Re: George Gray and fornication

  • Dave Fisher
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 16, 2007
      My guess is that the Massachusetts Bay Colony and the York County
      Court (then part of the MBC) took a dimmer view of what the Scottish
      ex-prisoners took as a norm. The court proceeding fell about halfway
      between the establishment of the Puritan colony and the later Salem
      witch trials.

      Dave

      --- In ScottishWarPrisoners@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Sutherland-Fisher"
      <msf10@...> wrote:

      > Eleanor,
      > Sex before marriage was the norm in Scotland and probably England
      as well
      > until Queen Victoria and her German morals kicked in!
      >
      > At a time when divorce was only for the rich and powerful, the only
      reason a
      > couple married was to have children and the only way they would
      know if they
      > could ahve children togther was to try. The normal practice in
      Scotland was

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 16, 2007
        Mark Sutherland-Fisher wrote:

        >Eleanor,
        >Sex before marriage was the norm in Scotland and probably England as well
        >until Queen Victoria and her German morals kicked in!

        I think that the Puritans had a lot to do with it also.