores. I've been busy the
                      > > last
                      > > few weeks, but I will do this if we don't hear
                      > from
                      > > you.
                      > >
                      > > Eleanor
                      > >
                      > > --- Teresa <read2befree@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > I am very interested in learning more about my
                      > > > ancestor's arrival in
                      > > > Massachusetts, but I don't want to be inundated
                      > > with
                      > > > these SPAM
                      > > > messages. This site needs a moderator. A
                      > moderator
                      > > > can put a stop to
                      > > > this SPAM. Can someone help?
                      > > >
                      > > > Teresa (Hamilton-Pepper) Rust

                      > > > removed]

                      > > removed]

                      > Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

                      > removed]

                      > removed]

                    • Teresa R.
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 31 9:50 AM
                        I guess I meant Eleanor. Sorry! I moderate several groups myself and we never get SPAM. It is easy to do.
                        Teresa

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 31 10:18 AM
                          Ditto!-Ericka

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 31 10:19 AM
                            No problem, I do hope you will include me in the new
                            group!-Ericka

                            http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
                          • RICHARD MCMICHAEL
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 1, 2007
                              Ericka: No, sorry. I would need the name of the ship. I have a two volume set of all the English ships that set to sea up to the late 1960's. If I can be of any help, Just ask. Also, include on any new group you may establish. This spam is intolerable!

                              Ericka Morgan <erickawaymorgan@...> wrote: Richard,

                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                Richard,
                                I am looking for information on Robert Abernathy, who
                                was in the Battle of Dunbar and the Battle of
                                Worcester, and came ot Virginia as an Indentured
                                Servant after being taken as a prisoner of war. I
                                think he came into Jamestown. Any suggestions?-Thank
                                you, and I'm not starting hte new group, but I think
                                someone else here is!-Ericka

                                http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
                              • Teresa R.
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                  Hello Erika,

                                  The little research I've done on this subject seems to indicate that any Scot that survived the Battle of Dunbar, was marched directly to England and then finally put on a ship to the British Colonies (America) and I think all those ships went to Charlestown. MA, from Gravesend, England. Do you know when your ancestor first arrived in America?

                                  I have some links to share with everyone, I've just been waiting until the new list is started.

                                  Teresa (Hamilton-Pepper) Rust
                                  Redding, CA

                                • Teresa R.
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                    Hi Richard,
                                    Would you mind looking for John Hamilton on either the "Unity," in 1651, or the "John & Sara," in 1652.
                                    Thanks!
                                    Teresa (Hamilton) Rust

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                      Teresa,
                                      I don't have the papers right in front of me. But
                                      from what I recall, he was held prisoner in a church
                                      under horrible conditions. I can't remember the name
                                      ofhte church, but the story was so awful I am guessing
                                      someone might know! I think he came to America in
                                      1652. There were several Robert Abernathys (or
                                      Abernethy). As was the custom, several generations of
                                      men were named "Robert". -Thanks!-Ericka

                                      === message truncated ===

                                      http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                        Teresa and Richard,
                                        Do either of you have a suggestion for which ship I
                                        should start looking on?-Ericka

                                      • Teresa R.
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 2, 2007
                                          I would try the "John and Sara(h)" which made several trips or the "Unity." Both English ships.
                                          Teresa

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 4, 2007
                                            Teresa,
                                            Thank you so much! Before I ask anymore questions, I
                                            will read the next messages!-Ericka

                                            === message truncated ===

                                            http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/