Re: [ScottishWarPrisoners] Where is the owner

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2007
      Please, let's be a little tolerant. Have you been the
      owner of a yahoo group? I have, and it is not easy
      because yahoo doesn't provide many instructions. The
      owner is doing this as a volunteer and is probably not
      an IT professional. So we can't expect everything to
      run perfectly. The owner may even be seriously ill or
      have some personal crisis that prevents attending to
      the group.

      Due to this wonderful invention, the Internet, we
      descendents of Scottish war prisoners are in touch
      with each other in a way that would have been
      impossible 20 years ago. I was fascinated by the
      discussion of criminal emigrants who may have claimed
      to be war prisoners. So I am willing to put up with a
      few glitches and spam. I don't think the amount of
      spam is that bad, in fact, I was amused by the offer
      to do criminal background checks. The amount of spam
      is not enough to make me not want to open messages.

      So let's be patient and see if the owner reappears.
      The group actually could go on without a owner for
      awhile. If there are serious problems, we could follow
      yahoo's suggestion and form another Scottish War
      Prisoners group.

      And owner, wherever you are, thank you for setting up
      this very helpful and interesting group.

      Eleanor Hall

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 30, 2007
        Eleanor Hall wrote:

        >Please, let's be a little tolerant. Have you been the
        >owner of a yahoo group? I have, and it is not easy
        >because yahoo doesn't provide many instructions. The
        >owner is doing this as a volunteer and is probably not
        >an IT professional. So we can't expect everything to
        >run perfectly. The owner may even be seriously ill or
        >have some personal crisis that prevents attending to
        >the group.

        My ire is not so much at the group owner as at Yahoogroups.

        A rootsweb list admin can appoint someone else to take over temporarily
        or permanently.

        A group owner does not have to be an IT professional. There are
        controls that other group owners use to prevent the potential spammers
        spammers from subscribing to a group.

        >Due to this wonderful invention, the Internet, we
        >descendents of Scottish war prisoners are in touch
        >with each other in a way that would have been
        >impossible 20 years ago. I was fascinated by the
        >discussion of criminal emigrants who may have claimed
        >to be war prisoners. So I am willing to put up with a
        >few glitches and spam. I don't think the amount of
        >spam is that bad, in fact, I was amused by the offer
        >to do criminal background checks. The amount of spam
        >is not enough to make me not want to open messages.
        >
        >So let's be patient and see if the owner reappears.
        >The group actually could go on without a owner for
        >awhile. If there are serious problems, we could follow
        >yahoo's suggestion and form another Scottish War
        >Prisoners group.
        >
        >And owner, wherever you are, thank you for setting up
        >this very helpful and interesting group.
        >
        >Eleanor Hall
        >
        >--- MARY MASON <mmason50@...> wrote:
        >

        >>Thank you Bob. I, too am tired of receiving spam
        >>stuff on this site. I truly hope something can be
        >>done about this problem. I stopped opening a lot of
        >>the messages unless I recognized a name. I
        >>appreciate your diligence in this matter.
        >>
        >>Mary (Cone descendent)

      • Dave Fisher
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 30, 2007
          I too am an owner of a Yahoo! group (different subject matter than
          here). The group came about when a previous "open" group became spam-
          ridden and the owner specifically chose not to do anything about it,
          though he could have. It included such prolific spamming luminaries
          as our "josalyne-overfeltÂ…" and "chani-kopnickyÂ…," among others. So
          I set up an alternative group, this time "moderated," and I have one
          trusted co-moderator to share the administrative and housekeeping
          chores. I know that I have full control and responsibility for the
          group, and feel that I am given adequate tools by Yahoo! to do so. A
          moderated group is probably easier to run than an open one, though an
          owner is expected to be attentive.

          If in time it is felt that an alternative to this group should be
          established I would recommend that it also be moderated. Once
          established, I would leave a message here with the new group's URL,
          and inviting this membership to check it out and request to join if
          they choose. The simple vetting process in requesting to join is
          effective for culling out the dis-interested, lurkers, and spammers.
          In my case, virtually all the serious people came over in time, and
          none of the spammers. I had one spammer try to gain entry by overt
          deception and was detected, booted and banned within minutes.

          Dave Fisher

          --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, bob gillis