Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Ship: Unity...

  • Highman
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 12, 2000
      Chester,
      Thank you for introducing yourself. I thought I would reintroduce myself,
      since it has been a long time.
      I live in Northern California. My ancestor, Daniel Cone "appeared" in
      Connecticut in the late 1550's. The family history claims that he was taken
      prisoner at the Battle of Dunbar, but we have not found him on any lists.
      There is a Daniel Mac Hoe listed on the John and Sara, but I believe that
      carried prisoners from the Battle of Worcester. One thing I have considered
      is to see if this Daniel Mac Hoe can be traced. If so, he isn't "my"
      Daniel. If he can't, it doesn't prove anything, however, because, as I
      understand, a lot of the people who came on the John and Sara did not
      survive the trip to the Saugus Irpn Works. There is a mention of a birth in
      Edinburgh in 1626, but I have not been able to find the actual record. I
      came agonizingly close once, and picked up a possible mother's name.
      Someone later told me that the name was of a wife in Scotland. He did marry
      in Connecticut and registered that marriage in Edinburgh. He married
      Mahitable Spencer, who was descended from the same Spencer line as Diana.
      There were three younger Spencer brothers who came to the colonies, since
      only the oldest would inherit land and title. So, it happens that I have
      English roots as well. I can tell you that I am not proud of this fact,
      especially after seeing Braveheart!
      I have emailed Scotpress at the site Chester gave us to see if Lucille's
      book is available. I imagine they have had a few inquiries lately.

      Jan Highman
    • cowen
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 12, 2000
        Dear Jan,

        Thank you for accepting my late introduction to this list which I have
        found to be interesting and the persons who have corresponded directly with
        me are to be commended for having the stamina to proceed into the unknown of
        this endeavor!

        I do not know if any of the members have seen the following web page and
        since at my age I find I am not as thorough in retention of material read I
        ask that should anyone not something I may of missed to remind me of this
        factor and I shall accept the information in sincere appreciation.

        http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/archaeology/pages/battle.htm

        Enjoy, if not previously viewed and I remain,

        Respectfully,
        Chester...
        > Thank you for introducing yourself. I thought I would reintroduce
        myself,
        > since it has been a long time.
        > I live in Northern California. My ancestor, Daniel Cone "appeared" in
        > Connecticut in the late 1550's. The family history claims that he was
        taken
        > prisoner at the Battle of Dunbar, but we have not found him on any lists.
        > There is a Daniel Mac Hoe listed on the John and Sara, but I believe that
        > carried prisoners from the Battle of Worcester. One thing I have
        considered
        > is to see if this Daniel Mac Hoe can be traced. If so, he isn't "my"
        > Daniel. If he can't, it doesn't prove anything, however, because, as I
        > understand, a lot of the people who came on the John and Sara did not
        > survive the trip to the Saugus Irpn Works. There is a mention of a birth
        in
        > Edinburgh in 1626, but I have not been able to find the actual record. I
        > came agonizingly close once, and picked up a possible mother's name.
        > Someone later told me that the name was of a wife in Scotland. He did
        marry
        > in Connecticut and registered that marriage in Edinburgh. He married
        > Mahitable Spencer, who was descended from the same Spencer line as Diana.
        > There were three younger Spencer brothers who came to the colonies, since
        > only the oldest would inherit land and title. So, it happens that I have
        > English roots as well. I can tell you that I am not proud of this fact,
        > especially after seeing Braveheart!
        > I have emailed Scotpress at the site Chester gave us to see if Lucille's
        > book is available. I imagine they have had a few inquiries lately.
        >
        > Jan Highman

      • Luis Magaldi
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 14, 2000
          Dear Chester:
          Thank for the page that you sent me.
          Do you live in Scotland?
          Can Yask you a question?:
          Do you know if the name MacMagalow exist in Scotland?
          Woukd you help me in this. I´m live in Argentina and my true name is
          "Magaldi", an Italian last name, but I have some information that the name
          Magaldi is origined from Scotland as Magalow or MacMagalow

          Thank for your help
          Your faithfull
          Michel Magaldi
          > Thank you for accepting my late introduction to this list which I have
          >found to be interesting and the persons who have corresponded directly with
          >me are to be commended for having the stamina to proceed into the unknown
          of
          >this endeavor!
          >
          > I do not know if any of the members have seen the following web page
          and
          >since at my age I find I am not as thorough in retention of material read I
          >ask that should anyone not something I may of missed to remind me of this
          >factor and I shall accept the information in sincere appreciation.
          >
          >http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/archaeology/pages/battle.htm
          >
          > Enjoy, if not previously viewed and I remain,
          >
          >Respectfully,
          >Chester...

        • cowen
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 14, 2000
            My dear Luis,

            It is my pleasure to receive this message from you who resides in
            Argentina. I would hope you find the time to tell me something about your
            country!

            No, I do not live in Scotland! I was born in Rochester, Massachusetts
            and have lived in Florida since 1952 minus a few years in New Orleans,
            Louisiana. I know you are having your summer weather now and we are still
            enjoying the summer season although we did have the temperature at 22
            degrees last week.

            Luis, although I am not connected to the Scotland Gen Web it might be a
            way for you to learn about your surname and as to whether or not it is of
            Scotland. The fact you indicate Mac prior to Magalow gives me the feeling
            you may be right but if you do not have success on Gen Web then let me know
            and I will try to give you some other ideas!

            Respectfully,
            Chester H. Cowen {Cowing} de Colquhoun...
            Hernando, Citrus, Florida...
            cowen@...