John & Sara, 1651/52

  • Chester H. Cowen
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2000
      Dear List Members:
      I have had a chance to read some of the first messages and would like
      to extend my apology for not introducing myself first before entering
      into this search.
      My birth state is Massachusetts at Cowen's Corner, Rochester,
      Plymouth County. I am in my seventy-fourth year and have been on
      this trip since 1985. I have not been able to travel to Scotland but
      with the many contacts I have learned much about the country around
      Dunbartonshire.
      Beware of the fact one may find themselves paying money for services
      that offer you zilch and I have been down this road a number of times.
      I learned from one lady who indicated that men at the Battle of
      Worcester could have come from Edinburgh. The New York Public
      Library also made mention of this fact.
      My ancestor came aboard the John & Sara listed as John Coehon and
      this was brought to the attention of a researcher in Scotland who
      said that based on the Scots brogue that the English clerk aboard
      ship understood the pronunciation as just that.
      The Suffolk County Deeds of Boston, MA. holds a new list of the men
      who came aboard this ship and this is how I found my ancestor listed:
      JOHN [COLQUHOUN] COEHON. I obtained a copy of the Wm. Fraser
      genealogy on the Colquhoun family but no way do I see any connection
      to the elite.
      I have just asked for assistance again and the lady suggested I
      contact David Dobson. My contact with him and the purchase of some
      of his books have been of no value. I await the reply from a second
      lady and somehow this is how I found you! My pleasure to associate
      with other researchers in Scotland and especially since we have the
      same interest in the Dunbar & Worcester wars and I remain,
      Respectfully,
      Chester H. Cowen...
      Hernando, Citrus County, Florida